• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

s2k vs. NSX

New guy here: Have a S2000 (2nd one) and love it. But, am looking for a NSX to compliment, and plan to own both. Selling a pristine 74 Porsche 914 to make room for the new NSX, and can't wait to experience the NSX. After far too many years messing around with Italian, British and German sports cars, I know there is nothing better than the Acura / Honda experience. Wish me luck in my hunt for the NSX! Jay :smile:

P.S. there is a nice white CR on s2ki right now, think he's asking 27k?

thanks I saw it and already spoke to that owner - his white CR does not have A/C or radio and I need those :(

rick

I'm glad I don't have to pick just one. I use them like tools: '08 RAV4, '05 S2000, '05 NSX.

IMG_661512-15-09Blues.jpg

IMG_2932Hondarears.jpg

IMG_4362PK_NSX7_29_09.jpg

^Oh, and the NSX can be a girly car. :rolleyes:

I'm glad I don't have to pick just one. I use them like tools: '08 RAV4, '05 S2000, '05 NSX.

IMG_2932Hondarears.jpg

^Oh, and the NSX can be a girly car. :rolleyes:

Sometimes it is simply hard to choose what to drive.

1_4_Warn.5.jpg

If the day is great, we actually will drive to the same place in both cars.

Sometimes it is simply hard to choose what to drive.

If the day is great, we actually will drive to the same place in both cars.
^So, do you have a wife and you each drive one to the destination? Who drives which car? Do you trade off?

My boyfriend has an '06 New Formula Red S2000 and we've both driven our S2000s on two trips to Colorado from southern California. Some people think we're crazy but we both like to drive.

DSC_1062550road.jpg

^This was in September 2008 between Silverton and Ouray, Colorado. I took the photo from my S2000, of my boyfriend in his red S, a a friend of ours, from Texas, in his yellow, S.

DSC_1080ColoradoS2000s.jpg

^This was September 2008. We hit the best Aspen time, spot on.

IMG_5384WolfCreekS2000s.jpg

^This was at Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado this October 2009. The Aspen show wasn't too great due to early snow and wind.

I was about to give my $0.02 to help out the OP with their decision to buy then I saw this in reference to asking this same question on prime. Sometimes it's just not worth it...

[S2ki]I would, but then they would say something douchy, and I'd have to go to their meet one day and straighten some fool up. Really rather not.[/S2ki]

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=752394&st=100&#entry17759776
^A similar type of question is going on in the Southern California forum on S2ki.com.

I was about to give my $0.02 to help out the OP with their decision to buy then I saw this in reference to asking this same question on prime. Sometimes it's just not worth it...

[S2ki]I would, but then they would say something douchy, and I'd have to go to their meet one day and straighten some fool up. Really rather not.[/S2ki]
^Yeah, I saw that and cringed.
Fantastic photo. wow
^I used a little Photoshop on my original. :smile: There's a filter that posterizes and I played with it. I used to think Photoshop was cheating but now I always touch up my stuff.

My wife and I would take both out just for the fun of it as well.

Here a pic at a drag meet for charity, I think I smoke her... :tongue:

DSC06432.jpg

DSC06156.jpg

DSC06419.jpg

DSC06132.jpg

So, do you have a wife and you each drive one to the destination? Who drives which car? Do you trade off?

No, she doesn't let me drive the S2000 unless it needs gas, cleaning or maintanence. :mad:
She really loves her car. Because the roof doesn't come off the NSX, she doesn't see the point.
And besides she can tear rubber right off a car. The NSX is hard enough on tires.

I MISS MY S2K

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5diwzSHzk7Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5diwzSHzk7Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

but is more really like a high school sweet heart, while the NSX is a WOMAN!

