• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

[1st Gen] REVIEW/INSTALL/WRITE-UP: NCAUTOUSA Carbon Fiber Targa Top

I am one of the lucky few that was able to obtain Steve's newest product, the CF Targa top. Upon seeing pictures of the first one he made, I knew I needed it. He started a group buy on facebook and I promptly jumped on the opportunity. Fast forward some months. After a lot of hassle which was 100% on my end, (Steve literally jumped through hoops for me. Outstanding guy) we finally were able to exchange payment for the product. Guys, this piece is gorgeous. Parts of this caliber are VERY hard to find. Steve is the man....seriously he is. Upon initial inspection, I could tell it was lighter than the OEM top. After swapping the latching hardware, removal and installation of the top is less stressing. Both on my arms and on my back. I usually remove the top myself and this new top makes that chore a breeze. I mainly wanted the top to lower my car's center of gravity. I planned on getting the top painted to match my car, but I may keep it exposed for a while before changing my mind, lol.

ANYWAYS!!!! Onto the write-up and installation pictures....probably what you guys really came here to see, lol.

I neglected to take step by step pictures of the removal of the OEM top an such, but it really isn't hard to determine. The headliner slides out towards the back after removing the rubber bumper thingie.

Tools required are: A phillips head screw driver, 10mm ratchet/socket, and a pick tool or equivalent.
20190625_103411.jpg

Firstly, you'll want to remove all the plastic panels off your OEM top. This can be done with your phillips screw driver and your bare hands. On each side there are 3 screws oriented on the back and 2 screws oriented on the front.
20190625_103048.jpg
20190625_103135.jpg
20190625_103404.jpg

^^^^Rubber bumper thingie

Next you'll want to remove three screws behind the rubber weather stripping. You do not have to remove the entire stripping. I got to the screws fairly easily just pulling it back. The two outward screws took some tricky angles to remove and install, but I managed without excessive cussing. The screws can easily be located because they screw into three orange tabs. You'll want to remove 6 in total, 3 screws in each side.
20190625_103240.jpg
20190625_103252.jpg
20190625_103246.jpg

Now the reason you're going to want to remove these three screws is because you have to basically seat the new top between the latch assembly. I tried doing this without removing it and I found that it would not install with the gasket. The tolerance is VERY tight, so I just made my life easier by removing the outward, painted piece. Also, if you've gotten this far in the write-up, you'll notice that there is a fair amount of butyl tape or sticky stuff holding this piece on. Try to salvage as much of this as possible, or replace with new tape. I was lucky enough to NOT have to replace as most came off with the OEM piece.
20190625_103338.jpg

^^^^ This is how the gasket and painted OEM piece should look on your new top

Next, you'll want to take your pick tool and remove the cap on the handle. There is a phillips screw in there, but before you remove that turn the latch mechanism to the "Lock" position. You'll know it is in this position because the "pins" will be out. You know....the ones that slide into the NSX's pillars to fasten your top. This makes the next step possible as the rods will be in the way.

15614788959186134644260171218862.jpg
15614789750825569239382775054355.jpg

Next, you need to remove the 12 nuts (6 on each side) with your 10MM socket that you DEFINITELY didn't lose....right? Once these are removed, gently pry (I did this with my hands) the entire assembly off. This is where you'll probably see the tape I mentioned earlier if the painted part is still on. There is also a bracket that comes off. Other than being a bracing piece of some sort, I could not see the purpose of it. Just remember to put it back on during the swap.

20190625_103117.jpg

You can see the bracket I mentioned in this picture ^^^

20190625_103121.jpg

There you have it, install is the reversal of removal. Only tip I have is to line up the new studs, nuts, and screws back to their original location. The nuts will have a ghost mark from when they were originally installed. If not, your top may be slightly difficult to latch down.

FB_IMG_1561476935680.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or add me on facebook. Tony Seagle. Enjoy!!!!

Last edited:
Looks like a win-win situation. Lower the center of mass and also easier to remove/install without hurting your back. :)

When you get the chance, can you weigh the new top? Curious how much lighter it is compared to stock.

Instead of painting, perhaps consider a wrap?

I could try to weigh it, but other than a standard scale, I'm not sure how accurate that may be. Perhaps I can take it to WalMart and use one of theirs haha.

haha, no worries. I only have a standard scale too.
Unless you are saying it weights as light as a feather. :D

Awesome thread! Amazing part.

Any pics of this installed from inside the cabin? Curious what that looks like.

It literally looks exactly the same. All oem covers get switched over. From the cabin you can’t tell at all unless you get the carbon middle panel interior cover.

How much is the targa, went to website but there is no products listed.
I will send you a message. Since this is a product I make I’m not a vendor and want to stay in good standing with prime.

A video of Fitment of the targa roof! When I have a chance I’ll add some tips that might help others install when I have a moment.

https://youtu.be/A5Sa35AoiTU

79c292685697df55be48d90737d58c15.jpg

I will send you a message. Since this is a product I make I’m not a vendor and want to stay in good standing with prime.

Hello @Sduff@Compsites

Fantastic work. From the photos, your product looks amazing. It's definitely on the to-do list.

Not sure how much info you can share and stay within prime's rules, so I will try to ask general questions.

