• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recommendation for clutch

The clutch started slipping and it was time for a new one. I've noticed that people have good things to say about the OSG STR2C. But I have found that most OSG clutch users have vehicles that usually have mechanical supercharging or turbos. But my NSX engine is stock. will the OSG clutch work for my NSX?
Thank you!!

The clutch started slipping and it was time for a new one. I've noticed that people have good things to say about the OSG STR2C. But I have found that most OSG clutch users have vehicles that usually have mechanical supercharging or turbos. But my NSX engine is stock. will the OSG clutch work for my NSX?
Thank you!!

It will work on a stock engine NSX. Only thing is I "think" if you want to put it on a 6spd transmission you'll need the NSX-R dual spline Input Shaft.

I know I'm in the minority here but I would consider a different clutch. I have the OSG and honestly, I'm not a fan. Now granted a few owners have told me that mine is probably not adjusted correctly, which may be the case, but I just still don't like it. It's designed as a racing clutch and a higher performance clutch so it's very on/off. It takes some getting used to and even now after 3 years I still find myself fudging up the engagement. I love the lightweight flywheel just not a fan of the clutch. I'm going back to OEM when I do my restoration this year. Again I'm in the minority as most owners who have it love it, but come to think of it, all of the other owners I know who have it are also running with force induction engines.

You're not in the minority, these clutches are great for track car not for the street. Grabs great but not progressive, noisy etc.

It will work on a stock engine NSX. Only thing is I "think" if you want to put it on a 6spd transmission you'll need the NSX-R dual spline Input Shaft.

I know I'm in the minority here but I would consider a different clutch. I have the OSG and honestly, I'm not a fan. Now granted a few owners have told me that mine is probably not adjusted correctly, which may be the case, but I just still don't like it. It's designed as a racing clutch and a higher performance clutch so it's very on/off. It takes some getting used to and even now after 3 years I still find myself fudging up the engagement. I love the lightweight flywheel just not a fan of the clutch. I'm going back to OEM when I do my restoration this year. Again I'm in the minority as most owners who have it love it, but come to think of it, all of the other owners I know who have it are also running with force induction engines.

The good news for me is that my NSX is an NA1, which means I can save on the cost of switching input axes.
The only question I'm confused about is if I install the OSG clutch on the stock car will it not be as effective as the OEM (minus the noise)

Honestly, most people think the OEM is the best option for a stock car, but as I put the car on the track more and more or for reasons I'm not familiar with the NSX driving style, I think the OEM clutch is more fragile.

The good news for me is that my NSX is an NA1, which means I can save on the cost of switching input axes.
The only question I'm confused about is if I install the OSG clutch on the stock car will it not be as effective as the OEM (minus the noise)

Honestly, most people think the OEM is the best option for a stock car, but as I put the car on the track more and more or for reasons I'm not familiar with the NSX driving style, I think the OEM clutch is more fragile.

it's definitely an effective clutch and when I shift gears at 6000RPM it's wonderful, but street driving in town is a bit of a drag. If you're putting the car on the track more than driving on the street it could be a good option for you. It's definitely designed and meant to be used on the track.

it's definitely an effective clutch and when I shift gears at 6000RPM it's wonderful, but street driving in town is a bit of a drag. If you're putting the car on the track more than driving on the street it could be a good option for you. It's definitely designed and meant to be used on the track.

Do you mean this clutch is heavy?

I haven't had any issues with 275 (track, SF hills etc). And 350 is stronger, haven't heard anyone complaining, unless you're referring to Mexi's 275 failure years ago (first batch of 275s etc)

Who exactly is having issues with 275/350?

Full disclosure: I'm not a SOS fanboy, but few products they have are solid.

Last edited:
Do you mean this clutch is heavy?

No it's not heavy it just has a very narrow engagement point and it's either on or off, there is no in the middle. If you aren't skilled with it or quick enough you'll have to rev match when you shift up and down. If the RPMs aren't close enough you'll feel your asshole tighten every time you shift.

Noob is on point with engagement experience. Also noisy at idle, people literally look at you like your machine is broken. With NSX is double look too [emoji14]

No it's not heavy it just has a very narrow engagement point and it's either on or off, there is no in the middle. If you aren't skilled with it or quick enough you'll have to rev match when you shift up and down. If the RPMs aren't close enough you'll feel your asshole tighten every time you shift.

Damn, then it must be very painful to encounter bad traffic conditions on the street:frown:

I haven't had any issues with 275 (track, SF hills etc). And 350 is stronger, haven't heard anyone complaining, unless you're referring to Mexi's 275 failure years ago (first batch of 275s etc)

Who exactly is having issues with 275/350?

Full disclosure: I'm not a SOS fanboy, but few products they have are solid.

Is there any other difference between 275 and 350 besides the difference in HP? Which one of them is closer to the OEM?

Noob is on point with engagement experience. Also noisy at idle, people literally look at you like your machine is broken. With NSX is double look too [emoji14]

When leaving events with the windows down people literally stop me to tell me something is wrong with the car when I'm stuck idling in line.

Damn, then it must be very painful to encounter bad traffic conditions on the street:frown:

It's definitely not a fun time

Am I the only one that prefers the OEM twin-plate over anything else for a stock NSX?

I have concerns about the quality of the sos clutch because I have seen many examples of people failing on the sos clutch.:frown:

I've got the 350, beem on it for almost 3000 miles, love it. If you're staying stock, just get the 275 and be done with it. If you have any inkling whatsoever of going FI in the future, go 350.

Only issue I've heard of with the SOS clutches is that they can chatter, but I've had NO issues with my 350 whatsoever. I recommend heartily.

Am I the only one that prefers the OEM twin-plate over anything else for a stock NSX?

I'm with you.

Preferably with a light (but not ultralight) flywheel.

I had an issue with an early SOS clutch. The first one they made when they started producing clutches under there name. I don’t recall the number but I had the clutch friction material come off I don’t beat my car it was never over heated but it seemed like the adhesive they used just gave up it definitely failed and had tons of material left. It wasn’t glazed or over heated. This was maybe over the span of 5 years but not very many miles. It was a disappointing purchase.

However I did replaced it with the SOS350 a long time ago it’s a nice clutch haven’t had any issues since. Clutch feel is awesome and it holds a decent even on modified cars. I like it

Last edited:
I have an STR2C with less than 1,000 miles on it that i'll be selling soon. It's a great clutch and more than strong enough for stock or supercharged cars. The engagement isn't bad at all and it only makes a little noise with the clutch in. But you shouldn't be sitting at a light with the clutch in for long periods of time anyway. The clutch has minimal chatter but only when leaving from a stop. If you slip the clutch correctly (releasing the clutch as the revs are dropping) you can do it with zero chatter. Also intentionally slipping the clutch once and a while to even out the transfer layer of material further helps make the engagement smoother.

I'm the one that asked about clutches in the link above. I had decided to go with either the SOS 275 or 350, or have my friction discs resurfaced and get a lightened flywheel. I've never liked the "heavy" feeling of the OEM flywheel. As it turned out, a member here had a new SOS 275 that was never put on a car so I bought that one at a discount. If it hadn't become available I was going the other route with the resurfacing.

Back