• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RIM Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to BB to play with the playbook...What a piece of $hit. I can't believe they shipped that thing with that type of software. I can see there is a bias here with some of the posts...

Android smartphone market share falls, remains top U.S. smartphone OS | Electricpig

"For the first time in recent memory Android smartphone market share in the U.S. has declined, albeit a modest one percentage point — down from 37 to 36 percent. Meanwhile iOS fell from 27 to 26 percent, Windows Phone 7 hovered at one percent and Windows Mobile is still hanging on with nine percent. Wonder who walked away with the only increase?

BlackBerry OS. With an increase from 22 to 23 percent, RIM’s smartphone OS became the only smartphone operating system to see an increase in U.S. market share between February and April 2011. Beyond the market share, the report also dives into the data usage of the respective smartphone users. Walking away with the most average data consumed per user per month was Android with 582MB, followed by iOS with 492MB, webOS with 448MB, Windows Phone with 317MB, Windows Mobile with 174MB and BlackBerry OS 127MB.

I went to BB to play with the playbook...What a piece of $hit. I can't believe they shipped that thing with that type of software. I can see there is a bias here with some of the posts...

Maybe you can explain your comments a little more. The OS on the Playbook is easily the best tablet OS out right now. All the rest are Phone OSs.

Here's my BGR post...

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/06/research-in-motion-just-got-out-fruited/

Look, people that know me know that I’ve been a BlackBerry fan from the beginning. The entire reason BGR was started was because I was breaking information on upcoming BlackBerry devices, mainly because I was obsessed with RIM and wanted to share that information. As we’ve all seen, however, RIM isn’t the market leader any longer. The company really isn’t innovating, and even worse, it’s not even competing with the titans of the smartphone space now: Google and Apple. All three companies have different product strategies, with Google and RIM being the most similar — they view devices as products, and features as check lists. Apple views devices as windows, and features as end-to-end experiences. Hit the break for the rest.

The real problem with RIM is that it hasn’t innovated for years. In that time, RIM’s entire product portfolio has been arguably lackluster, reduced to meaningless hardware upgrades and meaningless software upgrades. The company has tried to right its path by transitioning to QNX, an OS it purchased that will not only run the company’s tablets but smartphones as well in the next year to two. And the PlayBook by itself isn’t a bad product — but compared to the iPad, it’s a non-starter. RIM’s BlackBerry OS 7 (also known as BlackBerry OS 6.1, also known as the same OS as BlackBerry 6, also known as the same OS as BlackBerry OS 5, also known as the same OS as BlackBerry 4.7, also known as the same OS as BlackBerry 4.5, also known as the same OS as BlackBerry 4.3, also known as the same OS as BlackBerry 4.2, also known as the same OS as BlackBerry 4.0…) isn’t an overhaul, but just another stop-gap solution until QNX.

So the question now becomes: if a company that hasn’t shown any leadership in the smartphone space hasn’t caught up to where it needs to be today, then how will it ever catch up? As it stands, RIM offers decent hardware with borderline-terrible software. In the future, judging from the PlayBook, RIM will offer decent hardware with mediocre software.

A high-level source at RIM told me that co-CEO Mike Lazaridis’ biggest fear was Apple creating a BlackBerry Messenger competitor. Today, Apple introduced iMessage, an app and service that not only looks better than BlackBerry Messenger, but probably works better as well. RIM’s push email and corporate integration pitch is losing steam, and the company pretty much just got out-fruited. We exclusively reported the company was planning on launching an Android and then iPhone BlackBerry Messenger app, but that was supposed to be at least 3-4 months out for Android, and possibly a year for iOS.

I’m sad. Sad because RIM doesn’t get it — and I’m not sure it ever will get it — and sad because RIM had the opportunity to once again be that innovator that it was in the past. It’s still possible… but with each day, each press conference, and each product introduction from elsewhere in the tech community, that chance looks smaller and smaller.

You know what was the other thing Mike Lazaridis is scared of most from Apple? A hardware keyboard on an iPhone. Shit.

Last edited:
Last edited:
But yet you just posted something from BGR that had you concerned.

So, what specifically in that article is crap? Or is this just another ad-hominem comment?

Regardless, the bottom line is the same. RIM is making some bad decisions lately and management is suspect.

But yet you just posted something from BGR that had you concerned.

