• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Road tripping this summer

I want to post this up and semi plan it out. I figure it's a good time in my life to drive across country because I have a job that allows me to take a vaca, no kids, no woman, and in good health.

I'm trying to maybe meet up some nsx'ers across country since over the past years been communicating with some cool people and would like to finally meet.

If nobody responds it's fine too because as of right now I have 2 definite stops. One being in AZ and the other will be in New Orleans on the way back.

I'm going to try and plan my trip in 12 hour drive increments but if you have a spare room or garage floor with a cot shoot me a message. :biggrin:

Where is your start point? Do you have an end point? Do you want to see/drive scenic places?

I've driven across country 3 times in my 2005 S2000; from Los Angeles County to Marietta, Ohio in 2005, to Wintergreen, Virginia in 2007 and to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 2009.

Twelve hours of driving is a lot! I planned my trips in advance so I had a hotel lined up each night and I knew how far I had to drive each day. The most I ever drove at once was 750 miles, from So Cal to Albuquerque, NM.

My starting point is East side of PA.

First stop is Indy. I'll be hitting up Mitch, Mitch if you read this I'll text sometime soon.

Second stop I'm trying to make it to MN or SD

Third stop ID or NV

Forth Stop CA

Fifth Stop Ross's for a few days in AZ

Sixth Stop TX

Seventh Stop LA

Eight Stop somewhere in NC or SC

Ninth Stop home.

I have a max of 16 days to complete this trip!

Looking forward to meeting up when you're in SoCal.

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to ship everyone their parts?

My suggestion is to hit as many national parks as you can. Not the best time of year but it's still worth it. You could save a good chunk of change if you wanted by camping out; plenty of room in the NSX for camping gear. Of course you'll want to try to hit the Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc. Arkansas has some great roads with low population density. The Texas Hill Country is great, the rest of the state is trash for driving roads (and I love the state and have lived all over it my entire life). If you have any specific questions about areas west of the Mississippi River I've done them all; don't hesitate to PM me. I'd suggest parts of Canada and Alaska if you are feeling adventurous but that will be a bit dicey this time of year in an NSX.

OP said this summer? Canada and Alaska are a good possibility. Cant' beat BRP (radar recommended) and dragon. TN/NC got some good roads.

I'd love to go up to Canada again but just can't at this point. I've been to 2x est fests and love it up there though.

I can't wait for Texas though too. It's going to be a good trip. I just need to get my car done and ready. I'm going to actually see if I can take 3 weeks and just not get paid for one week, haha.

Why don't you plan the NC stop around NSXPO 2013? :)

I went from SF to Raleigh in mine, memorable experience (good and bad) to say the least.

My starting point is East side of PA.

First stop is Indy. I'll be hitting up Mitch, Mitch if you read this I'll text sometime soon.

Second stop I'm trying to make it to MN or SD

Third stop ID or NV

Forth Stop CA

Fifth Stop Ross's for a few days in AZ

Sixth Stop TX

Seventh Stop LA

Eight Stop somewhere in NC or SC

Ninth Stop home.

I have a max of 16 days to complete this trip!

I have made many cross-country trips in both the NSX and my vintage BMWs, and, as others have said, do less driving in the scenic areas and spend more time in the National Parks areas.

Looking at your schedule, I'd say:
1) get from IN to ND as fast as you can and spend time in The Badlands and the especially the Black Hills... fantastic scenery, great National monuments and Parks, and great driving roads.
2) make Yellowstone your (WY) next destination (about 500 miles) or better yet head down through WY to CO and either go south through the Rockies or West on I80 and then South to Moah, UT where there are spectacular national Parks, scenery, and great little town (you can then go west to NV and drive Hwy #50 from Ely to Reno)... you won't be disappointed either way with things to see and the driving roads with these choices.
3) Lots to see in CA, especially in NoCal and along the coast down to Santa Barbara.
4) AZ is loaded with great places to visit, e.g., Grand Canyon, Sedona ... but, if you have time get to SW Utah to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon...spectacular!!
5) TX is best in Austin and San Antonio .... huge State to drive!! On the way there are some great places in NM as well, e.g., Sanat Fe and Taos
6) NO (so-so), but parts of the Gulf coast past NO are great
7) then head to Deals Gap in NC to drive the Tail of the Dragon, and if you have time, get to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
8) then Home

These are just a few suggestions, as there are many thing to see in this BIG country... but, these are places that I always got go again and again, as they are IMO the best! enjoy your trip!

I have made many cross-country trips in both the NSX and my vintage BMWs, and, as others have said, do less driving in the scenic areas and spend more time in the National Parks areas.

Looking at your schedule, I'd say:
1) get from IN to ND as fast as you can and spend time in The Badlands and the especially the Black Hills... fantastic scenery, great National monuments and Parks, and great driving roads.
2) make Yellowstone your (WY) next destination (about 500 miles) or better yet head down through WY to CO and either go south through the Rockies or West on I80 and then South to Moah, UT where there are spectacular national Parks, scenery, and great little town (you can then go west to NV and drive Hwy #50 from Ely to Reno)... you won't be disappointed either way with things to see and the driving roads with these choices.
3) Lots to see in CA, especially in NoCal and along the coast down to Santa Barbara.
4) AZ is loaded with great places to visit, e.g., Grand Canyon, Sedona ... but, if you have time get to SW Utah to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon...spectacular!!
5) TX is best in Austin and San Antonio .... huge State to drive!! On the way there are some great places in NM as well, e.g., Sanat Fe and Taos
6) NO (so-so), but parts of the Gulf coast past NO are great
7) then head to Deals Gap in NC to drive the Tail of the Dragon, and if you have time, get to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
8) then Home

These are just a few suggestions, as there are many thing to see in this BIG country... but, these are places that I always got go again and again, as they are IMO the best! enjoy your trip!

So much information in that one post. I never thought about stopping at any parks or things like that. I'll have to research a bunch of those things you just stated though. Your reference to the "badlands" reminds me of this jason aldean song, haha.

When in SD, definitely swing through the Black Hills and spend a day. Some of the most unknown driver's roads are in that area. We have a vacation property out there and go twice a year. The roads in the NSX never get old.

Definitely agree with these recommendations. Holler when you're in AZ! Would love to meet up. I'm jealous - sounds like a great trip.

Back