• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RIM Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
and if after two years of working closely with Adobe on integrating Flash...if this is the best they can do (repeated crashing), you can understand why Apple/Jobs gave up on supporting Flash.

----

Just FYI, you can turn flash off if you don't want it on. They did it on the crackberry review. I didn't know you could do that. Imagine giving your users a choice.... something apple will never do.

Everyone should keep in mind that when Apple made the decision not to include Flash support it was way more than a year ago. Flash is still problematic today (even though RIM worked hand-in-hand with Adobe for a very long time, so just imagine how crappy it was when Apple made their decision.

Everyone should keep in mind that when Apple made the decision not to include Flash support it was way more than a year ago. Flash is still problematic today (even though RIM worked hand-in-hand with Adobe for a very long time, so just imagine how crappy it was when Apple made their decision.

Yes. I am starting to actually think that might have been a good idea. We'll see if the newer builds on the PB improve it.

I thought it was interesting that even crackberry guy said he would most likely turn it off. If you are going to do that, you might as well get an ipad.

When the iPad was released and all the Flash criticisms arose I have to admit wishing that Apple would include Flash with a way of turning it off. That way all the focus would have been directed on Adobe, where it belongs.

That way people could see the poor performance and battery life and user-interface issues firsthand. There would have been benchmarks and stats which would have vindicated Apple's decision.

But in the end I suspect it was Jobs decision not to waste time and money supporting this standard that back a year or two ago must have really been unworkable.

I just used the PB last night at best buy mobile. They just got a demo unit in. Wow. It is amazing.

I am getting one for sure.

It is definately an advantage right now to own a BB. You can use BB bridge to browse the web on your tablet anywhere using your 3g phone connection. No additional plan needed. This is awesome.

If I was a non-BB user, I would wait for a 3g/4g one with the native email client etc that is coming within 60 days.

I just used the PB last night at best buy mobile. They just got a demo unit in. Wow. It is amazing.

It is definately an advantage right now to own a BB. You can use BB bridge to browse the web on your tablet anywhere using your 3g phone connection. No additional plan needed. This is awesome.

If I was a non-BB user, I would wait for a 3g/4g one with the native email client etc that is coming within 60 days.

So how would you rate it against the zoom? I want to replace my macbook with a tablet, while I'm offshore.

So how would you rate it against the zoom? I want to replace my macbook with a tablet, while I'm offshore.

I think it is much better than zoom. I don't like much about the zoom. It is big and heavy. The interface isn't really good either.

It would be between ipad2 and playbook IMO. But I don't think either will replace a laptop unless you just want to surf the web and do email.

Size wise I really like how small the pb is and how easy it will be to carry around.

Now that the PB has been in the hands of reviewers for more than a day, we're seeing more in depth reviews....

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-technology/rim-blackberry-playbook-unfinished-unusable-534

But I doubt that RIM actually listened to customers or outsiders -- the train wreck is just too complete for there to have been anything other than heads deeply buried in sand. Still, it's one thing to see an impending train wreck and fret. It's another to view the aftermath -- it's a lot worse than I could have imagined, and it feels awful to look at it.

Why RIM chose to ship the PlayBook in such a state is unfathomable. The iPad 2 and Xoom have been out for weeks, so there's no heading them off at the pass. Instead, the PlayBook debuted with all eyes on it -- but instead of a world-class performer, we got the homeless guy who plays air guitar in front of the mall.

Last edited:

I've read somewhere that you can't use the Playbook with a Blackberry on AT&T. Something about AT&T not letting you install/use the Bridge application. Were you able to bridge it to your phone?

I've read somewhere that you can't use the Playbook with a Blackberry on AT&T. Something about AT&T not letting you install/use the Bridge application. Were you able to bridge it to your phone?

Yes. I am on verizon.

There is a work around for ATT but that does really suck. Hopefully they will allow it soon. They are just worried about losing money on tethering because of Bridge Browser IMO.

