• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Santa Barbara Fire

Well we are hanging in there during these trying times. We are in the voluntary evacuation area, but are determined to stay and get through all this. We live just below Parma Park that is above the City of Santa Barbara. As a Techie I have a weather station and one of the few Air Quality Meters in the County. Our air has been literally terrible at the Hazardous level outside (over 450 micrograms per cubic meter) for several days. Now we are in only unhealthy air quality (under 200). The real bummer has been not being able to go for our daily walks in the hills surrounding our home. So kind of house bound other than runs to the store for food and movies. Could be a lot worst as is the case for those who lost their homes in Ventura and other places. They have over 7000 fire fighters dealing with this blaze. Two DC10s plus countless other fixed wing aircraft fly during the day. Helicopters are flying throughout the night using night vision apparatus. I do miss not having my NSX but I am planning on getting back in the race at some point. If things get really difficult we will head out to Victoria's Parents home in Corona del mar. Best wishes to everyone. I was going to upload pictures but the system says I cannot. OH Well
Manny

Last edited:
i'm glad the air is improving. We've been housebound ourselves. We're about 2 blocks away from the voluntary evac zone. PM me your contact info and should you need help evacuating do give me a call. Hope you at least have the N95 masks they're giving away all over the county. This may go on for weeks so i'm considering getting a better mask setup from Amazon.

This is also another fire/heat map you might already be aware about.
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4....special_maps/disaster/USA_wildland_fire_3.txt

Let's hope the weather continues to cooperate. While we'd love some moisture i'd happily settle for the favorable wind conditions we seem to be getting.

I suggest the air matters app on iOS for tracking air quality. I use it everyday when I’m in china as the aqi over there is constantly bad in the winter. Gotta get some air filters and run them 24/7.

Here is an article that appeared in the LA Times:

This fire is a beast': Massive inferno keeps growing despite all-out battle

By Joseph Serna, Javier Panzar and Matt Hamilton

Dec 14, 2017 | 3:00 AM
| Santa Barbara

Firefighter Chris Black with the Sacramento Fire Department douses flames Tuesday in Toro Canyon in Carpinteria. (Al Seib / Los Angeles Times)

More than a week after the Thomas fire ignited in Ventura County, destroying hundreds of homes and displacing thousands as it grew into a massive inferno, firefighters are now in a race to protect the pristine coastal communities of neighboring Santa Barbara County before a shift in powerful winds forecast for this weekend.
Across the mountain ridges above Santa Barbara, Summerland and Montecito, firefighters Wednesday were building containment lines, clearing brush, digging breaks and setting small backfires to burn fuel, all in an effort to create barriers to stop the forward march of the fire.

Conditions so far this week have been favorable, allowing firefighters to attack the flames on the southwestern flank of the blaze as it moves west toward the Santa Ynez Mountains.
But the National Weather Service was forecasting sundowner winds blowing southeast at up to 35 mph Friday night, followed by Santa Ana winds Saturday that, at up to 45 mph, could steer the fire toward the southwest.
"When the wind starts pushing it, we can throw everything we have at it and it's not going to do any good," Mark Brown, an operations section chief for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, told Santa Barbara residents Wednesday night.

The stakes are high. If the fire moves into Santa Barbara and Montecito, nearly a quarter million residents and 62,000 structures worth $46 billion would be at risk.

A dozer from the Santa Barbara County Fire Department clears a fire break across a canyon from atop Camino Cielo down to Gibraltar to make a stand should the fire move in that direction. (Mike Eliason / Santa Barbara County Fire Department via AP )

“When the wind starts pushing it, we can throw everything we have at it and it’s not going to do any good."
Mark Brown, Cal Fire operations section chief

As firefighters well know, sundowner winds are notoriously unpredictable. The winds occur when hot air from the Santa Ynez Valley rises and swiftly pours over the mountain passes toward the Pacific Ocean, as if a person pressed a thumb over the end of a hose.
"It creates very erratic wind conditions, which are very difficult to predict and very difficult to fight fire in," said Capt. Brendan Ripley, a fire behavior analyst with the Ventura County Fire Department. "It moves fire in different directions. It changes throughout the day."
If crews can't finish the containment line across a roughly six-mile stretch in the mountains fast enough to stop the fire's march west, firefighters may have to burn the fuel themselves — a risky proposition and a scary sight for residents.
"It's a proactive approach to fight the fire on our terms instead of on Mother Nature's terms," Brown said. "It's well-coordinated if we do it. We've had numerous subject-matter experts put the plan together. It's been vetted at all levels. All the local authorities have looked at it and approved it."
Fire officials stressed that this plan would be used only if the weekend wind events occur as predicted and if crews can't make a stand and fight the fire directly. The controlled blaze would burn up to 4,000 acres and be started when winds are favorable for firefighters.

