• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Road Trip to D.C. and etc.

Hello,

My wife and I will be visiting D.C. While we are there, we are planning to travel around Maryland, Virgina, North Carolina or South Carolina since we have never been to those states.

We are planning to make it into a 6-day trip, in which two days will be spent in D.C., and the rest is up in the air. What are some of the places that we should go? We do not want anything too crowded. We would like to see something that can well present the "feel" of these states.

The one thing that someone recommended was to check out "crab" restaurants near beaches since it's a crab season. I have no clue where to go regarding this. Are they in Marylan? North Carolina?

Any comments or recommendation would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hey Hey!

you can good crabs at Sea Pride (in the city) they are spicy as they use black pepper/season salt mix.

Lot of folks goto the downtown harbour (wharf) Perosnally, I dont like it there too much, but it is right in the city, and other folks seem to be fine with it.

If you want something different try obrecki's in Baltimore (garlic butter sauce)

There are alot of seafood places that sell crabs by the dozen as well. Most of which are pretty good. Avoid the guys in the trucks.

The baltimore habor has lots of restaurants too with lots of choices and sights.

Thanks so much!

P.S. Is that Kalbi (Korean short-rib BBQ) and Kimchi in your avatar? You have a good taste. Kalbi and Dwen Jang Chi Gye are my favorite :biggrin:

Hello. For some shopping and ethnic dining in NOVA, you can try Old Town Alexandria. Great to walk arround on the afternoon if weather is good.

You got to drive at least part of Skyline Drive, which twists arround the Shenandoah Mountains.

Old Town Fredericksburg (I-95 corridor, exit 130 and 133) is another must see.

You may want to take a trip to Great Falls near the McLean, VA area off of 495. It's always nice there during the late spring, early summmer days. For the best Peking Duck, you should try to go to Peking Gourmet Inn. President Bush both Jr, and Sr often eat there.

Also, you may want to drive down to Charlottesville, VA, home of the UVA Wahoos...my alma mater, (on Rt 29S). Lots of culture and yogurt...on your way to Skyline Drive. See the "Rotunda" on UVA's central grounds and Montecello, where Thomas Jefferson calls home. Plus lots of Va vineyards...Boars head, Barboursville. :biggrin:

You may want to drive a bit slower. The Va State Troopers are pretty strict and won't let you off with a warning....trust me. :eek:

Enjoy,

Joe

Hey Tiger. It all depends on what you want to experience. Old Town Alexandria is def cool place to walk around and lots of restaurant as mentioned above. If you like to experience the downtown atmosphere, Dupont Circle or Adams Morgan is cool but parking will be a biznatch and a half. And of course, if you like the touristy stuff, you can go to all the memorials and museums, which shouldn't be too bad if you go during the day time on weekdays(11am-3pm). this is the best time of the year to do the tourist stuff as it's nice to walk around without sweating gallons. Shoppingwise, your wife may enjoy walking around in Georgetown, but you may find it hurtful on your wallet :tongue: and the traffic/parking is crazy there as well.

-ak

I vote for crabs in Annapolis, MD.
If you like Italian food, little Italy in Balitmore is great (follow I83 South to the inner harbor).
A run down along the outer banks of North Carolina (mapquest Morehead City) would also be in cards for me.

Have a great trip!

Thank you so much for great ideas.

My wife is mostly interested in walking around towns which features "southern" or "classic" feel of MD/VA/NC/SC.

Once again, thank you!

TigerNSX said:
Thank you so much for great ideas.

My wife is mostly interested in walking around towns which features "southern" or "classic" feel of MD/VA/NC/SC.

Once again, thank you!

Well come on over to Charleston. Where the northern advancement started the war :)
You'll have a good time

and while your at it you can come through columbia. where everyone is ohh so friendly :biggrin:

Dirty Dicks in NC... they have really funny signs that say: "I got my crabs at Dirty Dicks'" hehe..

anywho.. ever think of virginia beach? We have some really nice classic places right on the beach...

x

VBNSX said:
Dirty Dicks in NC... they have really funny signs that say: "I got my crabs at Dirty Dicks'" hehe..

anywho.. ever think of virginia beach? We have some really nice classic places right on the beach...

x

That's true. They have Williamsburg. Great place to stop by on your way to NC outer banks.

I recommend Summit Point, WV, Virginia International Raceway, and Roebling Rd. :biggrin:

Williamsburg is a great tourist spot- restored Colonial capital of Virginia. Also there is a Busch Gardens and a water park there for the kiddies (if you have any).

Back