• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Saw some tourist today...

Had my car parked in a lot and was walking toward it when I notice a man and his 16 or 17 year old kid standing close to it. When I approached, they realized it was my car and the father said, he just want to take a picture of his son next to the car to show the people "back home."

I said, "Why don't you also take some pictures of him sitting in the car." I opened the door, the kid went nuts, got in, had several photos with this HUGE smile.

Good day for all of us...

That's what it's all about.

<B>Dtrigg</B> : It's a simple event like this that will cause that kid to dream about owning an exotic (perhaps even an NSX!!!) some day.

I've never forgotten the day i walked past a garage housing an NSX.... i spoke to the owner and he talked back to me, then he even let me touch the wing!!! *tears* It was true love at first sight...........*sob*sob*sob*

...you did tell him it was an Acura/Honda NSX, didn't you??? :rolleyes:

Kind of reminded me of a story quite the opposite to this one:

I walked up to a parked nice silver 1998 F355 Spider with F1 paddleshift, and I said to the owner (sitting there in his suit and tie): "Nice car! are you happy with it?"

He's reply, with a huge 'I'm an asshole with too much money' grin:

"Yes, this is the closest thing to an Formula 1 car that you can drive on the street. And it has the same gearbox as Michael Schumacher uses." And without me asking he added:
"If you throw 120 000 dollars on the table you can buy this bad boy"

LOL, you had to be there to see it, but he was such an idiot I didn't even bother to reply. Just said "ok" and left him alone.

BITeR said:

I walked up to a parked nice silver 1998 F355 Spider with F1 paddleshift, and I said to the owner (sitting there in his suit and tie): "Nice car! are you happy with it?"

"Yes, this is the closest thing to an Formula 1 car that you can drive on the street. And it has the same gearbox as Michael Schumacher uses." And without me asking he added:

LOL, you had to be there to see it, but he was such an idiot I didn't even bother to reply. Just said "ok" and left him alone.

You shoulda said "man, you're right, this looks just like one of the nascar's... you're kinda like jeff gordon huh?"

BITeR said:

i find most ferrari owners to be quite pompous like that. i recall seeing a 350 spyder recently, i gave the driver a thumbs up, and he fingers me then blasts off... :rolleyes: after that i decided i didn't want to own a prancing horse anymore

Soichiro said:
Same thing happened to me in 1967 with the Lamborghini Miura. Set me off for life.

Same thing with me in with a Ferrari 308 (red/tan).

I was attending a wedding reception this weekend when I went out to my car to fetch a jacket for my wife. I noticed a guy out there already by my car taking pictures. When I approached, I then noticed that he had one of those disposable cameras. He told me that he got the camera at his table which was supposed to be used for taking pictures of wedding stuff. Too funny. I know my wife would be too happy developing those and finding pictures of a car they didn't know.

Another guy came up to me later and said "Nice vette".:rolleyes:...that really drives me crazy. It made me want to look over at his wife and say, "Nice Dog".:p

jlindy said:
It made me want to look over at his wife and say, "Nice Dog".:p

Ouch.. :D

Well, not ALL Ferrari owners are jerks.
One time when I was driving through Huntington Beach, a black 355 spyder was approaching me from the other direction. He saw me and I saw him. Before I could say anything he gave me TWO thumbs up and a "nice car" comment. I did the same.

Anyways, stories like this are really cool. Why is that NSX owners are humble enough to do this for admirers and other exotic owners are such arrogant jerks? I did the same thing with 3 older gentlemen and I bet that really made their day.

I think it's because we really appreciate what we have and never take advantage of the fact that we were once admirers ourselves.

I ran into a Ferrari owner the other day at the gas station. It was a beautiful green/tan 355 Spyder. I went over to him and mentioned that I was considering buying a 355 and wanted his opinion of the car in general. He told me that he also had a 360 and that the 360 was much better than the 355. He spent a lot of time talking about both his 355 and 360. He then asked if that was my NSX on the next island, and I said that it was. He then proceeded to tell me that he thought the NSX was one the best built cars ever made. He went on and on about what a great car it was...

As we know, there are jerks driving Ferraris, Fords, and anything else.

Doug

I think perhaps the NSX is the "thinking person's" car... hence, those who own them are a little more likely to share their appreciation for the machine; not having been swayed by a
name-plate, per say, but rather, by the virtues of a fine automobile.

BITeR said:
He's reply, with a huge 'I'm an asshole with too much money'

So am I, but I don't go around bragging about it.

Clearly the individual you are talking about here is compensating for something else. :D Perhaps if you had put something else on the table, you would have walked away as the badder boy. :D

smonop said:
I think perhaps the NSX is the "thinking person's" car... hence, those who own them are a little more likely to share their appreciation for the machine; not having been swayed by a
name-plate, per say, but rather, by the virtues of a fine automobile.

This is exactly what I am and why I bought the NSX. How did you know?

Ferarri vs NSX

I once owned a Ferarri....found that most Ferarri owners are not "car guys". Mostly posers and new rich. The events I went to were centered on wine n cheese, not car stuff. Mostly social, along the lines of "what hotel do you recommend in Paris?" . You have a combination of 90% posers, 10% really wealthy folks, 100% really not into the cars but the social scene.
Think Rodeo or Palm Beach. Not my bag.

I once owned a Porsche as well, owners fell into 2 distinct camps:
the concours guys who trailered the cars to meets and pulled grass out of the tires with tweezers, and car guys who really were into racing and drove the cars. The concours guys were very enthusiastic about the marque and really knew the cars, but obsessive compulsive. Basically a great bunch, plus the poser factor was pretty low.

Now own an NSX- better car than both the Ferarri and Porsche all things considered. And without exception, every time I run into another NSXer at a gas station, etc, the talk is cars. Tend to be drivers, tend to know more about the cars than most marques. More my crowd.

Back