Meanwhile, firefighters hoped to slow the blaze by building breaks into areas with less vegetation because those areas burned in the last decade, said Chris Childers, a battalion chief with the Santa Barbara County Fire Department.
About 600 fire engines are jammed into the narrow, winding roads in the Santa Barbara County foothills. Trucks are spraying retardant on grassy hillsides and firefighters are wrapping small, indefensible buildings in protective metallic sheeting that looks like tinfoil to reduce the chances they ignite.
As smoke cleared and visibility improved, a conga line of low-flying helicopters started arriving at a county park in Santa Barbara off Highway 154 to pick up fire retardant. Officials said 33 helicopters and eight airplanes were dropping water and retardant on the blaze.
As of Wednesday night, the Thomas fire had burned more than 238,000 acres and was 30% contained. It has destroyed more than 900 homes in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties since it began Dec. 4 near Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula. In its first day, the fire spread southwest, toward Ventura, and northwest, eventually hugging Ojai before pushing to the Central Coast.
With containment lines now protecting Ventura and Santa Paula, firefighters there have been on a "seek and destroy" mission for any lingering hot spots that could threaten avocado groves, fire officials said Wednesday.
"This fire is a beast and you're gonna kill it," Martin Johnson, Santa Barbara County fire division chief, told fire crews at a morning briefing. "I have no doubt."
Authorities said it will probably take months for fire officials to determine the cause of the Thomas fire.

Care to share which website you're using to track the air quality? I'm only aware of this one https://www.ourair.org/todays-air-quality/

Edit: Perhaps this is your own air quality measurement device you spoke about earlier.

Yes, I added my own meter. It is a double chamber that uses lasers and then compares the results before reporting out. It is kind of cool. If you make the map smaller you will see that there are three other similar devices going to the outskirts of Santa Barbara County. This is a link https://www.purpleair.com/map?&zoom....012475965829715107&lngr=0.025148391723632812

i'm glad the air is improving. We've been housebound ourselves. We're about 2 blocks away from the voluntary evac zone. PM me your contact info and should you need help evacuating do give me a call. Hope you at least have the N95 masks they're giving away all over the county. This may go on for weeks so i'm considering getting a better mask setup from Amazon.

This is also another fire/heat map you might already be aware about.
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4....special_maps/disaster/USA_wildland_fire_3.txt

Let's hope the weather continues to cooperate. While we'd love some moisture i'd happily settle for the favorable wind conditions we seem to be getting.

That is a great map. I have been using this one: https://firemap.sdsc.edu/

Thank you for all your well wishes. We are concerned about the upcoming Sundowner Winds projected for Friday and Saturday. We heard last night that the Fire Fighters are preparing for Plane C. They will aggressively start fires below the ridge where the fire is moving across Camino Cielo. They said that they would use the previous burn area (TEA Fire) to try and burn vegetation before the big fire can work its way down the canyon towards us. The scary thing is that will bring the fire down to where the homes are. Should something go wrong, the fire would just run right through the neighborhoods. We moved here last year and bought a brand new home built in 2015 that was a replacement home for the TEA Fire. So how ironic would that be to have it go up again.... Anyway this time around the newer houses have been built to high fire standards. Our house is a craftsman style home that uses all Hardie Board siding. Even the deck is hardie board. Of course in a wind blown fire all that would probably be turned in to concrete dust. Even our garage door is made using 2 1/2 inch think wood that meets fire standards

Wow that is a great picture. Looks like Armageddon. You mentioned that you are in the voluntary evacuation area. Where about?
Manny

It is Saturday morning around 1:43 am. Way past my bedtime. The winds are supposed to kick up anytime now. If they are intense then they may not be able to hold the line. The fire would then travel down the slops to where we are. We have a fire truck and support vehicle parked in front of our house on the downhill side. I bought them some coffee last night and gave them some chocolate. So now it is a waiting game. If things go south then we will be required to evacuate. The winds are projected to be the heaviest during Saturday day dying down on Sunday.

Manny

Well the worst is happening. At 2 am things were quiet. Then around 5:30 am the wind started picking up. Now it is going pretty strong. As I am typing I am measuring wind at up to 20 miles per hour. The fire has come down the mountains towards Montecito. If the winds change the fire will get us in about 5 minutes. We are packing two cars and waiting to see what happens. It is really challenging.

We are now in the mandatory evacuation area. We are reluctant to leave, because once we leave we may not be able to return. The winds got going really hard over 50 mph. Now it has slowed down to about 5 to 10 mph. The air right where we are is actually really good. My air quality meter is finally showing the air to be just unhealthy at 160 micro grams per cubic meter. If we can get through this afternoon 3 or 4 pm that may be the worst of the wind.

Neat home! When it's time for a new roof, something to consider is a metal one... should help with future fire issues.

When I was in FL last week, a lot of homes were having the roofs replaced with metal ones. I like ours after three years. Rated to 155 MPH winds (if the rest of the home remains) and fireproof.

Those pictures are unreal. Hope the weather cooperates and the courageous men and women can get it under control.

A number of homes have metal roofs. Ours is fire rated but can still burn in the right circumstances.

Yesterday we got the news that we could finally go home. So excited. Thanks to everyone and their good wishes
manny

Back