• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RHD NSX stateside

Me and my friend was chatting and the topic of RHD NSX came up, is there any in the states? My friend and I are living in Japan but he wants to import a RHD NSX back to the states. Cost came into play and now i wanna see if i can get more info on this. Anyone got any insight on this?

the only ones your see have dealer plates but the problem is when you go to the DMV to register it they deny you. I am not 100% sure but other will chime in it has been talked about before
and another member was stuck with a RHD NSX in his garage that he cant drive only look at it and kick himself for buying it.

now if you already had a USA NSX and had a RHD shipped in cut in half and you re-welded everything back onto the USA chassis then you may be able to get away with it till you got caught
the impound and bye bye RHD NSX

but I may be 100% wrong as I would prob already have one

You could just wait two years and then import a 1991 RHD NSX due to the 25 year rule. Besides that it's like Shawn said you can't register it.

I looked at Japanese prices (=high) and I looked at USA prices (=lower), and I can't imagine that importing one into the USA from Japan could ever work out cheaper than buying a comparable LHD car in the USA. Abenomics hasn't yet changed the exchange rate to reverse this, surely?

Is there some advantage to having RHD in the USA that I just can't see?

I know that there was a weird cult/gangsta status thing in Japan about driving LHD Mercedes (and almost always black), but that's a different kettle of fish.

Last edited:
the only ones your see have dealer plates but the problem is when you go to the DMV to register it they deny you. I am not 100% sure but other will chime in it has been talked about before
and another member was stuck with a RHD NSX in his garage that he cant drive only look at it and kick himself for buying it.

now if you already had a USA NSX and had a RHD shipped in cut in half and you re-welded everything back onto the USA chassis then you may be able to get away with it till you got caught
the impound and bye bye RHD NSX

but I may be 100% wrong as I would prob already have one

why wont the DMV let him register it?

I looked at Japanese prices (=high) and I looked at USA prices (=lower), and I can't imagine that importing one into the USA from Japan could ever work out cheaper than buying a comparable LHD car in the USA. Abenomics hasn't yet changes the exchange rate to reverse this, surely?

Is there some advantage to having RHD in the USA that I just can't see?

I know that there was a weird cult/gangsta status thing in Japan about driving LHD Mercedes (and almost always black), but that's a different kettle of fish.

nothing special just the novelty of saying you have a RHD nsx in the states.

That thread was a total gongshow.

Wait 2 more years and pay a premium for the privilege of not making easy left turns at intersections and overtaking on two lane roads.

:)

Wait 2 more years and pay a premium for the privilege of not making easy left turns at intersections and overtaking on two lane roads.

Which is exactly why I decided not to import a LHD NSX from Europe/USA into England (where there are very few NSXs up for sale at any one time). The NSX sits lower than 99% of other traffic + so many cars having rear window tints now = very difficult to get a decent view ahead for overtaking. That's no fun.

As for the benefits of JDM, well, that makes sense for the Type R perhaps, but other JDM NSXs aren't significantly better than US/Euro/etc, AFAICS.

they are made in the same factory so why bother its not like the new one which will be made in Ohio.
we have plenty of left hand drive imports here in NZ i even used to own a Chevy pick up LHD it was the best option for towing my boat at the time and it had a stonking V8Chev in it but what a pain in the arse to overtake other vehicles and use that power and it was up high i couldnt think of anything worse than having a low car with the steering on the opposite side to the countries rules you will be forever stuck behind traffic.
We also had a mustang same problem we ended up just turning it into a fun track car and sunday drive car.

thanks for the replies, I figured as much for the 25 year rule. As for having the RHD, its for the sake of having it/ being unique. He's plan was when he moves back to the states he want to import one back. The topic came up cause he has a R32 and he wants a RHD NSX. Hehas notice like tons of people are going to import the R32 back after the 25 year mark.

thanks for the replies, I figured as much for the 25 year rule. As for having the RHD, its for the sake of having it/ being unique. He's plan was when he moves back to the states he want to import one back. The topic came up cause he has a R32 and he wants a RHD NSX. Hehas notice like tons of people are going to import the R32 back after the 25 year mark.

I think if he wants a unique/novelty NSX, then only the Type R could make long-term sense to take back to the USA.

