• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recommendation for extreme track/street tire for 17x8 and 18x10?

I will take that under advisement........thanks for the help!:cool:

My total toe in the front is (if it still is): -0.04" (-0.02R and -0.02L)

Before camber adjustment I used to run more negative toe. Again, this is still a street car - and more so nowadays than before! The camber was to help with Hoosiers, and R compounds ...... YMMV

But, is Billy really saying to run 235 with spacers and more camber in the fronts?!

But, is Billy really saying to run 235 with spacers and more camber in the fronts?!

I was confused at this as well.

Just talked to TireRack - last week they actually tested on a BMW 3 series the ZII against ADO8-R, G-Force and the RE-11. The report is not out yet.

Suffice to say that they liked the ZII and G-Force more. And the ZII may indeed minimize some of the understeer due to their harder sidewall. As to the width of the tire, it is pretty much the same as the RA1s so there will be some rub with 235/40. The G-Force tends to have a wider fit.

So perhaps for those who are not pushing real hard to the edge of 10/10 the ZII in 215/40 and 265/35 is the overall option. Total shipped is $936.53. At one time I thought they were offering special "cosnideration" to NSX owners (on record with them) but apparently this was never the case - the info was used to support the forum/club with advertisement I guess.

Edit: I should have added that if you have dedicated wheels for track, the option of using 235/40 and 275/35 RA1s will give you better grip/experience and they are only about $55 more for the RA1s than the above combo. But I would recommend them being heat cycled.

The DZ II do not heat cycling. And the tread difference is 9/32 for the DZ II, and RA1 is 6/32 and each RA1 weighs 1 lb more than the 215 and 265 DZII but also 1 lb less than the DZII 235 and 275. The section width for similar sizes are 1/10" smaller for DZ II ay 9.5 front and 10.8 for the rear vs 9.6 and 10.9 for RA1s - but remember these are brand specific reported measurements.

Edit 2: Check this comparison between RA1 and R888 where the R888 seems to fit our needs better wrt to steering and braking! Yet the RA1 is more expensive. I have not had good servcie with AIM - they gauged my wheels.

Last edited:
Are you sure they tested the Ad08 R and not the AD08? I don't know how they would get their hands on the R already. And... I am surprised they would like anything better. The AD08 and before that the AD07 have won almost all comparison tests not just at the tire rack but in many magazines.

Just talked to TireRack - last week they actually tested on a BMW 3 series the ZII against ADO8-R, G-Force and the RE-11. The report is not out yet.
I'm surprised they would include the older Bridgestone RE-11 in the comparison test, rather than its improved replacement, the RE-11A.

Didn't the previous AD08 comparable favorably with the BFG G-Force and RE-11?

Hmph.

Didn't the previous AD08 comparable favorably with the BFG G-Force and RE-11?
The Tire Rack tested it against the RE-11, XS, and Star Spec here. Overall, it came in in a virtual tie with the RE-11, with the Star Spec a close third and the XS way behind. They didn't test it against any of the many BFG models with the g-Force label (the new g-Force Rival would be the closest match).

Thanks Kenneth...I remember reading that page on their site some time ago. Strange that the previous version of the ADO8 did that well and the new "R" version performed (albeit anecdotally) worse.

Hmph again.

The RA1 is no longer classified as a street tire because of concerns on wet surfaces hence why the R888 is not given that designation. And believe they did test the R-11A- my bad.

That's especially odd because I always found the RA-1 did pretty well in the wet, better than other R comps. Oh well.

That's especially odd because I always found the RA-1 did pretty well in the wet, better than other R comps. Oh well.
I agree. From my memory the r888 was not good in the rain and the ra1 was quite good. I had ra1s in a daily driven spec miata and full tread depth was great in the rain on the street and track. I also recall the ra1 being much more stable than the squirmy r888 with a rounder tire carcass.

RA1's for me.

Hi

I went from R888's to AD08's . I only do two to three track days a year.
In short
R888 great track tire cramp street tire.
AD08 A second or so slower than the R888's BUT a great street tire.

Toyo R888 235/40/17 & 285/30/18 - GOOD

Nitto NT01 235/40/17 & 285/30/18 - BETTER (Best streetable)

Hoosier R6 225/40/17 & 295/30/18 - BEST (DOT Race)

Yokohama A005 - BESTEST (Race)

You can't drive the Hoosier's to the track unless you're lucky enough to live across the street. I found the Nitto's to be marginally faster and more consistant on long sessions than the Toyos by approx. 1sec. per lap, but you will definitely need to trim your liners. I removed the middle/top section of my front liners and sprayed 3M rubberized undercoating in its place. This worked well this past weekend at Infineon/Sears Point Raceway. The NT01 does not have the absolute ultimate grip that the Hoosiers do but I found it to be more consistant through out each 20min. session and through out all 5 sessions combined. I'd estimate that the Hoosiers are 2 seconds per lap faster but the Hoosiers make me want to jump to full race slicks like the Yokohama A005 which are an additional 2+ sec. per lap faster. It never ends...

For consistency and bang for the buck, you can't beat the NT01's

Last edited:
For consistency and bang for the buck, you can't beat the NT01's ................. but you will definitely need to trim your liners.

Not an option - I think so far, for those who have the option of having a separate track wheels to drive on the track, the RA1s in 235/275 still look like the best compromise even though they are old technology.

To toss in a few cents here:

Forget about the NT-05. It's more squidgy and not as grippy as the old Z1 star-spec, and so is likely WAY off of the ZII which, by all accounts is better than the Z1.

I ran R888s on my MR2 and couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. They worked well in the wet (I out "pax"ed a bunch of national level autocrossers on them in a monsoon because I guessed right vs. my A6s in those conditions), and they lasted forever without wearing or heat cycling out, and a lot of Porsche guys swear by them. I've been eyeballing a second set of wheels and a 215/265 R888 setup for TT and long track commuting.

That said, the NT-01 is also very good if you can deal with the lack of water channeling.

With either the R888 or NT-01, you won't want to be using them daily particuarly in colder climates. They have warnings all-over about potential failure in sub-zero temps.

Last edited:
Ran my first event with the AD08's. incredibly well behaved tire if you've never used a set. So far my favorite street tire. I also got in a car with 888's. God that is a noisy tire. I thought the diff was out of oil. Killed any thoughts of me using that on the street as well.

I love my R888.

1048366_10200718804230834_376863003_o.jpg

I've been dying to try to the Federal 595 RS-Rs in NSX sizing. I loved them on the track in my Mazdaspeed3.

I've been dying to try to the Federal 595 RS-Rs in NSX sizing. I loved them on the track in my Mazdaspeed3.
Going with either these Federal's or the new ZII's. The Hankook RS-3s only come in rear NSX sizing :(

Let me know where you end up picking up the Federal's from Adrian. I have a contact here in Temple City and will check on current pricing.

Back