• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S2000 or MR2 Spyder

Joined
27 August 2003
Messages
1,130
Location
Loma Linda, CA
I want to get a new daily driver, but don't know whether I should get the S2000 or a MR2 Spyder. I've driven both, and they each have their pros and cons. Which would you guys choose as your daily ride? Thanks :smile:
 
s2k
*it's a Honda
*looks better
*best of all 9k rpm :biggrin:

Good luck!
 
amgnsx said:
s2k
*it's a Honda
*looks better
*best of all 9k rpm :biggrin:

Good luck!

Plus, S2K 240HP vs MR2 138HP :smile:
 
I looked at both, and ended up going with the MR2 for a few reasons. #1 was cost when new, the markup on the S2000 was stupid, and with all the options I was looking for it was over $40k if memory serves.

I drove both, and preferred the MR2 powerband to the S2k. More low-end grunt in the MR2, didn't have to rev it as much for the power. S2k definately makes more once the revs come up, but didn't feel THAT much faster then the MR2.

Handling on both felt about even, with maybe the MR2 turning a little quicker.

The power top on the S2k was nice, but I like being able to drop it while the car is in motion, which it won't let you (minor complaint).

Practicality wise, remember the MR2 has about no trunk space (1.8 cubic feet) so if you want to haul much of anything, it may not be the car for you :)

Performance upgrades wise, the S2k wins as well. There isn't much that can be done cheaply on the MR2.

I've been loving mine. 18000 miles, NO problems, nothing but fun. I prefer its looks too. Sort of an Audi TT / Porsche love child look to it ;)

MR2Spyder.jpg


2004 with leather interior, all the random optional stuff, LSD, 5 speed, hard top.
 
We got an S2K and love it. I have not driven the MRS but I would like to give my opinion anyway.

I have never been a huge fan the of new MRS bodystyle. It is OK to me, did not hate it like the Pontiac Aztec, but I think the S2K looks far and away better.

Modifications (in the go fast dept) on the S2k may be wide but almost nothing makes power. Unless you go supercharger, the car is set from the factory. The standard Intake/Headers/Exhuast *may* gain you 7HP at the wheels and you will spend $2-3000 getting there. Not worth it IMHO from a pure power/per/HP standpoint. If you like to tinker there are lots of parts to choose from, but mother Honda did a bang up job from the factory. Better than the NSX IMHO.

Working on the car is awesome. Very easy. As others have said

The community @ S2ki.com is great. If you like the NSX crowd, you will likely enjoy the forums over there. There is of course the standard loud mouth kid, but for the most part they are well spoken, intelegent, and courtious people over there. Sounds strange but the community makes the car more fun.

There is more space to put things. You can do a weekend trip in the S2k. Based on what I have seen and read, the MRS would be a good day trip car (as long as you don't plan on buying allot), but not a great 3 day weekend car.

I think the MRS has the S2k in a few departments though. The S2k gets about 21MPG, and that is when you don't get on it! I am willing to bet that the MRS gets in the 30's with such a light body and relatively low power. Main wear items will be cheaper (stock to stock). A lighter car like the MRS will be easier on tires, brakes, suspension, and any other part connected to the wheels. 2000-2003 S2k come with 16" tires, the MRS comes with 15/16" tires which should translate into cheaper running costs.

Honestly, the S2k is a small car, I could not imagine going any smaller. The MRS is 2" shorter in nearly every dimension (almost 10" shorter in overall length) and has 1.5cubic feet of storage compared to a relatively large 5 cu.ft in the S2k.

Our money went to the S2k. HTH

Jeff
 
I think the MR2 looks lots better than the S2000. It's a damn shame Toyota doesn't make a turbo/blown version like they did on the previous generations.
 
Lol, then I probably need LOTS of meds, I traded my NSX in for one :eek:

I believe one of the Scion's is supercharged and has the same motor as the MR2. If they'd just combine the two, it would be a VERY sweet car.

Also regarding the Spyder, you can get them with an SMT transmission (a la Enzo, etc) and I believe there is a 6 speed available as well. Mulled the SMT over, but decided not having a clutch pedal would drive me nuts, as cool as paddle shifting a car would be :)
 
Why no Celica GT-S engine?

bodypainter said:
It's a damn shame Toyota doesn't make a turbo/blown version like they did on the previous generations.
Or even the 180 HP engine from the Celica GT-S. A 190 HP version of the same engine is what’s in the US Lotus Elise. The MR2 Spyder is only about 200 heavier than the Elise, I would think with the same engine, performance would be pretty impressive. So, yes: Too bad the MR2 is only available with the base Celica GT engine.

It is available with a 6-speed sequential manual, however. Seems pretty slick, although I’ve heard the standard conventional 5-speed manual offers better performance.

