• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Repainting wiper arms

Caroline-NSX used black oven or appliance paint on mine and it looks fantastic since it does not attract attention like gloss or anything fancy. It was all chipped up before but he sanded it down and refurbished it to better than new.

Close your eyes now if you are sensitive to SACRILEGE.

Black Kiwi Leather Dye (available in most groceries) will do the job. No removal necessary. Apply a thin layer and you're done. Two layers a day apart if necessary.

It also works exceptionally well on the rear window trim and the front bumper spoiler, as well as, of course, any worn areas on the seats.

Flame away!

Have you used this on the seat bolster?

If so, how were your results?

Thanks,

Matt

Have you used this on the seat bolster?

If so, how were your results?

Thanks,

Matt
Yes. It does cover all the little grey and white lines, and even (like my 24-year-old DD) splits with white stuffing showing.
But be aware, it is dye, not conditioner, so it will not soften the leather; in fact it will make it stiffer.
If your seat/bolster is in good condition (lines but no cracks), use something like glycerine saddle soap to soften it, then apply the dye a few days later.
The dye should be applied at room temperature (70F) and takes about 8 hours to set.

Last edited:
Yes. It does cover all the little grey and white lines, and even (like my 24-year-old DD) splits with white stuffing showing.
But be aware, it is dye, not conditioner, so it will not soften the leather; in fact it will make it stiffer.
If your seat/bolster is in good condition (lines but no cracks), use something like glycerine saddle soap to soften it, then apply the dye a few days later.
The dye should be applied at room temperature (70F) and takes about 8 hours to set.

Thanks for the help.

I've used Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner to maintain the seats so the leather is soft. Hopefully this will restore the color.

Matt

Close your eyes now if you are sensitive to SACRILEGE.

Black Kiwi Leather Dye (available in most groceries) will do the job. No removal necessary. Apply a thin layer and you're done. Two layers a day apart if necessary.

It also works exceptionally well on the rear window trim and the front bumper spoiler, as well as, of course, any worn areas on the seats.

Flame away!

i just did this with the kiwi leather dye,and results were pretty good.the dye cost less than $4 at target,i did no prep,i did wait until the temp was under 80 because old guy had bad results in very hot weather.
it put down a nice-looking coat,somewhere between matte and glossy.the main downside was that it was hard to get it on some of the side areas because of the size of the bottle and applicator.you can't really see the side areas unless you get right up on them with a flashlight.to me,not being able to do these small areas was more than made up for by the fact that you don't have to take the wiper arms off.i just knew mine were probably stuck on,and would be a bitch to remove without a puller tool.painting them this way was also quick and easy,just popped the hood and laid a little newspaper around.i probably globbed on way too much the first day,so i came back the next day and did a quick light coat to smooth it off.
all in all,a quick and easy solution.thanks, cmthomson.

Last edited:
I didn't touch anything else up.my rear window looks great,and the front spoiler is out of sight,out of mind with my slightly sore back...
if I do get inspired to touch up the spoiler,what if anything do you do to prep it?

Last edited:
attachment.php

I use this stuff on all of my cars. I like the idea of it being more tolerant to the heat than the standard spray paint. Cheap, easy and available. Here is a pic of what my wipers look like. Please remove them from the car before painting them :confused: if there are any large rough patches on the arms you can smooth them, but if the arms are smooth already you can just spray and reinstall when dry
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 502
Back