• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

rebuilt tranny?

Hi, just wondering your take on this, I recently put in comptech 4.55 r&p and we replace whatever worn parts in the tranny.

We had the Mobil 1 10/30 for initial run for 200 miles, drained and then I have the white cap Honda MTF right now. Had about 1000 miles with one track day. Everything's working fine...

Should I do one more just to be safe, i had friends telling me the comptech 4.55 is not too strong and require more frequent fluid changes. How frequent??? and If I need better fluid and/or what kind?

thanks for any input in advance.

I ran the 4.55 with shorties for years,and I don't remember doing anything other than recomended fluid changes.You might PM larry B as he removed my 4.55 and replaced it with a 4.23 so he might recolect how it all looked.

I've been running one for many years too... no issues... regular oil changes with Comptech-recommended Redline MTL.

There were several runs of the Comptech 4.55... the first run had issues with QC... some were noisy. Mine was from second run and has been fine.

Some race teams had failures after lots of hard track use. Street use with some "track days" should be fine. I have about 13-14 years on mine with lots of track days.

My $0.02

We have repaired three transmissions that had the 4.55 final gears shatter. They seems to be more brittle than the factory gears. However, all these failures only have occured when the drivetrains have taken a hit from events like drag racing. Don't do any hard clutch drops and they should be fine.

Cheers,
-- Chris

We have repaired three transmissions that had the 4.55 final gears shatter. They seems to be more brittle than the factory gears. However, all these failures only have occured when the drivetrains have taken a hit from events like drag racing. Don't do any hard clutch drops and they should be fine.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Hi Chris,

Just for curiousity, where these based on increased power, as well as clutch "drops".

Thanks,
LarryB

thanks for the reply guys,

Chris, my 4.55 is actually purchased from Mika which she got it from you guys with all the SOS stickers all over it, unopened. You have any idea if that is the first production or 2nd?

I only did a few drop clutch and I'll be careful after i got the new clutch and engine in it. :wink:

SFNSXguy: which one is the Comptech recommended oil, just 10-30 from redline??

Back