• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ride the Rockies 2007 (September)

Anyone up for a last-minute RTR, say September 15-16 (2.5 weeks from now)?

If you're coming, please indicate such by posting to this thread or emailing Latzke...but also feel free to make that decision at the last minute and join us at JJ's Country Corner in Fort Collins at 8:30am Saturday (or somewhere along the way).

If you have an FRS radio, bring it as we'll use such for car-to-car communications.

My phone number is 970.227.7444.

Confirmed:
Latzke & Passenger - NSX Red 1991 (full drive, overnight)
Whit & Joyce - NSX Black 1992 (full drive, overnight)
Gregg & Virginia - NSX Silver 1991 (full drive, overnight)
Bruce H - NSX Red 1991
RJ2K (Cotton/Rick)- S2K Black 2006 (partial, not overnight)
Vorlon - S2K Black 2005 (full drive, overnight...I think)

Maybe:
001s2k (Alan) - S2K
DaRAVENS2K - S2k

Don't know what RTR is?

RTR is our nickname for a 2-day (overnight) NSX drive in the Rockies.
An example is RTR 2006: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66557

Example Routes
(naming is: day:eek:ption_number)

I brainstormed a couple possible routes earlier this year, but with the addition of a kid and working too many hours I never tried to make anything of it. I wanted to find a good route down in Southern Colorado, but had trouble finding ones that had a combination of the appropriate length, place to eat where we'd be around lunchtime, place to stay at night, etc. It might have been possible with more time/work or more knowledge of the area...which I didn't have.

The routes I ended up liking have us overnighting in Steamboat Springs instead of Carbondale (as previous years). That seems to be a good thing as we'll get a nicer place to stay for similar cost and have the opportunity to drive different roads (especially routes 1:1 and 2:3 below).

When looking at the estimated travel times below, note that they are what Google Maps calculates, we've never come close to taking as long as they estimate for previous routes. Comparing the below routes to previous RTR day 1 routes, 1:1 is longer by a good measure (100 miles, 1.5 hours) and 1:2 is shorter (-20 miles, -1 hour). Comparing to previous RTR day 2 routes, 2:1 is about the same, so you can see how much longer the other two are).

Day 1
1:1 (388mi, 7:59 - lunch in Walden)
1:2 (239mi, 5:20 - Lunch in Walden (restaurant) or Zimmerman Lake(picnic))

Day 2
2:1 (192mi, 4:33 - Lunch in Grandby)
2:2 (270mi, 6:09 - Lunch in Grandby)
2:3 (282mi, 4:56 - Lunch in Glenwood Springs)

Lodging

Trappeurs Crossing in Steamboat Springs (had good experience staying there once skiing) have complementary underground garage parking (under each of the 3 lodges and one under/near the amenities area). Example rates are $200/night (before tax) for a 2-bedroom condo, $300/night (before tax) for a 4-bedroom condo. So depending on how we stuffed ourselves into the rooms (1 person/bedroom or 2 persons/bedroom + fold out living room couch) we're looking at $35-110/person/night (after tax)...likely $50-60 IMO.

When I called they said they have a lot of availability for September 15 and because it's real slow parking probably won't be a problem.

A good option for dinner then might be to take a taxi the 4 miles to downtown for dinner (no hassle with downtown parking, no drinking/driving, cars safe in garage).

Food

In Walden (lunch): We'll probably eat at the River Rock Cafe like last year.
In Steamboat (dinner): Suggestions would be great...or we could decide when we get to the hotel and call ahead.
In Steamboat (breakfast): Trappeurs Crossing does not have continental breakfast as we've had in the past.
In Gandby or Glenwood (lunch): Suggestions would be great, and we should figure out ahead of time.

Last edited:
I'm gonna miss driving with you guys!!!!! :frown:

Give Ferrari man a run for his money for me! I'm gonna miss dueling it out with Mr. Ferrari F550!

Thanks for gettin somethin goin Craig. Joyce and are in. We'd want a queen bed, in case you didn't guess. Let me know if you need help with anything. For day 1, 1:2 looks funner to me (from just lookin at the map). I don't have a preference for day 2. Sounds like a great time!

- Whit

I'd love to go. It's up in the air whether I can or not. We just purchased a new plane and we could have to do some training that weekend with it. It will be las minute if I can make it. I'll just have to take my chances on hotel etc. Amy might come, but she'd like to bring her SL55 to drive. Is is okay for non NSXs to come as well? I guess, since the Ferrari guy was there last year. Don't count on us until you see us. I really want to make it. It was a blast last year!!!

You mean 575!!! Mike newborn right???

I don't remember his name. I swore it was a F550? I won't point him out in these pictures but you'll see what I'm talking about. I do remember him DESTROYING me from a dead stop at a light. Unless we were stopped, all I ever saw of him was the back of it from a distance while I tried to play catch up, or his tiny headlights growing bigger FAST because we made him start from the back of the pack, lol.

How do you tell the difference between the 550 and 575? they look the same to me..... Either one is still ungodly fast!