Honestly, without bridge I wouldnt get a PB at this time.

Re: Wall Street Journal

Just today... Walll Street Journal article...

http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2011/04/21/gmp-downgrades-rimm-playbook-not-ready/?mod=yahoo_hs

Ah, Michael Urlocker, the GMP analyst who follows Research in Motion, is back at it again.

After pounding the table for RIMM at the end of last month, he’s thrown in the towel (again), downgrading the BlackBerry maker to hold from buy.

The stock is still really cheap — in fact cheaper than when he said RIMM looked tres cheap on March 30 based on valuation. But after mulling RIMM’s valuation for an additional three weeks, Urlocker now sees a possible “value trap” wherein a stock looks cheap but isn’t’ because its prospects are diminishing.

Urlocker says PlayBook, RIMM’s hyped tablet, doesn’t seem ready for the market. He describes his own experience with the device as buggy. “Our early experience with the PlayBook suggests the product is not ready; several minor bugs, large software upgrades, absence of useful applications, inconsistent and buggy bridge software suggest the product was rushed to market with poor quality control.”

GMP, like most other Canadian securities firms, has usually been a fierce RIMM backer. Heck, GMP brags about its relationship with RIMM on its own website. But Urlocker has tried to demonstrate an independent streak. He downgraded RIMM to hold last August and reduce back in December before getting back on the buy bandwagon in January.

He is practically wistful about the downgrade. “We think RIMM is executing poorly. We had expected better for this flagship product.”

Verizon kicks ‘em when they’re down, saying it is still “undecided” about carrying the PlayBook.

RIMM shares are off 1.5% to 53.66. Apple up 2.8% at 352.02. Motorola Mobility up more than 3%.

(Note: The writer of this post is a proud BlackBerry owner.)

A great article that explains what has happened in the mobile marketplace over the last few years.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-t...lure-mobile-flops-rim-microsoft-and-nokia-566

Research in Motion's BlackBerry PlayBook is so bad that Verizon Wireless may not bother carrying it -- a spokesperson said so the day after the PlayBook debuted to customers. AT&T won't let BlackBerry users download the essential app (BlackBerry Bridge) that brings email and communications apps to the PlayBook. Carriers are arms dealers, selling weapons to anyone for a price, but even they are drawing the line at the PlayBook......

.......RIM was even worse than Microsoft in this regard. The PlayBook has no manageability and almost no security capabilities, yet it relies on the user having the most conservative smartphone there is: a BlackBerry. The pairing makes no sense, and it's inconceivable why RIM would throw away its history and come out with a device that is less secure than any competing product.

Plus, despite the word "play" in its name, it had nothing truly playful or cool. No apps stand out (despite having hired away much of DataViz's mobile apps team), and a 35-year-old title (Tetris) is its hallmark game. If RIM was comfortable trashing its security history, it didn't seem to know what to bring to the mix instead.

Last edited:
What a joke. Yet another iPhone killer. Yawn. Haven't we heard this before from RIM?

Big announcement and the phones won't even be shipping until the late summer!

That should help RIM's stock price.....Not.

Some people actually like real keyboards Jimbo. BES is coming to iOS too.. guess that is a big joke too?

The Bold is certainly NOT an apple killer, but it is what a lot of BB users have been looking for.

There is no such thing as an Apple killer. Every phone has its own market.

Just because YOU do not like it, doesnt mean it isn't good.

The amazingly long pre-announcement is what my main point was. I find it unbelievable that they would pre-announce a product that won't ship for months. Although, I shouldn't be surprised, since they did that with the PB.

And now RIM is in bed with MSFT and locked into Bing. Yeah, that's a great move. Sounds like a lose-lose proposition. I'm sure MSFT's new partner, Nokia, loved that announcement.

Also just heard that RIM gave 16GB Playbooks to every attendee at the show! I don't know how many units that is, but I guess that's one way to get rid of inventory that didn't sell.

