• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

say what?

so i'm at a light behind a truck with my friend in my yellow nsx with big wing w.w. kit dali 2 scoop hood etc. looking all fast when i look over and see this old guy in a red m coupe convertible i said to my friend them things are kinda cool. with that the old guy looked at me and said don't even try it buddy... huh say what? this thing will wax you he said i have 400 horse power!!! i was just shocked to hear that from him we never raced because traffic was thick but even though my nsx just has h/e it looks like its running 500 horse power and ready for the track...

p.s. he later got one it and misted a gear and i just know i would of left that thing sitting there.

[This message has been edited by smoore (edited 07 May 2002).]

I don't think there is any such thing as an "M Coupe Convertible". There is the "M Roadster", which has a 315 hp motor in the Z3 convertible body; the "M Coupe", which has a 315 hp motor in the coupe version of the Z3; and, of course, the M3 line. Either of these is about as fast as a stock 3.2-liter NSX-T.

Perhaps he had a Z8, which does indeed have 400 horsepower. And, even if his is stock, can probably beat you in a drag race.

M Roadster:

0124_main.gif

M Coupe:

0126_main.gif

Z8:

85360.jpg

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 07 May 2002).]

Originally posted by smoore:
with that the old guy looked at me and said don't even try it buddy...
He probably mistook you for a Camaro
biggrin.gif

Or maybe he dismisses most "showcar" type rides as poser cars. Sadly, a lot of them are.

I really liked BMW's before this:

It happened only a couple of weeks ago....
5 NSX's at least 10 years old each, going from Holland to the Sachsenring in Germany.
A 6th person came with us to Germany with his M coupe 3.2, only 2 years old....

At the legal speed (it is) of 150 Mph, the BMW driving straight in front of me exploded, leaving all his oil and coolant on my only 48 hours old paint..........

Anyway.... one picture says a thousand words....

PICT0058a.JPG

Originally posted by DutchBlackNsx:
the BMW driving straight in front of me exploded, leaving all his oil and coolant on my only 48 hours old paint..........

The E46 M3 engine has a tendency to do that. I just saw another one blow up this past weekend.

(You did mean that the engine exploded, and not the entire car... right?)
wink.gif

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
The E46 M3 engine has a tendency to do that. I just saw another one blow up this past weekend.

This was the E36 engine. The 'old' 3.2 long stroke.

(You did mean that the engine exploded, and not the entire car... right?)
wink.gif
Sorry, dutch expression for a major F-U
wink.gif

Dutchy

[This message has been edited by DutchBlackNsx (edited 07 May 2002).]

Originally posted by smoore:
[stuff deleted] ... this thing will wax you he said i have 400 horse power!!!

I don't know how credible this particular guy was, but it's easily possible. I'm in the process of doing such an upgrade to my Dinan (just got the car back with aftercooler installed a few minutes ago!) so I've been doing a lot of recent research. E36s and pre-2001 M-Roadster engines with SC and air-to-water aftercooler with 9-lb boost are running reliably at 320-345 RWHP, which when multiplied by 1/.85 (to account for drivetrain loss) would give 400 crank HP at the high end of the range. But if the guy can't shift, it doesn't really matter...

from what i saw this guys car is stock. the funny thing is this same guy tried to race me in the rain maybe 2 mounths ago it was raining really hard too. he's crazy in my eyes for driving wreckless in such hazardous conditions

i just think it was funny soem guy with a stock car would say something like that to my car that gets mistaken for a lambo....

Hey smoore,
I have raced my friend 99 M roadster several times. after the 3rd time racing he knows better. Now when people ask which is faster my 91 nsx (not stock) or the M roadster his response automatically is his nsx has upgrade. By the way it is 2 car length. Also hold it own too with the C5 vette with Intake/exhaust.
Dan
i/h/e, short gears, 4.23/lite flywheel, 17/18 wheels. Pretty much at the performance spec of 97+nsx.
Smoke him next time.

The '99 M Roadster (E36) has 240 hp and is no contest for a stock '91 NSX.