Oscar

Wow this thread is really blowing up with s2000/nsx owners! :biggrin:

Seems great minds think alike in terms of car choices...hehehe

There's a handful of about 4 Clublexus owners who share our love too with NSX/IS-F's in their garage including myself :cool: A few others chose to team up their IS-F with GTR's or Supras :wink:

Wow this thread is really blowing up with s2000/nsx owners! :biggrin:

Seems great minds think alike in terms of car choices...hehehe

There's a handful of about 4 Clublexus owners who share our love too with NSX/IS-F's in their garage including myself :cool: A few others chose to team up their IS-F with GTR's or Supras :wink:

That's funny because I traded my wife's S2k for an IS 350 and now I have her wanting a IS-F... :smile:

Its funny that you posted this thread on S2Ki as well. But I guess its good to hear both sides of the fence :)

My reply (Billj747 over there) from S2Ki:

Stock for stock, the S2000 is a faster track car. For slightly mod vs slightly mod, its still hard to be at a S2000 with coilovers and 255/255 tires. The NSX needs at least 235/275 width tires and coilovers -and very importantly: a baffled oil pan, to be competitive. Even so, it will take an LSD and the Japanese gear ratios to put it near par/eclipse the S2000 on shorter tracks.

<!--QuoteBegin-jemje2006+Dec 16 2009, 09:28 AM-->
<table width="95%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td>QUOTE (jemje2006 @ Dec 16 2009, 09:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->
a TB WP job $1400 is not A LITTLE MORE than s2000 when labor cost $700.......... and a clutch $2200 is not A LITTLE MORE than s2000. $85000+ is not A LITTLE MORE than $34000. maintenance will not be A LITTLE MORE.

those 20 yr old ass brakes are the worst part on a $80000+ supercar.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></tbody></table><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You only have to do the Timing Belt and Water Pump once every 60-80K miles. When you put that (and similar scheduling for the clutch) into perspective, its not that bad. In Vegas, we charge $1,200 for the TB/WP replacement. If that is a hard bullet to bite, then Porsche labor and parts will be far worse.

The NSX is a great car. I picked mine up for ~20K with 100K+ miles on it. The chassis was perfect, interior in GREAT condition, and if the car has a decent service record and regular oil changes, they can be tracked heavily with 178K miles on it like my friends car and have no problems. Of course if you can find a car that recently had a clutch job, TB/WP, then you saved a lot of money there. You can find clean cars for $20-25K with ~100K miles if you look hard enough.

Overall, the parts cost isn't that bad, especially quality aftermarket parts. Yes the car is 20 years old, but the chassis is very rigid (no creaks or rattles - except for the 95-96 year models which were T-tops that werent reinforced), and without sounding cliche, it is a honda.

The Cayman S is a great car and can be had for ~30K even. Its a quality car, fun to drive, but parts and labor are pretty bad.

I love how the thread over there is boosted s2k or slow na1 :rolleyes:....anyways I like both cars, its disappointing that the some of the kids over there talk a bunch of nonsense on that forum.

To the OP once you get in one you won't be looking back. I do agree that a stock NSX will need improvements to make it more alive, but once you get it there like Billy said the fun just begins. Good luck on your search and enjoy when you get it.

Billy maybe you need to link a couple of posts in s2ki like FXMD NSX smashing every track record in the US....enuff said..:cool:

Billy maybe you need to link a couple of posts in s2ki like FXMD NSX smashing every track record in the US....enuff said..:cool:
-Like that one post (cant remember where) here on prime saying that there will never be an NSX that can beat the CWest S2000s laptime at Buttonwillow? :confused:

BTW: I'm "Billj747" over there. I post more over there than I do here, since there are a lot more people who track there S2000s than NSXs.

-Like that one post (cant remember where) here on prime saying that there will never be an NSX that can beat the CWest S2000s laptime at Buttonwillow? :confused:

BTW: I'm "Billj747" over there. I post more over there than I do here, since there are a lot more people who track there S2000s than NSXs.

Im ediddy310 over there, i don't post as much as I did before. btw what place did the cwests2000 take compared to your time....I am sure it would be nice to respond that whoever posted that an NSX would never beat that car.