Attachments

• 14474P1070023-med.JPG
    14474P1070023-med.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0045.jpg
    DSCF0045.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 86
  • NSX RTR2006 055.jpg
    NSX RTR2006 055.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF0046.jpg
    DSCF0046.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
I'd love to go. It's up in the air whether I can or not. We just purchased a new plane and we could have to do some training that weekend with it. It will be las minute if I can make it. I'll just have to take my chances on hotel etc. Amy might come, but she'd like to bring her SL55 to drive. Is is okay for non NSXs to come as well? I guess, since the Ferrari guy was there last year. Don't count on us until you see us. I really want to make it. It was a blast last year!!!

Don't forget Nugget and his lady friend in the S2k's. So I'm certain it'll be ok. Really wish I could make it this year. I best the best time as a nsx owner with you guys last year.

Don't forget the coyote sticker on your driver door just to the right of the side view mirror to mark down the kills :p

maybe someone know the owner and could just ask? lol Hey, Tuan didn't you get into a confrontation with Johnny Law with a few other guys. Same guy? What car was it?

Don't forget Nugget and his lady friend in the S2k's. So I'm certain it'll be ok. Really wish I could make it this year. I best the best time as a nsx owner with you guys last year.

Don't forget the coyote sticker on your driver door just to the right of the side view mirror to mark down the kills :p

KooLaid,

I thought of you the other day. I was at the La Junta track and was going wide open down the straightaway and a prairie dog ran out in front of me!!! I barely missed him. I was ready to add him to the list of kills on the NSX though. I wish you could make it too. You have a sweet car for sure. Maybe we need to extend the RTR to come out to your neck of the woods!!!:smile: Take care.

Chris

LoL, if I still have the cash like I did this time last year, I'd make the trip over. I'm broooooooooke. You guys are the best to hang out with. Good times, good times.

I swear though, you should put little stickers on your car for the kills, lol. Acme NSX for your little coyote incident, lol.

My car used to be sweeeeet. Colorado driving REALLY takes a toll on the poor things. It got rocked chipped to death from the last RTR! LoL, my car went from black to salt and peppa! I wonder how damage I did to the 575! (thanks tuan, lol) that was the reason he was always up front, we'd spray the life out of him with rocks! I still remember our 35mph corner at several TIMES the limit just past where we stopped to do our little hike from hell, where 575 and I got up on the two outter corner wheels when we hit that big bump on the inside edge of the lane. Nugget's little S2k just missed it! Talk about wardrobe change.

You guys are sure to have an even better RTR this year. Hopefully the weather stays good! We just had rain last year, but even that made it fun! reminded me of the Open wheel races on TV, champ cars when they ran in the rain. All you saw was white spray and maybe brake lights, lol.

Hope you fellas get a chance to make it to california sometime and enjoy that free 15% to 30% horsepower increase! (assuming 3% hp/1000 ft elevation gain hp loss)

Unfortunately, I've already got plans for that weekend. Maybe we can fit in a barbecue before the summer ends. We can host. What does everyone think?

Have fun on the drive, and we want lots of pictures!

Steve

i wish i could make it but dont think a 2 day trip would be possible,

just wondering ive been seeing a lot of NSX's lately after i got mine,

red / black top here in boulder

red/red top driving us36 heading to westminster / denver

and a silver with his t top opened in boulder

wondering if they are on the forums.

Wanted to update this to note that we're not making lodging reservations because there is plenty of availability and that gives us flexibility to best accommodate anyone who decides last-minute to join. We're meeting at JJ's Corner in Fort Collins at 8:30am Saturday.

If you have an FRS radio, bring it as we'll use such for car-to-car communications.

I also updated the day-1 maps (we're going to do the second route, BTW), so if you've printed those...you'll want to reprint. I'll have enough maps printed to cover everyone who lets me know by 9pm on Friday that they're coming.

Last edited:
Craig,

Can't make it. I wish we could, but we just can't. Have a great time and be careful. I'm up for any other events or get togethers. Thanks, Craig for putting this together. Last year was a blast.

Chris

Thanks for making this happen, Craig. Was a great time. Nice meeting some people, too.

NSX_TrailRidge_Small.jpg

The 4 NSXs listed under "confirmed" in the first post made it. There were 4 other cars (non-NSXs) that took off with us, but had to split early on.

LoL, guess I missed that. So any crazy stories to share this year guys? I know we had our fair share, lol.

Did you include a hike into this one too? :mad: :tongue:
Driving was much more reserved this year. Only marginally crazy story I recall is me nearly merging into a huge truck. I thought there was a merge lane, there wasn't (or at least not one that was paved:wink:). Worst driving mistake in years and 3 of ya'll got to witness.

No hike, but this summer my family hiked the one we failed to complete during last year's RTR. It's an easy hike & beautiful lake. We were almost there last year...shouldn't have turned around. I want to include it next year...maybe a picnic lunch at the lake (hiking a mile uphill at 10,000ft after driving 70 miles should make the food taste real good).

Worst driving mistake in years

Yeah, sure buddy. :tongue:

Nothing crazy, but that's fine. It was nice to get out and drive for a couple days.

One interesting event was when we were all parked on the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere. A very old couple from Montana pulls up in a Camry and tries to sell us their 2000 NSX! Seriously, the last people you'd expect, in the last place you'd expect. We thought it was a joke, until they busted out a picture of it. Apparently, it was the old lady's.

Another good thing that came outta the trip...
Being that we had the only N/A NSX there, I think Joyce now realizes that we NEED forced induction in Colorado. :biggrin:

Back