This thread isn't about me not liking RIM... it's about RIM's missteps, poor decisions, dismal reviews, CEO walking out of interviews, poor leadership etc.

This is nothing personal, just commenting on what the media is commenting on already with regard to RIM failure in the marketplace.

After all, it's not like RIM has these great products that get great reviews and the company is doing fantastically well. Yes, there's a loyal fanbase that's hanging on, but no real growth. It's interesting how a once-leader company can lose their leadership position so quickly. RIM made fun of the iPhone when it came out. They dismissed it and never thought it would amount to anything. They ignored the iPhone and now they're trying to play catch up.

Good article on the relevancy of Flash (written by a PlayBook user).

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/one-year-after-ipad-is-adobe-flash-still-relevant/16967

Considering Adobe just started to ship its HTML5-capable Creative Suite - its seems like the writing is on the wall.

I didn't even bother reading it. Here is the deal. I like having flash. It works great. If flash goes away and everything is HTML5, great.. the PB works great with it. Either way, the PB rox.

Wall Street Journal - May 6 2011

Recent mobile phone data shows gains for Apple and Google, and losses for Research in Motion and Motorola.

The research firm comScore reported that Samsung continues to top the manufacturers table, while Google’s Android operating system, which Samsung and other phonemakers use, has become the most popular SmartPhone platform.

For the three months ending in March, Samsung had 24.5% of the handset market, down a fraction. Apple was the biggest gainer, rising to a market share of 7.9% from 6.8% at the end of the fourth quarter. Motorola’s share eased to 15.8% from 16.7%. RIMM was essentially flat at 8.4%.

RIMM, however, saw a sharp decline in the SmartPhone platform market share, falling from the top spot as its share fell to 27.1% from 31.6%. Google rose to a 34.7% market share from 28.7%. Apple grew 0.5% to 25.5% of the SmartPhone market. Microsoft and Palm each decline about 1 percentage point.

RIMM shares, weak earlier in the day, have added to their losses, skidding 2.8% to 45.97. Motorola Mobility is down about 1% at 24.73. Apple, Google and Microsoft are edging higher.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/30/us-column-canada-markets-idUSTRE74S1G520110530

Investors are clamoring for RIM to come up with a credible response to Apple's iPhone and smartphones based on Google's Android operating system.

As its market share erodes, RIM's shares are sinking, setting the stage for a deep-pocketed activist like Carl Icahn to step in, buy on the cheap and press for big changes.

Meanwhile, the co-chief executives -- Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie -- could start feeling the heat.

Grumblings about their strategic missteps were audible in the bars and breakout rooms at RIM's BlackBerry World conference in Orlando, Florida, earlier this month.

"These guys are very emotionally invested, taxed for time, and feel the pressure of being left behind and seeing your market fade away," said an investor at a top-30 fund that would likely support but not instigate an activist play.

In an open letter ahead of the BlackBerry conference, Northern Securities analyst Sameet Kanade asked RIM to consider dropping Balsillie as a co-CEO, among other recommendations.

Android smartphone market share falls, remains top U.S. smartphone OS | Electricpig

"For the first time in recent memory Android smartphone market share in the U.S. has declined, albeit a modest one percentage point — down from 37 to 36 percent. Meanwhile iOS fell from 27 to 26 percent, Windows Phone 7 hovered at one percent and Windows Mobile is still hanging on with nine percent. Wonder who walked away with the only increase?

BlackBerry OS. With an increase from 22 to 23 percent, RIM’s smartphone OS became the only smartphone operating system to see an increase in U.S. market share between February and April 2011. Beyond the market share, the report also dives into the data usage of the respective smartphone users. Walking away with the most average data consumed per user per month was Android with 582MB, followed by iOS with 492MB, webOS with 448MB, Windows Phone with 317MB, Windows Mobile with 174MB and BlackBerry OS 127MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back