• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Replacement CCU Knobs

The finish on my climate control unit knobs is flaking off and looking rough. I am almost done with my 3-way project to make my inferior interior superior, so I would really like to replace those flaking CCU knobs.

After researching the topic, it seems that the most practical way to replace the buttons is to buy a used climate control unit in order to scavenge the knobs off it, since the knobs alone are not available through Acura. (Of course, one could always purchase a brand new climate control unit for $$$$ and receive nice new knobs in the process.) It kind of bothers me to waste a whole rebuildable CCU, which would make for one less unit available in a finite supply of these, just to scavenge the knobs. Plus it is still a relatively expensive way to get a couple of knobs.

So I was wondering if knobs of the approximate same diameter off another Acura product would fit, say maybe the Acura Legend? I could live without the AUTO and OFF lettering on the buttons. And that maybe one could purchase these knobs new from Acura without buying a whole CCU, or maybe buy a used CCU off Ebay from another Acura product that was still sporting some good condition knobs? I realize that the NSX knobs are a compound design, where the outer ring rotates while the center is pressed but doesn't rotate, but I was hoping that maybe they could be replaced by a simple design knob where the whole thing both presses and rotates. Do the knobs just slide onto a simple shaft, or does the press-and-rotate design prevent an an easy swap? Do any other Acura climate control buttons both press and rotate in a similar fashion?

Any input?

Attachments

• NSXCCU.JPG
    NSXCCU.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 132
  • LegendCCU.JPG
    LegendCCU.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 124
  • BehindtheCCUbuttons.jpg
    BehindtheCCUbuttons.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I may have to figure out a way to refinish them. I looked at a lot of Acura/Honda climate control units on Ebay and I didn't see anything with "compound" buttons which looked like they would make an adequate substitute, and "simple" buttons don't look suitable for the task. The third pic in my first post above leads me to believe this - notice the detail when the buttons are removed. A shaft down the center and the clear plastic "spinner" surrounding the shaft. Other Honda CCUs have a shaft sticking out but no clear plastic spinner. So it must be probably more complicated than just swapping out buttons from a different model Acura.

I suck at tedious DIY projects. I dabble a little in antique radios; maybe I can find someone with expertise in refurbishing antique radio knobs who could apply their expertise to the climate control knobs.

Last edited:
Contact Brian K here at NSXPrime and i'm sure he can get you CCU and stereo items you may need for a good price and just what you need.

Cheers
nigel

Thanks for the recommendation, but Briank just repaired my CCU, he said he couldn't do anything about the buttons. I pm'ed him with the original question for this post, but I thought it would be more valuable to the NSX community to discuss the topic in an open forum, so here we are. I would like to see him join this discussion and share his thoughts.

In the "things that make ya go hmmm" category, I just pulled the buttons off an old oem head unit and examined them. Note the similarity between the stereo buttons and CCU buttons in the pic linked below, although of course they are labeled for stereo functions.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32847&d=1176128327

Maybe I could sand and fill the stereo markings on them, repaint them black, and use them in place of the CCU buttons? This way if I screw them up I will still have my CCU buttons. Or maybe just try sanding and painting the CCU button centers themselves? Or maybe oem non-labeled buttons like the ones pictured for the Acura Legend above would fit inside the rings? Just tossing around some thoughts here...

Last edited:
I was actually thinking of having these made from cnc aluminum or possibly carbon fiber. I started the project but haven't gotten back to it. Someone recommended emachineshop.com to do it. I need them for my radio as well.

AC

Spade Kreations (Cincinnati, OH) machined new knobs and buttons for my climate control unit:

204696902-L.jpg
[/QUOTE]

nice, do you have contact info?
great job too!

AC

Replacement buttons are not available from Acura and they are about as hard to find on the used market. Buying a new display will set you back about $1200 so that's not a very good solution either. When I see any used head units here or on EBay I buy them for my parts bone yard but there is not much that comes up to buy.

I could draft up an STL for this, but I see a few issues. The button construction appears to be fairly complex. They appear to be made of clear or translucent plastic to allow the illumination, with a coating of some sort to provide the outer blackish opaque cover? There seems to be white labelling screened on to display during the day but still translucent enough to illuminate at night?
  1. To 3D print this, I'd probably have to draft it as 2 or 3 different colored parts to be cemented together. A multi-filament printer could print-in-place, but the cost of printing these would be $$$, perhaps approaching the cost of a replacement CC unit?
  2. This print could be beyond the skill set for most 3D printers.
  3. Even printing with a small layer height, the surface finish cannot compete with injection moulded parts.
  4. Colour matching the print fiber to the originals. It's not quite black and has a unique sheen.
  5. Screening on the labels?
  6. Could also be a challenge to match the font. Anyone have a link to the font? It took hours to clone the "NSX" for my NSX origami cup holder.
  7. The translucent 3D printed plastic will pass a bit less light than the original.
Overall, it would be possible to 3D print a functioning knob, but to get a cosmetic result at the level that the posters seem to be looking for would likely be very challenging.

Would love to hear other 3D printers chime in with suggestions though.

I could draft up an STL for this, but I see a few issues. The button construction appears to be fairly complex. They appear to be made of clear or translucent plastic to allow the illumination, with a coating of some sort to provide the outer blackish opaque cover? There seems to be white labelling screened on to display during the day but still translucent enough to illuminate at night?
  1. To 3D print this, I'd probably have to draft it as 2 or 3 different colored parts to be cemented together. A multi-filament printer could print-in-place, but the cost of printing these would be $$$, perhaps approaching the cost of a replacement CC unit?
  2. This print could be beyond the skill set for most 3D printers.
  3. Even printing with a small layer height, the surface finish cannot compete with injection moulded parts.
  4. Colour matching the print fiber to the originals. It's not quite black and has a unique sheen.
  5. Screening on the labels?
  6. Could also be a challenge to match the font. Anyone have a link to the font? It took hours to clone the "NSX" for my NSX origami cup holder.
  7. The translucent 3D printed plastic will pass a bit less light than the original.
Overall, it would be possible to 3D print a functioning knob, but to get a cosmetic result at the level that the posters seem to be looking for would likely be very challenging.

Would love to hear other 3D printers chime in with suggestions though.
I think if designed an all black knob, that would satisfy most folks who just want an improvement over what they currently have. While it won't illuminate, most folks won't mind as you'll only notice at night.

Back