• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Replacing rear brake pads

Replaced the front pads... no problem. Rear however seems to need a special tool to screw the piston back in. Do I need to buy a special tool or is there another way??

Thanks for your help!!

94' NSX

There is indeed a tool to rotate the piston , but I have used a small prybar , 12mm wrench , or needle nose pliers before ,you should be able to get the tool at many autoparts stores , you need to go clockwise to retract it.

For anyone else, the side of a craftsman 12'' flathead screwdriver (the kind that starts out square and tapers to the blade) works PERFECTLY (and trust me, I've learned my lesson on using 'cheap/wrong tools....)

There is also a universal rear caliper tool available at most any auto parts stores.

It is pictured here to the right of the Honda factory tool.

Attachments

• IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 231
+1 on the special tool. I used the tool which came with my dali front spacers which has a very similar end to the one in this picture. I had been doing this with a screw driver, I HIGHLY recommend speeding the money on this tool. Connecting it to a cordless drill and bam a 10-20min job with constant dangers of slipping and tearing the boot turns into a 30sec piece of cake. Its all about having the right tool for the right job!

There is also a universal rear caliper tool available at most any auto parts stores.

It is pictured here to the right of the Honda factory tool.

For anyone else, the side of a craftsman 12'' flathead screwdriver (the kind that starts out square and tapers to the blade) works PERFECTLY (and trust me, I've learned my lesson on using 'cheap/wrong tools....)

That's exactly what I used...worked great for me. :biggrin:

I'll make it even easier for ya.

A flat hand file. A long flat metal file even gives you more torque, makes it a piece of cake, hold the caliper with one hand and twist with the other.

Back