• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Run In's with Evo's and WRX's

If the "young kids" ask you to race, the best reply is: "nah, I don't feel like wasting my gas on those type of cars" and give them a smirk.

minsbang said:
If the "young kids" ask you to race, the best reply is: "nah, I don't feel like wasting my gas on those type of cars" and give them a smirk.

Fact is that arrogance will not win you a race, nor their respect. For me, giving them the thumbs up with a smile while remaining firm not to race on the street has always gone way longer than an illegal 1/4 mile race. In 99% the other party is displaying their RESPECT for your ride and wise decision. For the remaining 1% that is insisting, just inviting them to the local road course track makes them realize that there is much more to it than plain red-light racing. Then they suddenly realize they never been on a "real" track before and/or that they don't have the $$$ to do so. Having them retract their own offer to race you is how RESPECT is expressed in this case... ;)

c-dog said:
I live in So. Cal. and every time I tool around in my 93 NSX, young kids driving their Evo's or WRX's come along side my car and challenge me. My car is only equipped with a Tubi exhaust, so I know they would probably outrun me. I am not crazy enough to race anyone under most circumstances, but I'm otherwise very competitive and hate it when they shake their head and drive off when I decline to race. How have some of you reacted to these situations?

Easy.... I sold my 91 NSX and bought a 2005 C6 Corvette.
:D :D :D

I just raced a modified Evo 8 this weekend. It was on an empty airport runway - completely open. We were there for a video shoot.

We went from a rolling start with the EVO going first and me reacting to him flooring it. My NSX took a second to wind up since I was caught off guard. I just floored it at 3000RPM in first gear. I made up the 1 car length difference by the end of the 2nd gear even though I hit the rev limiter. I walked past him briskly in third gear.

I have a 92 with ~270whp and Type R gears (but with 19's). His EVO 8 has an intake, downpipe, and exhaust and puts out ~270whp as well. I had a passenger, he didn't. I'm due for some tuning and am hoping for 285+ whp. The EVO 8 is due for a new turbo upgrade and more boost. He will probably romp on me after that.

The other race was against Gallardo - he let me go first, went into the wrong gear, short shifted.. and still caught me fairly quickly.

I've had one encounter with an STi. I was driving through downtown Davis and there was some college kid in his brand new STi that kept following me, revving up his engine. I just looked over and smiled. He must have followed me for almost 2 miles. I finally reached the freeway onramp and suddenly he floors it and cuts in front of me. Now that really ticked me off so I noticed that he floors it again on the onramp so I also floor it and I am right on his bumper. We hit the open straightaway in 2nd gear and I easily begin pulling on him. I shift to 3rd and pass him in the fast lane. By the time I shift to 4th he is at least5-6 cars back. The funny thing is that my wife who can't stand the whole import street racing scene was so happy that I kicked a$$ and as we passed the STi she waved bye-bye to them. I thought that was the funniest thing. Anyway, I tried to be good but when he cut me off that was the last straw.

I didn't think that I would pull on the STi that hard (especially with the Targa top off, but I hear STi's have a lot of drivetrain loss. My '95 has Comptech I/H/E, Flywheel, 4.55 R&P.

The first day I had my car a guy in a Mustang wanted to race, reving his motor.
Last Sunday a Trans Am was following me on the 210 Westbound and wanted to race, reving his motor and taking off fast in the diamond lane. Well first of all I don't race anyone, second, there were cars in front of me, so even if I wanted to there was no room. Not sure what he was trying to prove, maybe that he had a smaller pecker than me ? It sure did show that day. Funny afterwords that we both got off at the same offramp, turned on the same street South (Hill Ave) and then turned on Colorado Blvd. Seems that Mustangs are the cars always trying to get my attention to race.

After I dumped my ducati at 100 racing on a country road (hit some gravel);spent 3.5 weeks in a coma; broke every rib in my body front and back; contused my heart so bad the right ventricle stopped working and went code blue twice (not a complete list but you get the picture) there will be no more screwing around on the street for me.....two wheels or four. Think of all a that can go wrong. :eek:

KSNSX said:
After I dumped my ducati at 100 racing on a country road (hit some gravel);spent 3.5 weeks in a coma; broke every rib in my body front and back; contused my heart so bad the right ventricle stopped working and went code blue twice (not a complete list but you get the picture) there will be no more screwing around on the street for me.....two wheels or four. Think of all a that can go wrong. :eek:

This is the best advice I've heard. There is too much at risk. I enjoyed cruising and getting the compliments with the NSX. Doing 100 on a 35 is just insane, endangering everyone. The son of the billionaire CEO from Dole was killed over the weekend in his Ferrari. He flew off the freeway ramp at high speed. He was only 37. What a lost.......

Let me tell you how much fun it is to learn how to walk again; rehap lungs (I puctured one and collapsed the other, had two chest tubes and was on a respirator for 27 days) that shrank to the size of a baseball; go thru morphine withdrawels; have screws in your arm and hand removed from an external fixator with a freakin' Mikita cordless drill with no pain medicine; rehabing a hand and a rotator cuff.......do I need to go on? Don't race on the street.

NetViper said:
The NSX is probably an easier car to drive fast than either EVO or WRX. So I guess I would agree.

I'm not quite sure the NSX is easier to drive fast than either EVO or WRX :confused: I know however that any mid engine car (NSX included) will bite you in the a$$ if not carefully driven at its limits. My initial comment was more w/ regards driver's skills and where those drivers spend most of their time practicing. I would think the odds for encountering an EVO or WRX driver with road course track experience are very small, autocross and drag-racing being the majority of what these folks practice on from what I've seen. On the other hand, for an NSX driver, the odds are probably equally distributed between road course, autoX and drag-racing. Reason being cost, a huge ponderation factor in my opinion since HPDE cost $$$ and most WRX and EVO owners are younger folks spending every dime they make into their car to make it faster off the line (well I know a few NSX'ers doing just that too :D) ...

NSXWIND said:
Let it go, as you stated in your thread they are "young kid". You have everything to lose, but nothing to gain at the end of the race.

10 out of 9 times, I would just let it go, but I lose my cool sometimes (very rare) :D
I didn't even know those kinds of odds were possible! :p

by no means do i condone street racing, but i'm sure we are all guilty of 'opening' it up on some open roads. one instance did involve a WRX-STi on a vast open freeway in Mass. i had a passenger (a heavy one to boot - 225-230lbs) and he still couldn't catch me.

I've got only one friend with a STi and we had a blast last Sunday on the track. My last event was at Talladega Grand Prix Race Track. We actually ran in the rain for a few hours in the morning and he was getting close to me in the corners, but I pulled away in the straights :D When the sun finally came out it was over for the STi! Knowing a half dozen EVO's owners I've had my fun playing with them too. You can't beat a night at the 1/4 mile track for $10 and get 12 runs. The fastest EVO out of all of them with LOTS of mods is pretty fast! We are pretty much even through the 1/8 and then I pull away shifting into third. I have noticed that in both the STi and EVO's. The AWD is great for wet corners and off the line launching, but if it's dry and I don't spin...BYE BYE ;)

Trkpic1.jpg

Back