The 315 hp E46 M Roadster introduced a year or two ago is a lot more competitive.

stu, I think I ran into that wanker up on tampa road at a light on the way to my doctor visit and he jumped on it off the line and was a car lenght ahead looked around no cops no cars so said wtf and floored it.pulled on him steady banged third and pulled away and he gave me the finger.I think he was using hand signals to indicate his IQ
Dave
ps I leave for paris sat but will be back in a week.we really gotta hook up and go cruising with nsx heat from tampa

wanker ---dumb ass etc.

bad carma
my car goes in the shop on thursday at crown for some little things abs etc.
email me when back from France

p.s. mike said good things about you including he thinks ya crazy of some sort but in a good way :)

Originally posted by Number9:
What's a "wanker?" Is that UK English slang for a putz?

More or less... it actually refers to a solitary activity...

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

The '99 M Roadster (E36) has 240 hp and is no contest for a stock '91 NSX.

The 315 hp E46 M Roadster introduced a year or two ago is a lot more competitive.

The european E36, 3.2 has 315HP (the engine is different from the US version). The (euro) E46 has 340HP.

(that damn euro-us thing...
wink.gif
)

Dutchy

Mr. DutchBlackNSX

Read your car got sprayed with 2nd-hand BMW-oil on your trip to Germany. Since I know your car just got a new paint-job I hope the paint is ok.

My paint is o.k. Thank you.

Funny detail: The guy owning the BMW used to have a NSX.......

(i feel sorry for the guy though, coz he seemed to be a nice person)

Dutchy

The european E36, 3.2 has 315HP (the engine is different from the US version). The (euro) E46 has 340HP.

(that damn euro-us thing...
wink.gif
)

With the introduction of the E46, differences between the European and U.S. versions have disappeared. The E46 M3 is rated at 333 hp. My understanding is that it is either identical, or almost identical, to the Euro version. There are different methods of measuring hp and I'm not sure whether the same method is used for the Euro version as the U.S. version, or there are actual slight differences that account for the 7 hp.

The M Coupe and M Roadster contain a slightly modified version of the engine from the M3, hence the difference of 18 hp. As noted in Edmunds, "it makes slightly less horsepower than in the M3s because some of the engine components had to be reduced so that it can fit into the engine bay of the smaller Ms."

AFAIK, all the E46 engines that have been self-destructing have been from the M3, not the M Coupe. But it is possible that this only reflects the difference in numbers of cars.

I quick checked the BMW site, and they are stating 343HP for the new E46 M3, 321HP for the M coupe.
Wondering if it has to do with the emmision differences between EU/US ?

Anyway, i always thought very positive off these engines.....until lately.....

Mich

Anyway, i always thought very positive off these engines.....until lately.....
A friend of mine recently picked up an '02 E46M3 with SMG-II (F1-style auto-manual) tranny. Likes it a lot -- I think he was also at the event that nsxtasy mentioned.

For those not familiar with this, the Bimmer unit is significantly more advanced than the unit on the Ferrari roadcars, and can shift MUCH faster.

AFAIK, all the E46 engines that have been self-destructing have been from the M3, not the M Coupe.

Hey Ken, you made me curious. Just how many E46 M3 engines have blown up that you are aware of?

Any driver error involved in these incidents?

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
Any driver error involved in these incidents?
For the incident Ken cited above (RoadAmerica BMWCCA DE event)...

I heard it was a student car in group 3 (less experienced?) with an 11/01 build date. Didn't miss a shift according to the instructor, motor just blew up climbing the hill.

Its possible he was low/marginal on oil, and didn't check it in between run groups ??

OTOH, at the same event last year, an experienced instructor with a new P911TT had coolant hose failure in the paddock. Dumped his fluids all over. Ouch...
frown.gif

I've heard from the BMW folks that there are a lot of discussions about the E46 engine blowing up, all over the various BMW and E46 e-mail lists and bulletin boards. Apparently there have been 6-10 incidents at BMWCCA schools alone (even before the one I saw). It is not driver error and AFAIK none of the incidents are related to lack of oil; apparently there is some kind of design defect that hasn't been fully identified or corrected by BMW yet.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 08 May 2002).]

I tried to control myself, but my fingers would not listen to my brain.

I do appreciate the visual clarification between various BMW models, but... Al Bundy's mother-in-law might be easier to look at! The M roadster/coupe/z3.. what god awful looking cars.

re: M3... I wonder if Car and Driver will mention this "engine blowing up limitation"
the next time they rave about the vehicle.

Back