• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rebuilt early model ABS/ALB modulator rebuild kits?

I have been able to source o-rings and have rebuilt my old ABS/ALB unit.
See the Market place (NSX parts) as I now have it up for sale.

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152515

I would gladly write up the process of rebuilding these units and offer o-ring kits as I have found a good source for direct replacements.

I haven't started and would only proceed with the writeup if I had some interested people in this.

Not many technicians or dealer will tackle this job. I found it to be relatively easy and within a couple of hours your ABS/ALB modulator unit can be like new again.

Let me know if you are interested and I will start the write up and create some o-ring kits.

Last edited:
nice work.how do you think this rebuilt older unit will perform in relation to the newer updated one from sos? i never activate my abs in dry street driving except when i do it on purpose to exercise the solenoids, so is there enough difference in performance in the newer unit to justify the price difference?

Last edited:
nice work.how do you think this rebuilt older unit will perform in relation to the newer updated one from sos? i never activate my abs in dry street driving except when i do it on purpose to exercise the solenoids, so is there enough difference in performance in the newer unit to justify the price difference?
the newer abs system pulses faster than the earlier generation.
the older system hammers the brake pedal. The new one you can hardly feel.
the 2000+ system is far superior.

I'm interested. Can you give us an idea of the cost (including write-up)?

Thanks for doing this. The Prime community of NSX owners can all benefit from another choice when our older units fail.

I am glad to hear someone has does this. I have thought about trying this for a while but the only thing is that sometimes when the accumulator diaphragm breaks it causes the pump to run to long and ends up putting metal in the modulator which can damage the solenoids

This news comes just in time as I was about to disassemble my ALB unit which no longer holds pressure despite a solenoid flush. A writeup for the procedure, and a source for new O rings, would be most welcome. Thanks!

Spyder

I was impressed with the work you did on the one you have for sale. Have you considered offering this service in addition to the parts?

Not a lot of interest on rebuild kits....

I won't let this die though. I will be putting together the documentation and o-ring kits c/w with Daemar part numbers so others can continue it in the future.
I only had a couple of people interested in my '91 Modulator as well. What I am learning is the ABS isn't as much of a concern out there as I once thought. I personally believe it is one of the weak spots in the the NSX and Honda did a great thing in upgrading the system in 2000. The difference is night and day. Brake distance and especially the new system has no maintenance.

I have been really busy with some personal stuff lately. Fall is a busy time for me and October is pretty well fully booked. I should have the writeup done and the kits available in November. I think they should be around $50.00 CDN per kit plus shipping.

There is a HUGE demand for this.

BUT, from my NSX Mechanic who is arguably the best one in the NW said the majority of these ABS problems and "squeaks" is with the nitrogen charge canister at the bottom of the ABS system. These rings wouldn't help this at all and I believe it has to be replaced. The noise must people get is from a lose of presure and the system trying over and over again to pressurize.

There is a HUGE demand for this.

BUT, from my NSX Mechanic who is arguably the best one in the NW said the majority of these ABS problems and "squeaks" is with the nitrogen charge canister at the bottom of the ABS system. These rings wouldn't help this at all and I believe it has to be replaced. The noise must people get is from a lose of presure and the system trying over and over again to pressurize.

This is a high pressure system. If dirt gets into the system the o-rings will allow it to leak. You will know, because the fluid level will increase in the resevour when the car sits for some time. This is the work of the accumulator trying to hold the pressure. The ABS pump normally runs when the car exceeds 10 km/hr and pressure is low. Accumulators are not real high failure items but If the accumulator is gone it needs to be replaced..
I have one for sale:
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152513

Last edited:
Does the 1995 NSXT Auto use the same Modulator as what you are referring to as early models. My Engine Warning light and the TCS light have both come on. Dealer said I had to replace the modulator. Here in Australia that is around $7000, which is ridiculous. Does a brake fluid flush usually fix this problem? My NSX has done over 300,000 kilometers and never had any issues. I don't use the brakes hard on that often to make them really work, so could it be something that can be fixed rather than replace. I am actually a Honda Motorcycle Dealer so my own Technicians could probably do the work it if they have instructions. Cheers

No
Modulators gens
1991-1992
1993-1995
1995-1999
2000-2005

You should be flushing as regular maintenance.
And then exercise it on a wet road.

Best:

The absolute best is to upgrade to the 2000-2005 modular from Science of Speed.
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...em/scienceofspeed-na2-abs-system-upgrade.html
Your braking will improve on wet and on the track.
With no maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back