• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Replacement turbo for HP performance kit

My HP performance turbo started leaking oil after a tuning session.
It's the 60 mm plain bearing version but who knows exactly what type it is so that I can reorder a new one ?
Another option would be to fit a GT 35 r ball bearing version ?
Will it fit without any modification?
I believe as a minimum an oil restrictor is required for the lubrification system.
Again what's the exact ordering number?
Any help appreciated!
Thanks
John

hi John --

If you're upgrading, you may as well upgrade to the ball bearing / liquid cooled turbocharger. We can supply this for you if you'd like. I assume your kit has the T3 flange on it as well? Please drop us an e-mail with photos so that I may verify it for you.

regards,
-- Chris

Order this:

Garrett 715583-5006 (60-1 T3 .63, 360 degree thrust bearing, 4-bolt discharge)

This is a direct replacement, you can also order it with a watercooled center (which I would recommend, for reliability); you can also order the T04S with a ball-bearing, special blades, etc.

Before this, I would inspect the turbo and make sure it is defective; perhaps you should put a restrictor on the feedline, or enlarge the return line. We had issues with oil burning on my HP kit until we enlarged the return line.

Many thanks Scorp 965!
It seems there are not many HP performance kits out there even in the US?
Cheers

John

Many thanks Scorp 965!
It seems there are not many HP performance kits out there even in the US?
Cheers

John

It is the best kit for the nsx; I think HP didn't promote the kit enough on these forums, and instead moved on to different platforms (they do a lot of Mustang, Corvette, etc. kits).

They were criticized by some vendors here, and didn't defend themselves; with additional effort, I think they could have made a larger impact with their design. I have had my kit for 2 years now (it was the first production kit), there are about 30 of their kits in the US installed on cars.

If you are replacing your turbo, I suggest the water jacket upgrade; it's easy to plumb into existing coolant lines, and will help cool the turbo down substantially. If your turbo has indeed failed, you could also try contacting garret for a replacement - it's a new garret turbocharger, which should have a warrenty. I changed mine primarily for sizing concerns.

The owner of HP was going to give me a great deal on the kit, but many vendors on here also discouraged me from the kit. Also, tumers and installers would not tune my car if I went with this kit. Not sure why? Frank

I used to distribute for Garrett so I know their turbochargers quite well. There are far better options these days than an old school 60-1 with a stage III turbine wheel. Send me a PM if you want better options that are still a direct bolt on.

I want to inform all NSXprime members on how the HP performance replacement saga ended.
As I wanted to take no risks I actually ordered the turbo from HP performance themselves as they promissed next week delivery.
I sent 500$ through Paypal immediately to secure the order.
The first week went by with some excuses,then the second week with more excuses,then the first month with no progress whatsoever.
In the end I opened a claim through Paypal and I got 35$ back...
I wonder how many other members got the same treatment???
Has HP performance gone Chapter 11 or is it only robbery?

We had a customer bring his car to us about a year ago to install the HP turbo system. It's been about two years since he bought the kit (paid in full) and many components (around $3000.00 worth of parts) are still missing and not fitting properly. We recently we decided it finish it ourselves and completed the installation last week. In our dealings with the company, they claim one of their resellers "went out of business and disappeared" which has created financial problems. Please take care. Our customer was left high and dry with parts missing and excuses after two years of waiting.

If it is any help, here is a list of the corrections we made:

1. wastegate hit axle & was not supported off exhaust tubing:
relocated wastegate, supported wastegate with bracket off chassis, added flexer, added dump tube to direct exhaust down

2. down pipes had no torsional flex - only slip joints
removed slip joints and added flexers

3. all weight of the turbocharger was supported by the head studs
created brace for turbocharger

4. the exhaust side was made up of some seemingly random materials (mild, stainless, and galvanized steel) - piping was changed and entire system coated

5. exhaust would not align in rear bumper - exhaust hangers were off - on the right side by more than 3" - not sure how they expected this to fit - the exhaust was cut up, tips positions, hangers removed and replaced with ones that fit

These additions would be good ideas to properly support the system protecting the kit itself and the engine cylinder heads from fatigue/failure. If you need any photos to help, let me know.

regards,
-- Chris

Back