• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Read this before traveling to buy an NSX.

TAG

Experienced Member
I would like to recount an experience I had last week. I saw an ad on the Internet listing a 1992 NSX; red w/ an automatic transmission (I need the auto transmission so the wife can drive it) and 94k on the clock. The guy was asking 26K for the car. The ad for the car states the following:

Selling Points: Three owner car. All major services have been completed. New timing belt, radiator, tires, pumps, etc. Dealer serviced. Always garaged. Non smoker car. Original manuals, car cover, etc.
Condition: Absolutely the cleanest you will find. Beautiful paint, interior excellent. Immaculate car inside and out”.

This seemed to be just what I was looking for! I spoke with the guy briefly on the phone and made arrangements to take three days off work to travel to Ohio and inspect the car before purchase. I got settled into the hotel room in Cincinnati and prepared to meet with the owner the following morning. I went over all the check-lists and FAQs I printed from NSX Prime related to purchasing an NSX.

The guy came to the hotel with the NSX and picked me up for some breakfast before taking the car to the local Acura dealership for inspection. I drove to the place we had chosen for breakfast and everything seemed ok with the car, except what appeared to be some excessive tightness in the steering.

We discussed several days earlier that I wanted to have the car inspected at the Acura dealership. He tells me over breakfast that the Acura dealership is unexpectedly jammed up today, and they may not have time to inspect the car. I said that’s ok, there is another Acura dealer twenty miles from here; let’s give them a call (I knew this because my wife noticed there were two Acura dealerships in Cincinnati when setting up my travel plans). This Acura dealership was able to inspect the car right away.

The exterior looked good, except the driver’s side door was not aligned properly; wheels/tires were perfect; interior was NOT perfect as stated in the ad; the dash and the center vent frame were cracked; holes left from where cell phone was mounted; driver’s seat outside bolster showing cracks in the leather, and some other small issues. The car was 14 years old after all, so I was willing to overlook this stuff, and just take care of it.

This other Acura dealership had a certified NSX mechanic. I told them I needed a pre-purchase inspection, and that I was the purchaser, and needed for them to act as my advocate in the inspection. The guy who did the inspection (his name was Ray) had twenty years experience as an Acura mechanic. He said he would put the car up on the rack and bring me back to inspect the car with him. Almost immediately he started to find problems, here is what was found:

Master cylinder leaking, needed replacement.

Both outside CV joints have excessive play and were leaking grease, replacement required.

Front end collision damage THAT WAS IMPROPERLY REPAIRED.

At this point, I told Ray “How can this be? The seller said the car was in mint condition, and I traveled 1700 miles to purchase the car based on that assumption”! Ray was pissed at hearing this; out came the microscope. The following additional problems were discovered:

I mentioned to Ray that I thought something was odd with the steering. Ray took the car for a drive (with me along), and found that the steering rack was damaged and needed replacement. He had a second mechanic with eighteen years experience test drive the car for confirmation. After the second mechanic agreed with Ray, he called Acura factory service support, who also agreed with him.

You ask why the double-checking and triple-checking on this one component? Because this one part costs $5,300 and 6 hours labor to install it!

He also felt vertical play in the steering column, and found one of the two studs holding the steering column in place had snapped off. This would require removal of the dash and disassembly of the entire steering column to repair.

The bottom line is that it would have cost me $10,000+ just to make the car roadworthy! These two mechanics at Superior Acura in Cincinnati worked on the car for almost two hours, and charged me only $88.00 for the inspection. I’m going to write a letter to Acura Corporate, commending them for their outstanding level of service.

As for me, I’m out $700+ for the wasted trip. Although NOT buying the car saved me this amount more than ten-times-over. I did make the guy a very reasonable offer on the car commensurate with the actual condition, which he refused. He called me back the next day accepting my offer, but I decided not to buy the car.

After thinking about it, the offer I made was still too high, considering the problems encountered. Plus if I were to buy it, I would have to take it on as a “project car”. The front-end repair work would also have to be redone, and fixed properly.

Its unfortunate that the seller in a situation like this looses nothing by falsely advertising the condition of their vehicle. The seller did not disclose ANY of this negative information about the car, even though I’m certain he knew about the steering rack issue in advance of my trip. The seller simply waits for another buyer to come along who does NOT properly inspect the vehicle.

