• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Reccomendations for seat/leather care

What cleaners/ conditioners do you recommend for the seats?

I have a 91 and the seats are getting pretty stiff;

I googled leather conditioners and get a lot of promotional sites that claim various prodiucts will do everything but help me grow hair.

What are people using on their cars?

Thanks

Thanks!
I will give it a try

I don't like leather-stuff than makes you slide in the seat. I cancelled Zaino for that reason (and the smell also). I prefer grippy stuff like Keragil (Europe stuff).

I used to use Zaino but now use Lexol.

I used to use Griots Garage Leather Care many years ago and in fact I need to order some more. I don't think it's greasy or sticky and the smell is great - just like new leather (specifically German new car leather - yes there is a difference). I'm not sure what it does as far as preservation but I never noticed any ill effects.

Be warned, or am I the only one that did not know:
I used Lexol on my shift knob and it dissolved! Lexol says never use it on a shift knob or steering wheel but it is not on the label (that I saw).
Now they tell me. Apparently the skin oils react. It literally fell apart when Lexol was applied. :frown:
To their credit they offered to split the cost of a new one, but I got one used through a Prime member as new was over $200!

I used Lexol on my shift knob and it dissolved! Lexol says never use it on a shift knob or steering wheel but it is not on the label (that I saw).
Now they tell me. Apparently the skin oils react. It literally fell apart when Lexol was applied. :frown:
To their credit they offered to split the cost of a new one, but I got one used through a Prime member as new was over $200!

It dissolved the leather on the shift knob? That sounds very strange....

Do other brands also dissolve leather?

I have been using Lexol for 12 years plus on all my vehicles. I have never experienced it to dissolve the shifter knobs, steering wheel's etc.

I would think that if it did react to body oils and broke down the leather, Lexol would warn about it on the containers.:confused:

It dissolved the leather on the shift knob? That sounds very strange....

Do other brands also dissolve leather?

It was the leather CLEANER that did the damage.
I contacted Lexol and that is what they told me AND they offered to pay for half of the cost of replacing it. It must be something that they know or why make the offer??? The leather cover dissolved in a matter of minutes!I drove with the plastic "base" that is under the leather for a few weeks until the new one arrived.
Again, it was their cleaner that did the damage.

otoro

I googled " auto leather conditioner reviews ". Zaino was rated highly that's why I tried it. I had been using Lexol.

My impression is that both Lexol and Zaino leather conditioners are good products. I do not like the cleaners because they are too harsh and remove the black dye of my seats.

When applied and buffed off they both leave a clean even look. The Lexol appears less shinny more dull and natural.

The Zaino feels smooth but a little slick. The Lexol feels soft but sticky.

I feel that the Zaino looks better longer because the smooth surface doesn't show scuff or greasy hand marks as easily as the soft.

The Zaino has a simular but stronger leather scent.

I am open to try other leather conditioners but am very happy with Zaino.

Last edited:
I used the Lexol cleaner only the very first time I got the product and now I only use the conditioner. My seats dont get that dirty. I will wipe them down with a damp cloth prior to conditioning them. I didn't like the slippery feel of the Zaino.

Anyone else chime in on Griots Garage or Chemical Guys stuff? Overall, I like most of their other products.

Anyone else chime in on Griots Garage or Chemical Guys stuff? Overall, I like most of their other products.

i use also use alot of CG products. but IME, i dont believe they have a quality leather product. i use Leatherique Pristine Clean. Great for one step conidtioning/cleaning.

now if your seats are weathered/torn/faded, i recommend you get Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil to bring back that shine

hide's...

The best leather-care product(s) I've ever used on my vehicle leather-interiors have been the leather-care kit I got w/ the leather sofas for the house, no lie!

And the best ongoing/continual application leather softener that I've ever used is good ol' natural coco butter. Over time, it'll turn leather as dry as cardboard into soft/supple pliable leather surfaces. . .

Here's how I would rate various automobile-oriented products (from personal experience)...

1-step cleaner/conditioner

O.k.: Eagle One
Good: Turle Wax
Better: Meguiars
Best: Leather Only Products

2-step cleaner/conditioner

O.k.: Lexol
Good: Zaino
Better: zymol
Best: Leatherique

Last edited:

um why spend $200 on a new or used OEM shift knob, just buy one from SoS that's aluminum for half that price! :)

rapid_tear_800.jpg

Thanks for the warning. I just bought a bottle of Lexol from my local hardware store and would certainly have used it on my shift knob and steering wheel had you not warned against it.

Re: hide's...

The best leather-care product(s) I've ever used on my vehicle leather-interiors have been the leather-care kit I got w/ the leather sofas for the house, no lie!

And the best ongoing/continual application leather softener that I've ever used is good ol' natural coco butter. Over time, it'll turn leather as dry as cardboard into soft/supple pliable leather surfaces. . .

Here's how I would rate various automobile-oriented products (from personal experience)...

1-step cleaner/conditioner

O.k.: Eagle One
Good: Turle Wax
Better: Meguiars
Best: Leather Only Products

2-step cleaner/conditioner

O.k.: Lexol
Good: Zaino
Better: zymol
Best: Leatherique

I agree - I'm a big fan of the Meguiar's Leather products.. and have noticed the same, the leather conditioner/cleaner that came with my furniture in the house, works WONDERS. :)

um why spend $200 on a new or used OEM shift knob, just buy one from SoS that's aluminum for half that price! :)

rapid_tear_800.jpg

Because the car is all original and I want to keep it that way. :rolleyes: Besides, the used one was 40 bucks and perfect.

Last edited:
I also have a 1991 and when I bought it a couple of years ago the seats were also kind of stiff, I have used Griots Garage products for over 10 years now. I used Griots Leather Rejuvenator on the seats with an application every 3-4 days for the first 2 to 3 months (as it was winter and the car was stored) and the seats got very close to the softness of original. I now use Griots Leather Care in the "wipe" form every month or so. You can order online @ Griots Garage.com or call toll free 800-345-5789.

I have used leatherique and been happy with it on several cars
www.leatherique.com or try some detailer sites who also carry it.

+1 or Zaino is apparently pretty good but I have not used it. Also Leather Masters is right up there with Leatherique but Leatherique is probably one of the best leather products on the market. Check out www.properautocare.com, they carry it there, probably cheaper than the actual Leatherique site.

Back