• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

reviews are out

Fair enough. I don't place any value/significance in the NSX name as it relates to the Gen2 car. It would be great if they called it the Accord GT. Or maybe Integra GT. I'd still buy it. In terms of technology, the cool part about the NSX is the "systems engineering"-- the way stuff works together. It's a great accomplishment that provides a platform for future development. A different approach than "perfection via simplicity." I appreciate both. Supercars five or ten years from now in the NSX price range will share more DNA with the NSX than the 570S or Lambo, I predict. But, again, there need not be a concensus "best" as long as the car is interting enough for some people to add one to their stables.
.. or "Legend GT", how awesome does this sound. Everyone would see it with different eyes. You're right on the "perfection via simplicity", well stated, actually that was the idea at Honda in 80's-90's, also a very japanese mentality, that many of us appreciate through their 1st gen NSX. These old school Civic and CRX are so popular because they were light and fast, and simple enough so they could be modified to anyone's heart content. I think Mazda have shown they are keeping with that mentality with the new Miata in that it's lighter than the previous gen, which is no small feat today. I dont know if most supercars will go this way (heavy and complicated), to give an example i had a Prelude 4G with the 4WS system (i know not a supercar, just making a point). While well refined on this generation, and so incredibly fun to drive (and park !!), it was expensive, and for most the benefit vs price ratio wasnt there, and it added weight and complexity. Other manufacturers had their shot at 4WS variants with even less success, to be honest only the Prelude had that radical rear wheel angle, other systems only added little corrections. To put it another way, we see some cars coming on top of Motor Trend test that are quite simple, compared to the competition. I agree that there doesnt need to be a "best", actually all cars in the MT test are very desirable, by today most manufacturers get it right, yes even Ford. I'd just pick the one that gives the best value for money, in the 90's that used to be Honda, now this has moved elsewhere. Heard some news not long ago that they promised a return to form, cant wait for it.

Last edited:
FA, I never said you didn't own a faster car than the NSX? What does that have to do with anything? My point was that the NSX legacy has never been about the fastest or epitome of supercars.

Zoom, the GT350R is a great car. It weighs only 200 lbs less than the NSX and has comparable HP if not more peak hp technically. One of two things occurred

1. The alignment excuse was truly off.
2. The SH-AWD is not as powerful as it could/should be

However, the 0-60 time is significant between the two considering the comparable hp/weight ratio. Either way, the results of the MT test is not great but it's not heart breaking either. Let's see more test to see if the performance/comparisons are consistent. Let's not forget the NSX been matching ACR on other tracks if not beating it on the high altitude one.

I'd imagine an expertly driven Aventador would beat the NSX.

Looking at C/D's numbers, the Lambo can do 0-60mph in 3 seonds and 1/4 mile in 10.9@133mph.

But then the Lambo in the above video got a slight head start too.

I guess that's the benefit of having a turbocharged engine - at high attitude, it doesn't lose power like a NA engine does (the Lambo in this case).

Even non-expertly driven Aventador would beat NSX. Something definitely not right. Looks like the guy was holding back.

it was a shit start, it wasn't a full throttle launch. it was a "dump the clutch, let off the throttle, major bog down, and then floor it again" start.

as i said earlier, this is a highly amateur race at best...

- - - Updated - - -

the Aventador is the most violently launching car out there (but not the absolute quickest)...

Like all the tests, it is what it is.

This time, the NSX won. Doesn't mean that "the NSX is faster than the Aventador" to 60 or through 1/4 mile in general. But this time, it was. The fact that the NSX is even sometimes faster than the Lambo in real life situations is enough to make me smile.

As I've consistently said, I'm pleased that the NSX is "in the mix" with some of the best performance cars in history.

Hmm, I thought all Aventadors come with automated manuals..no clutch? And I believe it also has a launch control system?

Also, as mentioned, this video was taken at high altitude. It's filmed near Park City, Utah. The elevation of that city is 7000ft. It seems like the video was filmed in a mountain, which means the elevation is probably even higher than that.

The Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 is rated at 691hp. Based on my calculations (3% power loss for every 1000ft), at 7000ft, the power loss is 145hp. This effectively lowers the output to less than 550hp.

A turbocharged car doesn't get affected much by attitude changes on the other hand, so the losses would be way less for the NSX.

FYI, the posted video is extracted from a longer (and more annoying) video by "The Stradman" and he says the elevation is 4XXX feet-- I can't recall. They are clearly in a valley, which is gonna be lower than the mountain summits.

At 4000ft, it's 83hp loss, at 5000ft, it's 104hp loss.

Probably somewhere around 90ho loss...which would make the Aventador a 600hp car.

This time, the NSX won. Doesn't mean that "the NSX is faster than the Aventador" to 60 or through 1/4 mile in general. But this time, it was. The fact that the NSX is even sometimes faster than the Lambo in real life situations is enough to make me smile.

As I've consistently said, I'm pleased that the NSX is "in the mix" with some of the best performance cars in history.

Well said...

FWIW

Motor Trend - November 2016 issue - pp 20, MT CONFIDENTIAL column:

"The NSX has barely hit the showrooms, and already engineers in Ohio are working on upgrades.
New seats are under development to replace the current units. Insiders say the existing
NSX seats were designed to accommodate smaller females and lacked a height adjustment
mechanism for taller folks. New frames will allow a lower H-point, improving both driving
position and chassis feedback for taller drivers."

Seat adjustability definitely sucks in the new NSX. Glad they are addressing. I am 6'1" and find it hard to get a super comfortable position (although it generally feels roomy in cockpit). I'm spoiled by the million-way adjustable seats in other cars.

This time, the NSX won. Doesn't mean that "the NSX is faster than the Aventador" to 60 or through 1/4 mile in general. But this time, it was.

