• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Review: Angus AP-X Exhaust

I bought this exhaust a few months ago but finally got a chance to install it. I installed it in my driveway by myself with only the use of a ghetto Wal-Mart jack (previous one actually started leaking so I got a replacement), 4 jack stands and miscellaneous common wrenches. The whole process to take my old exhaust off and put the new one on took about an hour and a half (this is only because I've gone through several exhausts on my car before and I'm familiar with the process). For someone inexperienced, it shouldn't take that much longer.

Installation was very straight-forward. The fact that the exhaust comes in multiple pieces is one of the primary reasons for this. I like how the tips are adjustable. If your headers use the "doughnut" style gaskets, don't cheap out and re-use the old ones or try and get by with gasket maker. They are OEM parts so the dealer should have them. I managed to find generic ones that fit from my local parts store for about $2 each (for the locals, the place is Lordco). They are used on both my headers and test pipes so I needed 4.

Previous Exhaust: GT-ROM F1 v5.1 SS Quad-Tip

Setup:
-Science of Speed Stainless Steel Headers
-Taitec Test Pipes (YES, I care about the environment :biggrin: )
-DF 02 rear valence (threw that in for fitment sake)

A lot of people are bothered by the drone of this but I don't really notice it. The drone was nothing compared to my GT-ROM v5.1. The welds are very clean. I don't think any other NSX exhaust has double-walled tips which makes this one very unique (plus it looks cool as you are pulling away from someone!). The customer service is incredible. Wil actually delivered it to my work!

The "X" pipe design is very smart as it allows for future adaptation (center-exit, different tips, etc). What I would like to see is that if either of the parts could be offered (maybe custom?):

-straight exit pipes (yes, delete those cans for that roarrrring sound)
-bypass can with parallel pipes with a solenoid-controlled valve (would need 2 valves controlled by a switch in the cabin, can open it wide open when ripping it then close it back up when you spot the 5-0, if you can mentally picture the design, there would be 4 tips, 2 connected to the cans on either side, and 2 straight-pipes)

This is probably the best-valued exhaust for the money. Props to Wil for providing a good exhaust option to the NSX community.

ap-x_1.jpg

ap-x_2.jpg

ap-x_3.jpg

ap-x_4.jpg

ap-x_5.jpg

ap-x_6.jpg

So how does it compare to the GT-One F1? Sound? power?

Some people tend to bash it, while some consider it the holy grail of NSX-exhausts. (I have one myself.)

An opinion from someone with actual experience would be nice.

The GT-ROM lives up to it's name "F1 Sound". A lot more raspier and louder than the AP-X at higher RPM's. Some may actually find it annoying. The GT-ROM *IS* a cop-magnet, especially if you are running test pipes. My record was getting pulled over 6 times in 6 months, all warnings because cops in un-marked cars would hear me ripping by. I would classify the AP-X as a more "reserved" exhaust, yet still retains the sporty sound.

I can't tell you the power difference because I haven't dyno'd the AP-X and don't have immediate plans to. On a Mustang Dyno with my old setup, I got 232 HP. Stock headers, exhaust, and cats was 208 HP.

I kind of miss the GT-ROM but at times I like the AP-X as well. Tough call. You also have to consider the cost difference between these 2. The GT-ROM to buy new is pretty much not going to happen. I heard a lot of people having problems buying directly from the manufacturer.

Does one exhaust tip stick out further than the other or are they even? Seems like most NSX exhausts never line up just right..always looking cockeyed you know.

Last edited:
Does one exhaust tip stick out further than the other or are they even? Seems like most NSX exhausts never line up just right..always looking cockeyed you know.

My left tip sticks out about 1" more than the right tip. It's not the exhaust, its something else because my GT-ROM did this too. I don't know if it's the position of the headers or what.

You said you're running oem headers and cats right? ..Wait, I just noticed the straight pipes, so nevermind.

I have OEM header and OEM cats, yet I had this issue with other aftermarket exhausts including GTLWs / Comptechs. Lots of other cars I seen have the same prob regardless of the type of muffler.

When I bolt back the OEM exhaust, the tips line up perfectly even. :confused:

Maybe when I get to order Angus's exhaust I can have him make it so the tips depth are adjustable and slide in and out to line things up better.

Last edited:
You said you're running oem headers and cats right? I am too, yet I had this issue with other aftermarket exhausts including GTLWs / Comptechs. Lots of other cars I seen have the same prob regardless of the type of muffler.

When I bolt back the OEM exhaust, the tips line up perfectly even. :confused:

His setup:
-Science of Speed Stainless Steel Headers
-Taitec Test Pipes (YES, I care about the environment )
-DF 02 rear valence (threw that in for fitment sake)

Last edited:

With my exhaust you can easily adjust this to line up , you need to bend the hangers and also loosen the clamp on the side that you want to adjust and hold the tail pipe while tightening it.

Last edited:
Great! So I have the ability to adjust the tips side to side, up and down, in and out as well as angle? If so, I need to get rid of my GTLW pronto!

Interesting... I noticed my driver side AP-X exhaust tip also sticks out at least 1/2 inch more than the passenger side too. I doesn't really bother me though as long as they're both level.

I haven't tried bending the hanger. Do you need to have a vice, or can you just hammer it?

btw - in my part of town, I don't think I could get away with an exhaust any louder than the AP-X without getting pulled over. So it a good volume level for me.

Last edited:
Interesting... I noticed my driver side AP-X exhaust tip also sticks out at least 1/2 inch more than the passenger side too. I doesn't really bother me though as long as they're both level.

I haven't tried bending the hanger. Do you need to have a vice, or can you just hammer it?

btw - in my part of town, I don't think I could get away with an exhaust any louder than the AP-X without getting pulled over. So it a good volume level for me.

Are ever down in OC? I'd like to see it in person if you are. Let me know..thanks

I work in the Cypress/Los Alamitos area, so just send me a PM and we can coordinate something.

You just need to bend it a small amount (1/2" or so) , I usually use a pair of big channel locks , also a prybar may be helpful, since the NSX is made by hand I find that some fit without tweaking , and others need adjustments.

Also remember to use a small block of wood (1x4") against any of the pipes if prying.

bumping this old thread to see if anyone in nc has this exhaust,i would like to hear it in person.i have ordered angus' high-flow cats,and am looking forward to getting them.

You just need to bend it a small amount (1/2" or so) , I usually use a pair of big channel locks , also a prybar may be helpful, since the NSX is made by hand I find that some fit without tweaking , and others need adjustments.

Also remember to use a small block of wood (1x4") against any of the pipes if prying.

Just as Will says. Its works out great. I called him while installing the AP-X and was worried about the sides not looking perfectly even. After a slight bracket bend and readjustment of the clamps. It looks perfectly even to me.
Sorry don't have a pic to attach. If anyone is really interested I can update the post once the weather gets better and I take the car out.
I love my exhaust by the way. Just waiting for headers to fully hear my C30 sing.

If anyone is looking for a deal on this setup, I do have a discounted one for sale right now - posted in the parts section!

Back