• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Replacement of O2 Sensors

I agree with Brian. If you are REPLACING, then use PB Blaster. But this will harm the sensor irrevocably, so only do this if you have new units to install.

If they are bad, make sure you have some penetrating oil.
Make sure you clean the area religiously after getting the bad one out. You don't want the new one left open to the oil. You should be able to use very little oil to get it out.
Loosen, tighten, loosen, until they come out. The edges are easy to round, so be patient when taking them out.
BTDT last week.
Len

Last edited:
Briank said:
I have done both, they are a bitch to get at and don't come out easy.

John at AOB told me to run the engine and get them real hot and then remove them but having everything hot makes the job even more fun :eek:
I used a map gas torch to heat the mainfold, it takes 10 - 15 minutes to get it hot enough but you don't have to deal with everything being HOT.

Just get a good 02 sensor wrench for about $9.00 at AutoZone. I do not agree with using ANY PBBlaster or the like at all. This could leave residual contamination for the new sensor(aka, I put a new 02 sensor in and it is bad already). I always take then out dry on a cold engine and have not had a problem, but I have the correct wrench.

I would agree that if things were hot they would come out easier, but the "fun" that goes along with that I can do without:). JMO.

HTH,
LarryB

bondjamesbond said:
Anyone know how to replace 02 sensors in a 92 NSX?

You might not have to. I just had my 2nd O2 sensor replaced last week, compliments of Acura. I was sent a card that stated Acura would pick up the tab for any CEL/emmissions-related parts and labor through 14 years after the original sale of the car or 150,000 miles.

Larry Bastanza said:
........ I always take then out dry on a cold engine and have not had a problem, but I have the correct wrench.

I would agree that if things were hot they would come out easier, but the "fun" that goes along with that I can do without:). JMO.

HTH,
LarryB

I had the correct wrench, and even with two extensions (1/2" lead pipes) it took me two days to get the forward one out, and my 1/2" ratchet looked like a crescent moon :eek: when done.

I could have sworn I read a post from you just last month about using penetrating oil to get the bad ones out????

kgb_agent said:
You might not have to. I just had my 2nd O2 sensor replaced last week, compliments of Acura. I was sent a card that stated Acura would pick up the tab for any CEL/emmissions-related parts and labor through 14 years after the original sale of the car or 150,000 miles.

Think they wuold do that even for a 92 (it only has 60,000 miles)?

Hi Gary,

Nope, not me:). I have never used any penetrating fluid of any kind. I was taught never to use it. Did you have the tool that is like a 5 sided deepset socket?

Mine has never failed me, and I have had some pretty stubborn 02 sensors from cars up here is the NE.

Regards,
LarryB

I replaced both O2s in my '91 this very day. I bought a pair of generic O2 sensors from oxygensensors.com for about $120 delivered. This saved me about half the cost of OEM sensors, and splicing the pigtail leads was easier than it would have been to access and disengage those #&*@ OEM connectors.

If you go the generic route, you have to crimp the green harness wire to the white O2 wire, and the white harness wire to the blue O2 wire. The two black wires are non-polarized. Other than that it's a totally straightforward job.

My car has headers so both O2s were easy to reach, and they both came out easily with no penetrating fluid, using a 3/8" breaker bar and a socket like the one in the attached pic.

Two of mine when bad in my 95. Took it to the dealer and they replaced them (two separate occasions about 3 weeks apart) free of charge, under warranty. The were going to charge me like about $400 each time but I mentioned that it's under warranty. At first they didn't didn't believe me but they double checked and sure enough they were covered (thanks nsxprime for that bit of info). Not sure about a 91 though. I think the 95 were covered because they were the first ones with the new emissions standards.

nis350 said:
Just curious. Did you all get the engine warning light with the bad 02 sensors?
I didn't, nor was the ECU throwing any codes. The giveaway was the car was running fine when cold but when warm had a rough idle and a part-throttle stumble around 3K RPM. At WOT/warm it ran fine, and it was easy to detect the transition from closed-loop (O2 sensors engaged) to open-loop (O2 sensors ignored) mode when going WOT. I don't know why the ECU didn't detect the bad O2s. I guess sometimes we have to use our good ol' brains instead of listening to a computer. :smile:

The fact is OBDI did not have any anaylsis or real time diagnostic programming. That came with OBDII:). Bascially OBDI tests statically that items exist, like the 02 sensor heater. It tests that the car will be out of range mixture wise, but not that it dynamically controls the A/F correctly (which was Russ's problem with the bad performance).

The OBDII spec required things like testing catalyst effeciency to inform the driver the car could be over polluting by generating a CEL. These requirements defined the inclusion of dynamic real time test software, and these cars will provide a much more intelligent code set of problems then the OBDI.

This is why the OBDII cars have 4 02 sensors. On each bank, (front and rear) there are 2 02 sensors. The first 02 sensor (before the cat) is there to regulate the mixture lean/rich, just like OBDI. The second one checks that it is doing it within the parameters that insure accepable pollution levels and the check the cat for proper operation and reaction time.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
Hi Gary,

Nope, not me:). I have never used any penetrating fluid of any kind. I was taught never to use it. Did you have the tool that is like a 5 sided deepset socket?

Mine has never failed me, and I have had some pretty stubborn 02 sensors from cars up here is the NE.

Regards,
LarryB

Sorry Larry, I got you confused with MarkB. You two look so much alike:D

NSXTech said:
From experience, I would not change them if they work well, but if you have to, most parts stores sell a crowsfoot type O2 (22mm or 7/8") tool that makes it fairly easy but soak them first in a good rust penetrant. Put a tiny amount of anti-sieze on the threads, being carefull not to get any on the sensor. It will be useless if anything contaminates the tip.

MB

Heck Gary,

Now I feel worse:). I MarkB uses penetrating fluid, maybe I should too.

Regards,
LarryB

This topic couldn't have come up at a better time. I just completed installing a set of Comptech headers for your 91. The rear O2 sensor was on so tight that I ended up rounding the hex body and rendered it unusable. Now I need a new sensor. Went to www.oxygensensors.com and found the following for my 91;

https://www.automedicsupply.com/catalog4.php?PHPSESSID=334aac91ecc72da8c020dc6eb2e68301#

Can you guy tell which ones are the rear O2 sensors? What's the difference between Walker vs. Denso being that both are supposely OEM compatible parts? By OEM compatible does it mean that the connector is also compatible?

Any help would be appreciated. This is half cost of the origianl Acura part.

The connectors are not. You will need to splice then into the original harness wiring. That is why Russ explained above you need to match up the wire colors as he described. Really pretty easy.

BTW: Did you have the wrench shown above, or something else?? Just curious.

Regards,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
The connectors are not. You will need to splice then into the original harness wiring. That is why Russ explained above you need to match up the wire colors as he described. Really pretty easy.

BTW: Did you have the wrench shown above, or something else?? Just curious.

Regards,
LarryB

Larry,

Darn :frown: Along the process I busted up the OEM connector. Do you know if I can purchase just the connector alone from dealer?

Also are all O2 sensors created equal? There is quite a large price disparity between the three advertised by www.oxygensensors.com.

Anyone know if the NTK 24172 listed above would work for the Bank 1 Sensor 2? I have the P0141 error code and am looking for a generic replacement

So are the O2 sensors on my 2001 NSX covered under warranty? 24,000 miles with check engine light on...
Before I bought my car, the dealer replaced a sensor ( don't know which ones) at 21,000 miles. Jeff

Back