Hmm, I thought all Aventadors come with automated manuals..no clutch? And I believe it also has a launch control system?

you are correct, the Aventador does have launch control. it holds the revs at 5,000 rpm and effectively "dumps the clutch" so to speak. witness below:

https://youtu.be/rJQip9xSoWA

and then watch the "NSX vs. Aventador" race again. the driver of the Aventador in the Stradman video is clearly not holding the Lamborghini to 5,000 rpm. and he also clearly lets off the throttle after the initial launch, and then gets back on the throttle fractions of a second later. at that point, it is already race over.

you can audibly hear that the engine is not at higher revs for the launch, and you can hear him step off the throttle (when he thinks he's lost traction or perhaps just gotten scared?), as well as visually see the nose drop. then you can audibly hear the throttle applied again, as the nose rises a second time. no one knows if the NSX was in launch mode, or just accelerated from idle either? that's why this drag race is extremely amateur and not in the slightest way worth anything more than viewing purely for entertainment purposes and eye candy...

Lol^^^^ Bad launch or not the nsx is a fast lil fat f@cker...

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php

^^^^^New nsx be like this.... It's a tech nerdy super car. I kinda like it. Easy to get looks in without looking like a complete douche bag in a super "busy" super car. It's toned down and still lays it down quite fine...

Attachments

• IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 181
Lol^^^^ Bad launch or not the nsx is a fast lil fat f@cker...

- - - Updated - - -

^^^^^New nsx be like this.... It's a tech nerdy super car. I kinda like it. Easy to get looks in without looking like a complete douche bag in a super "busy" super car. It's toned down and still lays it down quite fine...

you're flipping back and forth like Trump these days! we're you downing the NSX the last few posts about being heavy and slow? :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Next thing you know fastaussie is going to tell us Santa Claus isn't real.

i would never ruin that one for you... :biggrin:

you're flipping back and forth like Trump these days! we're you downing the NSX the last few posts about being heavy and slow? :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

i would never ruin that one for you... :biggrin:
No I think you might have me mixed up with another member. I have always been somewhat keen on the nsx. The only beef I have with it is the price. I'd rather have many other cars for the price tag including a 2015 R8 V10 plus. It is good to see you lightening up though. They are only cars. Some faster, some slower. I do agree though with you. I wish the nsx smashed records. But Honda isn't Nissan, Mclaren, Ferrari, or Audi. They always show constraint and reserve themselves to cater to a wider market rather than one specific demographic. For example, if I owned a new nsx and some idiot pulled up next to me in a Lamborghini and told me my car was slow as shit and his is better, I would just say yep.... Go right on ahead buddy....

..the driver of the Aventador in the Stradman video is clearly not holding the Lamborghini to 5,000 rpm. and he also clearly lets off the throttle after the initial launch, and then gets back on the throttle fractions of a second later. at that point, it is already race over.

...you can audibly hear that the engine is not at higher revs for the launch...

The Aventador engine notes in both videos seem pretty similar to me. As others here have mentioned, the race against the NXS was performed at higher altitude, which according to those with better knowledge than myself, would create a not insignificant loss of HP for the Aventador. If the launch control caused it to bog (which is what it appears to me), then it's horses for courses.... If I was either of those drivers, I'm going to put the car's best foot forward by using the appropriate means to give the most consistent, fastest launch - my bet is they were both using launch control.

No I think you might have me mixed up with another member. I have always been somewhat keen on the nsx. The only beef I have with it is the price. I'd rather have many other cars for the price tag including a 2015 R8 V10 plus. It is good to see you lightening up though. They are only cars. Some faster, some slower. I do agree though with you. I wish the nsx smashed records. But Honda isn't Nissan, Mclaren, Ferrari, or Audi. They always show constraint and reserve themselves to cater to a wider market rather than one specific demographic. For example, if I owned a new nsx and some idiot pulled up next to me in a Lamborghini and told me my car was slow as shit and his is better, I would just say yep.... Go right on ahead buddy....

yeah mate, i don't care one way or another. the new NSX isn't my favourite, but i don't hate it either. as i've said before, like most people i think Honda could have done a lot better, but i like it as it is...

The Aventador engine notes in both videos seem pretty similar to me. As others here have mentioned, the race against the NXS was performed at higher altitude, which according to those with better knowledge than myself, would create a not insignificant loss of HP for the Aventador. If the launch control caused it to bog (which is what it appears to me), then it's horses for courses.... If I was either of those drivers, I'm going to put the car's best foot forward by using the appropriate means to give the most consistent, fastest launch - my bet is they were both using launch control.

yuh, ok. you obviously didn't watch both videos.

and maybe you missed the fact that's it's a bunch of rich kids mucking around with a video camera...

For the record it also appears the nsx had almost a 1/4 of a car head start from a dig. Just saying. But I truely do love the new nsx. If only it could be closer to the msrp of 160k

like most people i think Honda could have done a lot better...

yuh, ok. you obviously didn't watch both videos.

and maybe you missed the fact that's it's a bunch of rich kids mucking around with a video camera...

Same thing over and over... "like most people, I think" - who is "most"? I think they exist in your imagination but not reality.

And the two videos - call me a liar then.

And the other condescending put-down - "...bunch of rich kids playing with a video camera...".

Time to give thought to that chip on ya shoulder mate...

Honda isn't Nissan, Mclaren, Ferrari, or Audi.
They used to be way ahead of 3 of those (given, Mclaren didnt produce road cars at the time). See how they have lost their way :(
As for the "wider demographic" they priced the car out of this to start with. By getting into Huracan price ballpark, chosing this name, and throwing bold claims about their SH-AWD they clearly positioned themselves in the "fast exotic" segment, which is the main issue IMHO.

Back