BUT!!!!! If the new NSX is significantly faster and handles better than the old NSX-R, all bets are off. (IMHO)

thats funny

I just sold my R32gtr here in japan and will have a 91 nsx in 6 months to a year. The positives of a JDM nsx vs. a USDM are not the RHD or The slightly better ECU tune. They are the same in almost every way besides the interior. Same engines same trannys same body parts, as said above the nsx-r is the only one thats really differant. OK now that all being said having lived in japan for a while i have japanese freinds that have access to the tokyo auto auctions that only a certified performance or dealer shop has access to. You cant buy a car from those big auctions being a foreigner unless you own a shop in japan and even then it would be difficult to get a auction account. The nsx in those auctions sell anywhere from $18 for a nice auto nsx to $50 for a awesome nsx. However i have been looking and they do have the occational 91 manual trans nsx with around 100,000km sell for $20-$25 which is what ill me looking for hence my 6 to 12 month window. It will take time to wait for one like that to come up at auction but i will get one. Ok so now back to the main reason for getting a nsx here in japan vs the US. Now that you know its possible to get one here for the same price as the cheapest nsx in the US heres why im getting one here. First off a nsx that costs $20,000 in the US will have very high mileage in the 150,000mile and up range which means the engine is getting old and will need a rebuild because lest be honest no one drives a nsx like a grandma. Second the type of owner for a $20,000 high mileage nsx in the US tends to be younger guys that have beat the crap out of the car so the engine is tired and the stress put on the car will be alot. Also consider that the body will be alot of money put into it. All the bushings will need replacing, the trans will be getting worn out. In short your going to spend a easy $5000 to get it in good condition. All the US nsx i have seen for 20k had problems of some kind so keep that in mind because nsx parts are not cheap like a civic, also seeing that younger guys are more often then not owners of the older model 90-93 nsx that sell for 20k we all know that buying a honda super car is expensive and when you spent all your money on just getting the car you tend to push off routine maintainance that cannot be neglected on a nsx, so that will also take a toll on the overall condition. Ok now for the JDM nsx owner type. Since i have been in japan i have never seen a nsx with a driver that was younger then 40 years old. The nsx or R34gtr in japan is like a shelby gt500 or hemi cuda is in the states. They are a icon to the japanese car enthusiest, so japanese guys that own nsx treat their cars like a ferrari, they drive them in good weather and only drive them for special ocations and weekends. They do maintance regularly to maintain the nsx look. That is why most nsx in japan have less then 100,000km or about 65,000miles on them even though they are almost 25 years old. So all that being said i can get a RHD JDM nsx for the same price as the cheapest US spec nsx and will not only have alot less mileage but better maintained and better condition. You will not see a nsx here in japan being parked outdoors unless they are about to drive it or just drove it, Or at a auto lot where they sell them. So yeah there are alot of differances but not so much about the parts in them.

You could just wait two years and then import a 1991 RHD NSX due to the 25 year rule. Besides that it's like Shawn said you can't register it.

1990 was the first year of the NSX in Japan, September, so the first cars would be legal in September of 2015.

There are ways to register them! Some states... Like the R33/R34 GT-R.

There are ways, but like the R33/R34 GT-Rs, none of them are legal. Federal > State.

