• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Read this before traveling to buy an NSX.

An alternative if you don't have someone you know who can inspect a car is SGS, a company that does automotive inspections. They are affiliated with eBay Motors, although they seem to be an independent company. I had them check my NSX before flying across the country to buy it, and I was very happy with the report they supplied. They charge $139 for exotic cars like the NSX, but it was 100% worth it. They gave me a list of every tiny scratch on the car, all of which you couldn't see from 2 feet away, and even ones on the edge of the door, behind the door handle, on the side of the rear wing (hidden when the trunk is closed!). They check for signs of accident repair. They test all the major functionality of the car during a short test drive. They also inspect the interior.

There is a sample report on their web site and more info:

http://sgs-ebay.sgsauto.com/index.htm

Boy...you are sure lucky that Columbia Acura was booked that day. Last time I went to Columbia one of the service managers asked what kind of car I had when I parked it in front of the service drive. :eek: Yes, that literally was the last time I went there.

And like everyone else said. Might have been a good idea to post and see if anyone could look at the car before you. I would have been happy to check it out. Also, a carfax would have been appropriate before such a long trip.

You live, you learn.

Good Luck next time.

TAG said:
Yes; the Carfax database cannot give you information it doesn't have. I think Carfax is valuable for DMV information, but only marginally useful for collision information.

Indeed. Carfax is privy only to public records. Therefore only title changes and accidents reported to the police show up. Places like Mom and Pop oil joints and body shops don't report. Nor do most insurance companies. So you're not going to see accidents on there that weren't reported to authorities. Think about it...why would anyone shell out money to report to Carfax if they didn't have to?

TAG said:
These two mechanics at Superior Acura in Cincinnati worked on the car for almost two hours, and charged me only $88.00 for the inspection. I’m going to write a letter to Acura Corporate, commending them for their outstanding level of service.
Please send a copy to the General Manager and the Service Manager at Superior Acura!

Back