Edit: VIN: JH4NA1263NT001075

Last edited:
Maybe add the VIN number to the title of this thread, so if a potential buyer researches here on Prime, your thread will come up.

Distance Runner said:
Maybe add the VIN number to the title of this thread, so if a potential buyer researches here on Prime, your thread will come up.

That is an excellent idea; I will look up the VIN and post it.

This is why you have the car inspected prior to flying out to purchase it; I live in SoCal and bought a car in Ohio, I called up Lindsay Acura prior and setup the appointment, had them call me with the results, and paid over the phone using my credit card. Everything checked out, so I flew out to Ohio with a cashiers check and drove the car home... I could not see boarding a plane just to fly cross country and _then_ have a car inspected.

scorp965 said:
This is why you have the car inspected prior to flying out to purchase it; I live in SoCal and bought a car in Ohio, I called up Lindsay Acura prior and setup the appointment, had them call me with the results, and paid over the phone using my credit card. Everything checked out, so I flew out to Ohio with a cashiers check and drove the car home... I could not see boarding a plane just to fly cross country and _then_ have a car inspected.

I guess I'll chalk that one up to experience. Perhaps someone else on the site can benefit from this information. I would not travel this distance again to purchase a car under ANY circumstances.

Did you run a carfax first? That's your first order of business. Also would've helped if you had a Prime member that is familar with NSXs check the car out to make sure it fits the description (post in the region where the NSX is located). There are plenty of Prime members on this board that are nearby and willing to help. That's what I did and afterwards I had the PPI done. Once everything cleared I THEN bought the plane ticket and drove it home. I'm sorry to hear about your experience and hope you are able to find the NSX of your dreams. They're out there, it just takes time and patience. Glad you took something away from this. Good luck!

yeah, def need a carfax. especially before going more than 50 miles. sorry about that though, i know it must've been disappointing. good thing you didn't take it... if you're excited about something, you sometimes do stupid things.... there will be another, just consider that as part of the expense of a used nsx (among other things....)

DV8 said:
Did you run a carfax first? That's your first order of business. Also would've helped if you had a Prime member that is familar with NSXs check the car out to make sure it fits the description (post in the region where the NSX is located). There are plenty of Prime members on this board that are nearby and willing to help. That's what I did and afterwards I had the PPI done. Once everything cleared I THEN bought the plane ticket and drove it home. I'm sorry to hear about your experience and hope you are able to find the NSX of your dreams. They're out there, it just takes time and patience. Glad you took something away from this. Good luck!

Thanks for the kind words on finding the right NSX. :smile: I did a Carfax before I did anything else; it came back 100% clean. I had thought about setting up an inspection over the phone, but I was paranoid something important might be missed if I was not there. Plus I have never purchased a vehicle that I have not closely inspected myself.

If I decide to continue looking throughout the country for an NSX, I'll definitely try to contact a Prime member in the area to help with the inspection process, and set up the PPI over the phone.

Synthesis said:
there will be another, just consider that as part of the expense of a used nsx (among other things....)

The right one is out there waiting for me; I just need to find it. :smile:

You would think that since they are a member here they would know what a potential buyer is going to be looking for. Misleading a person is just down right WRONG !!!:mad:
Guess they were looking for an illinformed person to come and look/buy it.

scorp965 said:

exactly

TAG said:
Thanks for the kind words on finding the right NSX. :smile: I did a Carfax before I did anything else; it came back 100% clean. I had thought about setting up an inspection over the phone, but I was paranoid something important might be missed if I was not there. Plus I have never purchased a vehicle that I have not closely inspected myself.

If I decide to continue looking throughout the country for an NSX, I'll definitely try to contact a Prime member in the area to help with the inspection process, and set up the PPI over the phone.

This has been a problem lately with carfax. I think quite a few people are having carfaxs done and nothing showing up until vehicles are inspected or worse purchased. Carfax only tells us what's been reported to DMV correct?

WingZ said:
This has been a problem lately with carfax. I think quite a few people are having carfaxs done and nothing showing up until vehicles are inspected or worse purchased. Carfax only tells us what's been reported to DMV correct?

Yes; the Carfax database cannot give you information it doesn't have. I think Carfax is valuable for DMV information, but only marginally useful for collision information.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with that car. Definitely better to spend the $700 and not end up with a car that is nothing but trouble. I am sure in the future you will just have the car taken to an Acura dealership with a certified NSX technician to inspect and report prior to actually flying out.

