• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Recommendation for a Year-Round High Performance Tire

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
Living in SoCal, year-round has a different meaning. With that said, hoping you all can help recommend a tire for all around high performance street/canyon driving for temps ranging >40deg-110deg ambient.

I have a set of track tires set aside but was looking into Nitto NT-05, Starspecs, RE11, RSR, AD08 and even lower end like Ventus V12s.

I'd rather lose some grip for better rain/wet friendlier compounds hence the V12s. Since these tires will get lots of miles a good value is also welcomed. Will see zero snow and <40 deg temps.

Hope you all can help me make an educated decision! Thanks

What wheel sizes are these going on? I'd like to find you a matching front/rear set.

I've had the two sets of the V12s on my MS3 as a daily and they are fantastic all around tires with grip, rain traction and treadlife. That being said, I don't recall the V12s being offered in matching front/rear set sizes for the NSX.

I've had the Dunlop Starspec on the NSX and the dry grip blows the V12s out of the water, but expect about half the treadlife especially on the rears.

I've recently started running the Federal 595 RS-Rs on at the track on my MS3 and have been super surprised at their dry performance. For the first 5-8 laps they seemed to be on par with the NT01s in traction, however after they heat past their good temp (8+ laps) they fall off quickly and get a little slick.. This shouldn't be much of an issue with a street driven tire though. Look into it, as I remember there being a matching set that fits 17/18 sizes for the NSX and the price is VERY reasonable.

Last edited:
Too bad the continental is gone. That was your answer.

What wheel sizes are these going on? I'd like to find you a matching front/rear set.

I've had the two sets of the V12s on my MS3 as a daily and they are fantastic all around tires with grip, rain traction and treadlife. That being said, I don't recall the V12s being offered in matching front/rear set sizes for the NSX.

I've had the Dunlop Starspec on the NSX and the dry grip blows the V12s out of the water, but expect about half the treadlife especially on the rears.

I've recently started running the Federal 595 RS-Rs on at the track on my MS3 and have been super surprised at their dry performance. For the first 5-8 laps they seemed to be on par with the NT01s in traction, however after they heat past their good temp (8+ laps) they fall off quickly and get a little slick.. This shouldn't be much of an issue with a street driven tire though. Look into it, as I remember there being a matching set that fits 17/18 sizes for the NSX and the price is VERY reasonable.
To be honest i'm looking at a new set for my DD (18/18) and the NSX (17/18). On the NSX I was running on 615Ks but the rears wore out quickly also wasn't very happy with that tire at all. I've since swapped to NT-05s in the rears which are noticeably better but I haven't driven them too aggressively yet. Once the fronts wear out i'll be on NT-05s all around for the street. Track set will be NT-01s or the RS-Rs you mentioned so I'm not particularly concerned about having super high grip levels on the street on the NSX. Since I don't drive that fast on the street the V12s may be adequate to gain some treadlife and better wet traction. I did try to track the V12s once and they chunked badly but they were totally fine on the canyons. I'd love to go with StarSpecs or NT-05s for the DD but I have no idea on their hydroplaning tendencies and wet traction overall? Also seems like a lot of folks are going with the AD08 as a good all around summer tire. I also see lots of folks using the RE11s and has been claimed as the "Porsche" of tires. Both are uber expensive though so hence why i'm leaning a bit towards the V12s.

Any thoughts?

I have the V12's and couldn't recommend them more as a street tire. On the track, they definitely suck but that doesn't matter to you. They are great tires in the wet. I've even driven around with them in the snow and they were just fine if you're careful. Out of all the tires stated, these would be the safest wet tires. Tread wear has been really good for me too. The V12's would make for a great canyon carving tire. If that's the worst you'll put them through, then there would be no need for a stickier tire. Save yourself some money.

Back