Im ediddy310 over there, i don't post as much as I did before. btw what place did the cwests2000 take compared to your time....I am sure it would be nice to respond that whoever posted that an NSX would never beat that car.
I dont even remember where that thread was on prime...

FXMD: 1:45.247
C-West: 1:46.893

I did mention something on those lines on that thread though.

Billy

I've had my MR2 (on V710s & Konis) at an S2K club track day at little talledega. I was able to gain ground on everything that wasn't boosted, but that was probably 8 parts tires and 2 parts driver.

I haven't had my NSX on a track yet, but it definatley seems to gain speed in-gear measurably quicker than the MR2 (~80 extra hp will do that I guess), and while the long 2nd gear blows on an autocross course, I figured it wouldn't hurt all that bad on all but the very tightest road courses. My estimation has been that the NSX on some aggressive street tires would be easily quicker around a circuit than the MR2 on DOT slicks (and therefore, from my experience, your average amateur-driven S2K).

Is my butt dyno off, or how tight of a course are we talking about where an S2K is going to have an edge over an NA1? (drivers being equal). I've never driven button willow/willow springs/etc, so I don't really have a good frame of reference there.

Not too tight. Youtube in-car footage to find out.

S2000s are pretty darn quick and shouldn't be under estimated, especially cars with 255/255 street tires.

yeah, not planning on racing any for pinks, but I will at least watch my mirrors :).

I think the tire size arguement goes a long way. A stock AP1 has the same 205/225 split as an early NA1, so tires being equal you are down to weight, hp, an gearing.

Last edited:
I think it's nonsense for either type of car owner to defend itself against the other....

s2000 has it's good points, so does the NSX.

It's like the IS-F vs M3 debate on CL - it's like beating a deadhorse!

Most s2000 owners want an NSX anyways, they may not admit it but who cares, many of us NSX owners used to be s2000 owners and vice versa :tongue:

I'm a current owner of a MY00 S2000 however I pick up my '93 NSX on Tuesday. Black/black
Comptech USA Headers
RM Quad Tip Exhaust with DTM Tips
Gruppe M Carbon Fiber Air Intake with Custom Ducting to side vent
Three angle valve Job
Custom Heavy Duty Clutch with JUN lightweight Aluminum
JDM Honda Tinted Tail Lights with H logo
18 x8 and 18x10 SSR 3 piece Decolte Wheels

I have considerable amount of time behind the wheel of this particular car and I love it and have been chasing it for 7 years.

I love both cars for different reasons and each is good for what they are but, like many have said, apples to oranges. 2 different price points so 2 different types of cars with different markets.

I'm going to keep both

Here is a video of S2000s vs NSXs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1dt659oWqA

It's only beating a dead horse if you're debating with people purposely ignore the facts, and sure, there are a lot of them out there. Car talks are very subjective when we're talking about feelings and love. We cannot quantify nor measure our love for different cars, however, there are many facts that are measurable. For example, every single car magazine and every piece of data says M3 is a far better car than IS-F, but the IS-F owners will always come up with excuses like "once you turn off the DSC it will blah blah blah."

NSX is faster than S2000, stock to stock, but not by much. On the most famous Nurburgring, the NA2 NSX beat the AP1 S2000 by 1(one) second in best lap time. Would the NA2 beat the AP2? There is no official data for that, but it's doubtful. The Best Motoring video has shown modified S2000 are more than capable at taking down the modified NSX. There are two reasons: 1. S2000 is much lighter (2760 lbs vs 3100 lbs). 2. technology. "None of us has any electronics as old as a NSX. It's just so outdated." Keiichi said this in one of the NSX videos. I believe it was a praise, but it's also the ugly truth. I look around my house and found it absolutely true. Automobiles heavily rely on advance technologies, and today NSX has none.

It is what it is. But I dislike the trash talks from the S2k owners. Most of them bark at the NSX simply because they cannot afford one.

Back