Glad you posted the VIN, hopefully that will save someone a lot of headaches. It always amazes me what some people consider "mint" condition.....can you imagine what their homes might look like?????

TAG said:

I think you did it exactly the right way. Seeing and driving the car first and then being there to see the PP inspection and being able to provide inputs on what you wanted checked, etc. directly to the Acura tech. If you had the inspection done before going, the steering rack issue probably would not have been discovered.

I have made "buying" trips before and come back with nothing for a variety of reason.... it's the cost of finding the right car. While having others look at it and a PPI done, before flying, is logical, there's no substitute for being there and handling it the way you did. Keep looking....you'll find the right one from an honest owner.

I confess, I went back through your previous posts to see who's the owner of this car, which of course is not there. And I see the other problems you have had trying to buy an NSX. Man, sorry for all the problems and headaches you've been through. Keep looking, you'll find the perfect one and look back at this and hopefully laugh. It's worth the wait!

Sorry this car didn't work out for you. As was mentioned before traveling any distance to look at a car, have it looked at by a Prime member. I'm right down the street from Superior Acura, so I couldn't have been far away to help you out.

Regards,
Scott

Wick said:
I think you did it exactly the right way. Seeing and driving the car first and then being there to see the PP inspection and being able to provide inputs on what you wanted checked, etc. directly to the Acura tech. If you had the inspection done before going, the steering rack issue probably would not have been discovered.

I have made "buying" trips before and come back with nothing for a variety of reason.... it's the cost of finding the right car. While having others look at it and a PPI done, before flying, is logical, there's no substitute for being there and handling it the way you did. Keep looking....you'll find the right one from an honest owner.

Very well said; it is certainly more logical and much more cost-effective to have the PPI done before flying out to look at the car. But I think about what might have happened if I had not been there to tell the mechanic about the steering feeling "odd". I specifically asked him to test drive the car, I'm not sure if they normally do that during a PPI or not.

FeetFxr said:
I confess, I went back through your previous posts to see who's the owner of this car, which of course is not there. And I see the other problems you have had trying to buy an NSX. Man, sorry for all the problems and headaches you've been through. Keep looking, you'll find the perfect one and look back at this and hopefully laugh. It's worth the wait!

Yes you're right; I'm currently 0 for 2. :mad: But once you drive an NSX, giving up is not an option. :smile:

Cincinnati Scott said:
Sorry this car didn't work out for you. As was mentioned before traveling any distance to look at a car, have it looked at by a Prime member. I'm right down the street from Superior Acura, so I couldn't have been far away to help you out.

Regards,
Scott

Thanks for your post Scott; I was unsure how receptive Prime members around the country would be to lending a hand with an inspection like this. From the feed-back I've seen in this thread, we clearly have an outstanding group of people that are active members of NSX Prime. In the future, I would not be reluctant to ask another Prime member to help check out a car I hoped to purchase.

Sadly, the condition of a car as advertised is seldom the reality upon inspection. That goes for NSXs or any used car.

Ultimately, it comes down to how picky you are and what you are willing to pay. (and can you do the repair work yourself)

Initially, when I was shopping, I shook my head (and hoped it wasn't so) when other PRIME members mentioned that it would probably take about 6+ months to find a car. For me, the reality was almost a year, but I did miss out on a few cars because I couldn't get to them fast enough. The good ones sell very fast - often under a week, to the first person that goes to look (with money in hand).

It is a frustrating process, finding your dream car, but once you have it all the frustration and time spent disappear. Find the right car, but if the low price seems too good to be true, be prepared for surprises no matter what the seller says. I drove 8 hours to look at a "mint" car that had large sections of seat bolster covered over with sharpie marker (they looked purple). I flew to another state to look at another "mint" car that was far from mint. Mint is a funny word - it means radically different things when uttered from the seller and the buyer.

Bottom line, there are NSXs out there for under 30 grand, but they almost all have some kind of issues, be it those associated with high mileage (which you can't help, it's still a car) or body damage or air conditioning. No matter what you pay, you'll still probably be closer to 35 grand in the end. Unless you get really lucky, in which case be prepared to travel a lot and look at a lot of cars.

Having a PRIME member scout your car before you fly out is a gift and a blessing. Once you own one, you are way more familiar about what does and does not look correct. Definately get it inspected at a dealer - worth every penny.

- Frank

Back