• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Roll cage installed (pics)

Finally done. Not the ultra multiple tube cage but a big plus for my safety during track days.

arceau_001.JPG

arceau_002.JPG

arceau_003.JPG

arceau_004.JPG

arceau_005.JPG

arceau_006.JPG

arceau_007.JPG

arceau_008.JPG

What's the thickness of the tube? Diameter and wall. Steel? So it is a cross between a full cage and a Rollbar it looks like.

The side bar is removable, right? Why did you do that instead of welding it in? Is this a street car too? I am just trying to understand the goals behind the design.

Good question on the side bar. In fact I did not ask for something specific. Note that this is the same on the cage that Heigo made for austrian type-R and I asked to take the inspiration on it. The cage is removable without cutting any bar.

But isn't this a track car? A bolt-in is not remotely as safe, those bolts can easily break then you have a loose bar moving about.

Why bolt on? It's not even a swing out?

and those welds look like shit...

Car forum rule number 1.

People will ALWAYS have something to say about any roll cage posted.

Guess thats the point of a forum though.

How tall are you asylum? and what brackets are those for the seats? They look pretty high up and far forward, I sit all the way down to the floor and im almost still too tall. :/

Car forum rule number 1.

People will ALWAYS have something to say about any roll cage posted.

Guess thats the point of a forum though.

I didn't say anything negative, I am trying to ask questions and give input. I am very interested in what he has done here. MY point with the bolts is for his own safety. If that's wrong to say then I don't know anything. Everyone is part of a community here and I wouldn't want anyone killed on the track because of some design flaw when I could have said something.

I am also curious about how good of a seal you have on the rear lexan panel. Do you get a lot of engine noise? Might be hard to tell with all the insulation and carpet removed anyway but was curious. Is that an airtight seal?

How tall are you asylum? and what brackets are those for the seats? They look pretty high up and far forward, I sit all the way down to the floor and im almost still too tall. :/

I am 5'6. Light is right. I have the Gt-Rom seat rails. Seats are bolted on the upper holes. I can not bolt on the lower ones because the seat is slightly to large to pass in between the rails.

Will it even pass tech for any National organization running any thing other than HPDE ?

I don't believe it will with the bolt in side impact bars.

Last edited:
Don't know for US norms. But, for example, FIA homologation is not a matter of bolt vs weld as lots of FIA approved cages have bolted points. Now if you are able by looking to a picture that a crapy welded side bar will be safer than my bolted one, I thank you for advice. I prefer to rely on the experience of someone making FIA approved cages for years. Anyway, I ask this cage to do the job hopping it will never have to.

From the FIA regulation files :

8.3.2.1.2 Doorbars :
One or more longitudinal members must be fitted at each side of
the vehicle according to Drawings 253-8, 253-9, 253-10 and 253-
11 (Drawings 253-9, 253-10 and 253-11 for cars homologated as
from 01/01/2007).
They may be removable.
The side protection must be as high as possible, but its upper
attachment point must not be higher than half the height of the
door opening measured from its base.
If these upper attachment points are located in front of or behind
the door opening, this height limitation is also valid for the
corresponding intersection of the strut and the door opening.
In the case of doorbars in the form of an "X" (Drawing 253-9), it is
recommended that the lower attachment points of the cross-struts
be fixed directly onto the longitudinal member of the
bodyshell/chassis and that at least one part of the "X" be a singlepiece
bar.
The connection of the doorbars to the windscreen pillar
reinforcement (Drawing 253-15) is authorised.
For competitions without co-driver, members may be fitted on the
driver's side only.

I went through our CCR's and you are correct, never knew side impact bars could be removable. Thought they had to be fixed.
Thanks for the correction...
I am going to look into putting in a full cage in my car with removable door bars now to make it easier to drive on the street, which was the only reason I haven't done it yet.

As stated in NASA's CCR's
15.6 Roll Cage
15.6.1 Purpose
The basic purpose of the roll cage is to protect the occupant in case of a rollover or a collision. It should be able to withstand the weight of the car landing on the roof. These rules apply to all classes, unless otherwise superseded by the class rules. Vehicles homologated by, or built to the specifications of, FIA Group N, FIA Group C, JAF, SCCA, IMSA, and Grand AM must conform to these rules, or may conform to their respective current class rules for roll cage requirements for guest groups and special events. Any vehicle that does not conform to the NASA cage rules, yet conforms to cage rules of another recognized sanctioning body (SCCA, IMSA, Grand Am, etc.), that wishes compete in NASA events on a regular basis, should be ordered to make modifications within a time frame specified by the Race Director and approved by the Regional Director. Note- It is the responsibility of the driver to furnish a copy of any non-NASA rules applicable to his/her vehicle.

15.6.3 Installation
The cage may be removable or may be permanently welded, or any combination

thereof, providing that all aspects of the cage meet these rules.
15.6.12 Door Bars / Side Impact Protection
At least two (2) door bars on the driver side and one (1) door bar on the passenger side are required in all vehicles. Note- an “X” design counts as two bars.
Unless superseded by class rules, modifications to any non-chassis structure (such as door panels, inner door sheet metal, windows, door internals, etc.) may be made to accommodate any allowed door bar configuration. However, removal of material and / or modifications is limited to 1) the least amount to accommodate the door bar(s), and 2) can serve no other function. Holes in the door jam (B-pillar) may be permitted to accommodate door bars; however the structure should not be “notched” so as to weaken it.

Don't know for US norms. But, for example, FIA homologation is not a matter of bolt vs weld as lots of FIA approved cages have bolted points. Now if you are able by looking to a picture that a crapy welded side bar will be safer than my bolted one, I thank you for advice. I prefer to rely on the experience of someone making FIA approved cages for years. Anyway, I ask this cage to do the job hopping it will never have to.

Anyway, for sure multiple side / roof / rear bars that are welded are a plus and I am sure that some championships impose a number of them. But a roll cage can be upgraded with more (non)removable bars if needed. I think it is important to start with something in relation with your needs following the FIA (and "state of the art") rules and that leaves room to further improvements if needed.

Note that some of these rules (as : "It should be able to withstand the weight of the car landing on the roof") rely on the "good sense" when manufacturing the cage as there are no crash tests on every cage of every car model to get the FIA (for example) approval.

Back