Seems like a fun car for the money. The S2000 is a better match for me, though.
 
Thanks for all of your replies :smile: It's a tough decision for me to make. I really like the MR2 Spyder because it feels more nimble (significantly lighter and smaller than the S2000) and gets better gas mileage using regular 87 octane. I also like the fact that despite being a smaller car than the S2000, the Spyder has a larger interior. It's pretty disappointing that the S2000 is smaller inside than both the Miata and the MR2 Spyder even though it's a larger car. Down low, the S2000 and Spyder feel pretty similar powerwise, but in VTEC the S2000 is a completely different machine. In terms of quality, I feel that the S2000 is better put together. I really like both cars for what they are. I just wish Toyota offered the Spyder with the GT-S engine and a trunk :frown:
 
Psychobiology said:
Thanks for all of your replies :smile: It's a tough decision for me to make. I really like the MR2 Spyder because it feels more nimble (significantly lighter and smaller than the S2000) and gets better gas mileage using regular 87 octane. I also like the fact that despite being a smaller car than the S2000, the Spyder has a larger interior. It's pretty disappointing that the S2000 is smaller inside than both the Miata and the MR2 Spyder even though it's a larger car. Down low, the S2000 and Spyder feel pretty similar powerwise, but in VTEC the S2000 is a completely different machine. In terms of quality, I feel that the S2000 is better put together. I really like both cars for what they are. I just wish Toyota offered the Spyder with the GT-S engine and a trunk :frown:

I am freaking confused. Why get an MR2?? S2k is a work of art. the MR2 is....ehh. I have driven both, and the S2k is so much cooler.

Now if the rationale is to save cash, that is one thing. But any other comparison is just unacceptable...

Jack
 
Psychobiology said:
It's pretty disappointing that the S2000 is smaller inside than both the Miata and the MR2 Spyder even though it's a larger car.

Hmmm. I have significantly more room in an S2000 than I do in a Spyder. And I can barely fit into a Miata. I don't know, maybe the seat wasn't adjusted very well in the S2000 you drove. I can't think of any other reason an S2000 would seem to have less room than an MR-2 or Miata.
 
Interior room was about the same if I remember right, maybe just a little less leg room in the S2k. Seat adjustment get missed?

I don't think you can go wrong with either, both are nice cars. For me, the $12k price difference on the S2k just wasn't worth being about a second quicker to sixty or in the quarter since I go for handling anyway.

I will admit that the white S2k with the hard top I looked at was veeeeery tempting! :wink:
 
Honda is offering an insane lease deal on 2005 S2000s through the end of June.

$365/month lease with $0 down. 36 mos/36k miles. $349 at signing. It is also offered as $299/month w/$2500 down.
 
Re: Why no Celica GT-S engine?

Ojas said:
Or even the 180 HP engine from the Celica GT-S. A 190 HP version of the same engine is what’s in the US Lotus Elise. The MR2 Spyder is only about 200 heavier than the Elise, I would think with the same engine, performance would be pretty impressive. So, yes: Too bad the MR2 is only available with the base Celica GT engine.

It is available with a 6-speed sequential manual, however. Seems pretty slick, although I’ve heard the standard conventional 5-speed manual offers better performance.

.

You forgot to mention that the GT-S motors have a high tendancy to go KABOOOMMMM :biggrin: when redlined.
 
Re: Why no Celica GT-S engine?

NsSeX said:
You forgot to mention that the GT-S motors have a high tendancy to go KABOOOMMMM :biggrin: when redlined.
Really? Do you mean when over-revved (from a missed shift) or when redlined normally? It must be especially difficult to keep the engine from exploding in an Elise since no redline is indicated on the tach. :)
 
mdb said:
Lol, then I probably need LOTS of meds, I traded my NSX in for one :eek:

You did WHAT????? :confused:

Don't worry, there will be some very nice gentlemen comming around shortly with your new jacket... It's complimentary and even though it's sleeves are in the back I think you will find it a PERFECT fit! :biggrin:
 
IMO I don't like MRS styling. Big bug eyes headlamps and squarish body. S2000 is better looking than MRS.
 
AU_NSX said:
You did WHAT????? :confused:

Don't worry, there will be some very nice gentlemen comming around shortly with your new jacket... It's complimentary and even though it's sleeves are in the back I think you will find it a PERFECT fit! :biggrin:

Yes, he does need medications. However, I'm thinking alcohol and high dosage sleeping pills had something to do with his trade in the first place.
 
Psychobiology said:
I want to get a new daily driver, but don't know whether I should get the S2000 or a MR2 Spyder. I've driven both, and they each have their pros and cons. Which would you guys choose as your daily ride? Thanks :smile:

It depends whether your male or female! :tongue: LOL
 
Back
Top