(1) How much weight savings is your product? The ODM targa is not super heavy, but my back isn't as young as it used to be. :)
(2) How is your product shipped? It is in a box or a crate? (just thinking ahead on what to expect once ordered)
(3) What is your warranty policy?
(4) I predict you make these in batches. Assuming that is accurate, when is your next batch? :D

Lastly, thank you for making new products for our old junkers...I mean cars.

Hello @Sduff@Compsites

Fantastic work. From the photos, your product looks amazing. It's definitely on the to-do list.

Not sure how much info you can share and stay within prime's rules, so I will try to ask general questions.

(1) How much weight savings is your product? The ODM targa is not super heavy, but my back isn't as young as it used to be. :)
(2) How is your product shipped? It is in a box or a crate? (just thinking ahead on what to expect once ordered)
(3) What is your warranty policy?
(4) I predict you make these in batches. Assuming that is accurate, when is your next batch? :D

Lastly, thank you for making new products for our old junkers...I mean cars.

Thank you. I offer now over 25 products for our cars and thank you. Although I see carbon everyday I enjoy when people enjoy the work I put in and the quality of the products! For me it’s about the creation of something. Not many companies can say that, I can only think of 1 other and that’s Jeff@carbon6 that makes his own items.

To answer your questions.
1) weight was a primary concern since the original person that wanted one always felt awkward taking his targa off and on. With your arms fully extended and the shape any poundage off is magnafied because of the awkward situation. It saves 4lbs over stock. Our replacement part vs oem is 35-40% weight savings. However with all the oem latches it’s a less percentage but same poundage if that makes sense since yo switch over the oem components.

2) it’s shipped in a box. Pretty much like the full carbon headliner boxes. Shipping to Cali was 65 max from Louisiana where I’m located.

3) forever as long as you don’t crash. The materials are superior to all. It will never warp or yellow. The. I don’t adhesive used in production is sourced from a company that had it approved to bond parts of the Ford GT. Not the same company since ford ended up going with another but the tests and strength of the adhesive met with their standards.

4) it’s easier for me to make these in batches since the molds are heavy and hard to move around. I’m about to post something on Facebook and maybe here on prime since I will need to get my membership vendor status again. Delivery will be December.

Hello

Thanks for your quick response and answering all my questions. Yeah, your passion definitely shows in your work.

(1) Okay, good to know. It's not feather light, but still better than before. That's a plus.
(2) Thanks, that's sounds reasonable. As long as it gets to its destination in one piece. I have heard too many horror stores about hoods or lips getting damaged.
(3) Wow, that is unbelievable and really assuring to know. Thanks for helping the community.
(4) Noted. I will keep an eye on FB. Do mention something here when you can because not all of us are on FB regularly.

Hello

Thanks for your quick response and answering all my questions. Yeah, your passion definitely shows in your work.

(1) Okay, good to know. It's not feather light, but still better than before. That's a plus.
(2) Thanks, that's sounds reasonable. As long as it gets to its destination in one piece. I have heard too many horror stores about hoods or lips getting damaged.
(3) Wow, that is unbelievable and really assuring to know. Thanks for helping the community.
(4) Noted. I will keep an eye on FB. Do mention something here when you can because not all of us are on FB regularly.

Will do.

You know I’ve personally. Personally been making, packing, and shipping parts for years. I won’t name names but there’s instances where the same part my customers buy, then find out it’s garbage and then buy from me and complain/vent about saying the previous vendors one arrived broken, was an overlay, didn’t fit right, and disregarded any type of responsibility for misleading the buyer. I would keep a close eye on who’s shipping parts. I believe there may be some type of fraud system happening.

From experience though I’ve never had a package damaged. Never. I once had an entire packlage lost but never damaged and that was from someone else’s label sent. I specifically usually use Fedex and just started usps but now will use Fedex 100% since usps just apparently changed to dimensional weight on all packages from my understanding.

I’ll post here when I make something.

I do not know the past experience that you mentioned, but it sounded horrible. I'm glad it has not ruined your passion and motivation to continue making superb parts. From the post of those who received the new targa top, they sound happy. That puts smiles on everyone faces.

Cheers

I do not know the past experience that you mentioned, but it sounded horrible. I'm glad it has not ruined your passion and motivation to continue making superb parts. From the post of those who received the new targa top, they sound happy. That puts smiles on everyone faces.

Cheers

When I hear of people being deceived with parts by marketing and other shady tactics it motivates me to make better parts and keep in the Nsx market so that people don’t get taken advantage of.

Cheers

I had a friend buy a set of wheels from Stephen.. it took almost an hour just to unpack them... lol! The wheel shop putting the tires on just watched in amazement how crazy and secure they were. They made me throw everything out because the packaging material was everywhere! Ha!

I vouch for his packaging. Here is a pic of mine partially opened up.
d223af31526c8f6a81556634fff957ea.jpg

.....I vouch for his packaging. Here is a pic of mine partially opened up.

Thank you for taking a photo of the packaging. It is reassuring to know it will have a safe journey. Now don't drop it :D

I have heard bad stories from people ordering general large parts such as hoods, spoilers, lips etc. <--- This comment is about other vendors. It is shame because they cheap out on packaging and ruin the customer experience upon arrival.

Back