I just sold my R32gtr here in japan and will have a 91 nsx in 6 months to a year. The positives of a JDM nsx vs. a USDM are not the RHD or The slightly better ECU tune. They are the same in almost every way besides the interior. Same engines same trannys same body parts, as said above the nsx-r is the only one thats really differant. OK now that all being said having lived in japan for a while i have japanese freinds that have access to the tokyo auto auctions that only a certified performance or dealer shop has access to. You cant buy a car from those big auctions being a foreigner unless you own a shop in japan and even then it would be difficult to get a auction account. The nsx in those auctions sell anywhere from $18 for a nice auto nsx to $50 for a awesome nsx. However i have been looking and they do have the occational 91 manual trans nsx with around 100,000km sell for $20-$25 which is what ill me looking for hence my 6 to 12 month window. It will take time to wait for one like that to come up at auction but i will get one. Ok so now back to the main reason for getting a nsx here in japan vs the US. Now that you know its possible to get one here for the same price as the cheapest nsx in the US heres why im getting one here. First off a nsx that costs $20,000 in the US will have very high mileage in the 150,000mile and up range which means the engine is getting old and will need a rebuild because lest be honest no one drives a nsx like a grandma. Second the type of owner for a $20,000 high mileage nsx in the US tends to be younger guys that have beat the crap out of the car so the engine is tired and the stress put on the car will be alot. Also consider that the body will be alot of money put into it. All the bushings will need replacing, the trans will be getting worn out. In short your going to spend a easy $5000 to get it in good condition. All the US nsx i have seen for 20k had problems of some kind so keep that in mind because nsx parts are not cheap like a civic, also seeing that younger guys are more often then not owners of the older model 90-93 nsx that sell for 20k we all know that buying a honda super car is expensive and when you spent all your money on just getting the car you tend to push off routine maintainance that cannot be neglected on a nsx, so that will also take a toll on the overall condition. Ok now for the JDM nsx owner type. Since i have been in japan i have never seen a nsx with a driver that was younger then 40 years old. The nsx or R34gtr in japan is like a shelby gt500 or hemi cuda is in the states. They are a icon to the japanese car enthusiest, so japanese guys that own nsx treat their cars like a ferrari, they drive them in good weather and only drive them for special ocations and weekends. They do maintance regularly to maintain the nsx look. That is why most nsx in japan have less then 100,000km or about 65,000miles on them even though they are almost 25 years old. So all that being said i can get a RHD JDM nsx for the same price as the cheapest US spec nsx and will not only have alot less mileage but better maintained and better condition. You will not see a nsx here in japan being parked outdoors unless they are about to drive it or just drove it, Or at a auto lot where they sell them. So yeah there are alot of differances but not so much about the parts in them.

Sam, this is Jared.

I've written off the idea of trying to find a RHD NSX for many of the reasons above. I honestly wouldn't trust an NSX that rolled through the auction as it's going to have deferred maintenance without a doubt. My R32 GTR is in nice condition, but it needed a number of things addressed before I would have considered it a well-maintained car. You just don't know the history and where it has been, and if NSX owners in Japan take care of their cars so well, then one going through auction does not bode well.

A $20K NSX in the US is still not a good car, and as mentioned before, the differences are too negligible between the Japanese and American versions to warrant going after RHD variant beyond the cool or "wow" factor. The Type R would be a different story, but you'd have to wait another 2 years. Trying to find a well-maintained NSX with a stack of records in the US is far better than an unknown quantity in a RHD NSX. You are going to spend thousands and thousands getting it to a working baseline.

I don't know who to attribute it to, I think it was surrounding the "Can I get an NSX for under $25K?" threads, but one of the best quotes about the car that I can remember is "You are either going to pay $30K for a nice NSX up front, or $30K getting it there, but you're going to end up paying $30K one way or another to get a nice early NSX".

That's my $0.02 anyway.

Move to Canada. /thread. 15 year import law here.

I understand what you mean, but japanese auctions are very thorough. If you can look at and read the auction sheet of the car there are alot of things and details a importer might leave out when they translate it for you. I have the ability to look on a japanese dealer computer so i can see and read everything straight from the auction website. Some cars will need some work here and there but thats the advantage of a nsx vs a gtr. Nsx uses almost all the same body parts minus the interior rhd peices. For someone stateside i can see it being nerve racking when trusting a middle man to tell you everything you need and want to know about a car your bidding on. I just saw a 1990 all stock nsx with 100,000km in perfect shape go for 20k yesterday and wished i already had enough to get it. I am 6 months from having enough to start bidding on cars so next year ill have one and ill have 2 years until i will be back in the states so thats more then enough time to get it road ready and stock up on some used rhd interior parts for the future. Im going this route because to me its worth it since i know how to go about it and its easy for me being here in japan. And the perk of having one of only mabe 5 that will be imported in the next 10 years its a nice bonus. Its not for everyone and like you said spend 20k on a nsx and youll make up that other 10k in repairs you could have saved by getting a nice 30k nsx. thats true in some cases but anyone could get stuck with a 30k car that seems to be in amazing shape and then find a underlying problem later on that costs more to fix. Im just looking for a solid body and good running decent mileage car. little cosmetic stuff is not a big deal to me as i am a mechanic and do all my own work so it would just be sourcing parts and installing them for small stuff. I plan on changing quite a lot of stuff so some of the things that would make a 30k will be coming off anyways. But i would say as a best guess, plan on spending 30k-35k if your stateside getting a nsx from japan.