So, what specifically in that article is crap? Or is this just another ad-hominem comment?

Regardless, the bottom line is the same. RIM is making some bad decisions lately and management is suspect.

One was a rumor. This is just HIS opinion -- which is bias.

But yes, RIM's management needs changing. They cannot execute.

Good post that put the blame directly where it belongs. On the management.

When the iPhone came out RIM's co-CEOs went out of their way to belittle and laugh at Apple's offering. This was done internally throughout the company. Anyone pointing out that Apple might be on to something was shut down. And therefore the culture of sticking their collective heads in the sand began. Eventually when Apple's and Android's success was undeniable, it was too late. Arrogance, pure and simple.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ex-rim-employee-2011-6

Research In Motion's collapse can be traced straight to the top of the company, where its execs are woefully out of touch with consumers, says a former employee who wrote us last night.
"The problem is that they brim with hubris regarding their success in the corporate market and are culturally blind to the gaping holes in their armour regarding consumer. They honestly think they understand consumer product, business, mentality, marketing - but they really don't," says our source.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...investor-jarislowsky-sold-half-its-stake.html

Billionaire Stephen Jarislowsky, one of Research In Motion Ltd. (RIM)’s largest shareholders, added his name to the call for the BlackBerry smartphone maker to split the roles of chairman and chief executive officer.
“You should not have these two people at both positions because they have worked together all their lives and they are basically the same person, from point of view of policy,” Jarislowsky, chairman of Jarislowsky Fraser Ltd., said today in an interview.

The Montreal-based investment firm -- formerly the company’s sixth-biggest investor, with 10.2 million shares of RIM at the end of the first quarter -- has sold more than half its stake, he said.

Hey, I just wanted to say this... i was playing Rimm in the market hardcore before I bought the NSX. I was playing the RIMM options like a mad man, and it got me a car. Of course it tanked today so i could have kept playing.

Without RIMM... No NSX for me

Hey, I just wanted to say this... i was playing Rimm in the market hardcore before I bought the NSX. I was playing the RIMM options like a mad man, and it got me a car. Of course it tanked today so i could have kept playing.

Without RIMM... No NSX for me

its probably a great buy right now cause they have nowhere to go but up.

its probably a great buy right now cause they have nowhere to go but up.

Solid fundamentals, but I always short them on earnings. I know they cut back estimates, but RIMM is a falling star. I love blackberries to death and refuse to ditch mine but the company is going to lose if they can't make it into the app game...

The new playbook does run android apps, so If Rimm allows android software to be run on the phones, i think they might have a chance.

Solid fundamentals, but I always short them on earnings. I know they cut back estimates, but RIMM is a falling star. I love blackberries to death and refuse to ditch mine but the company is going to lose if they can't make it into the app game...

The new playbook does run android apps, so If Rimm allows android software to be run on the phones, i think they might have a chance.

Well the qnx phones will run android apps through an emulator but that is a year out. they need to get the new phones out today and get a native email client on the pb asap.

Rim stock tanked a long time ago and made it back up. This will be no different. It is a huge wakeup call for them.

I think android is hot right now but well see in a year where it is. Android has been around a long time and nobody cared about it until the motorolla droid.

Yeah, but then they're just another Android phone among the others.

Yeah, but then they're just another Android phone among the others.

thats not true at all. Totally different os. totally different user experience. different security. bbm. etc. being able to run android apps is a win win for those that want the bb experience but want a huge app market.

Personally i want a phone with more than a 5 hour battery life.

Also i wish they has ios apps becsuse most apple apps i have tried are better than their android equivalents.

Last edited:
thats not true at all. Totally different os. totally different user experience. different security. bbm. etc. being able to run android apps is a win win for those that want the bb experience but want a huge app market.

Also i wish they has ios apps becsuse most apple apps i have tried are better than their android equivalents.

I have a Bold 9700 and a HTC Thunderbolt. If you think about battery life. The Blackberry would have to do a MAJOR hardware upgrade on the phones to run android software, and at that point battery life would be the same if not worse.

I use the blackberry for work/personal. and the thunderbolt because my brother works at Verizon and I got suckered into it

Running everyone else's app is a kludge. The UI is often tied to the hardware (screen res) and it's just even more of a fractured experience. Is it a buggy app or a buggy emulator or what?

RIM might as well get out of the hardware business then and just sell secure communications apps for iOS and Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back