- - - Updated - - -

Global auto in osaka japan sells some really good quality cars and do full checks on everything on the car to make sure its in perfect running order. That would be a good place to pick one up if your serious about importing one. Also gt-net.co.jp is a good place for sports cars and also do full checks and fix any problems before selling them. They will cost a little more then a stateside nsx but for under 40k you will have a awesome car with low miles and probably some nice mods.

I am currently living in a RHD country and would like to purchase a RHD NSX.

How does one actually go about purchasing remotely from Japan?

Does anyone know what is reasonable price for a well maintained 1992 NSX-R with under 100 000 kilometers in Japan that I can import in 4 years? :D

I understand what you mean, but japanese auctions are very thorough. If you can look at and read the auction sheet of the car there are alot of things and details a importer might leave out when they translate it for you. I have the ability to look on a japanese dealer computer so i can see and read everything straight from the auction website. Some cars will need some work here and there but thats the advantage of a nsx vs a gtr. Nsx uses almost all the same body parts minus the interior rhd peices. For someone stateside i can see it being nerve racking when trusting a middle man to tell you everything you need and want to know about a car your bidding on. I just saw a 1990 all stock nsx with 100,000km in perfect shape go for 20k yesterday and wished i already had enough to get it. I am 6 months from having enough to start bidding on cars so next year ill have one and ill have 2 years until i will be back in the states so thats more then enough time to get it road ready and stock up on some used rhd interior parts for the future. Im going this route because to me its worth it since i know how to go about it and its easy for me being here in japan. And the perk of having one of only mabe 5 that will be imported in the next 10 years its a nice bonus. Its not for everyone and like you said spend 20k on a nsx and youll make up that other 10k in repairs you could have saved by getting a nice 30k nsx. thats true in some cases but anyone could get stuck with a 30k car that seems to be in amazing shape and then find a underlying problem later on that costs more to fix. Im just looking for a solid body and good running decent mileage car. little cosmetic stuff is not a big deal to me as i am a mechanic and do all my own work so it would just be sourcing parts and installing them for small stuff. I plan on changing quite a lot of stuff so some of the things that would make a 30k will be coming off anyways. But i would say as a best guess, plan on spending 30k-35k if your stateside getting a nsx from japan.

- - - Updated - - -

Global auto in osaka japan sells some really good quality cars and do full checks on everything on the car to make sure its in perfect running order. That would be a good place to pick one up if your serious about importing one. Also gt-net.co.jp is a good place for sports cars and also do full checks and fix any problems before selling them. They will cost a little more then a stateside nsx but for under 40k you will have a awesome car with low miles and probably some nice mods.

I understand what you're saying Sam, but it's not going to be as cheap as you think, trust me. Also, there will probably be quite a number of people importing NSXs, much more than "5 in the next 10 years". There will be 5 NSX-Rs by the end of 2017 I'd wager.

You're pretty new to the NSX world, and these cars are not bulletproof.

I am currently living in a RHD country and would like to purchase a RHD NSX.

How does one actually go about purchasing remotely from Japan?

Try goo-net.com or some of their subsidiaries for dealers selling fairly decent cars. They also have an English site, goo-net exchange, but oftentimes more things are disclosed on the Japanese side. You will most likely need a broker both on the Japanese and your country's side. The dealer may be able to arrange all that and shipping to port if you can work out a way to transfer funds. After arriving in NZ, you will have to find out what it takes to legalize and register the car. It may not be much for your country, but the US is a pain.

Does anyone know what is reasonable price for a well maintained 1992 NSX-R with under 100 000 kilometers in Japan that I can import in 4 years? :D

Over 75K right now, more towards 100K. It will only go higher.

I have a RHD Accord CF4 I use as my daily and I do not mind driving it in Canada, you get use to making left turns, it is not that bad.

On the topic of beat up NSX's state side for 25k this is not always true. I Purchased mine for 24k with full service history out of long beach. It just needed the T-Belt and valve lash done which I did myself. When I removed the valve covers the valve train looked amazing considering it had 110 000 miles on it, no signs of varnish anywhere so the oil must have been changed frequently and on time.

There is a black NSX up here that is RHD and it does look pretty cool not gonna lie.

Back