• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SCHOOL 1977 vs. SCHOOL 2007

Its a bit exaggerated but the point remains true.

SCHOOL 1977 vs. SCHOOL 2007

Scenario: Jack goes duck hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.
1977- Vice principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his own shotgun to show Jack.
2007 - School goes into lockdown, the Feds and ATF are called, Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors are called in to assist traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.
1977- Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2007- Police are called, SWAT team arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. They are charged with assault and both are expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.
1977 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given a good paddling. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra district funding because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1977- Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some Aspirin to school.
1977 - Mark shares Aspirin with the school principal out on the smoking dock.
2007 - Police are called and Mark is ex pelled from school for drug violations. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high-school English.
1977- Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. Lawyers file class action lawsuit against the public school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing law ns for a living becaus e he c annot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover 4th of July firecrackers, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.
1977- Ants die.
2007 - FBI are called and Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. They investigate his parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during recess and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.
1977- Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.
2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in federal prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy.

Scenario: deedubb writes a few jokes to illustrate the problems of our overreaching government and police.
1977 - Most people laugh since they know it's a joke.
2007 - deedubb's thread turns into a 5 page argument on Prime because some members in law enforcement take it as a slight, and then decide to point out all the good they do despite everyone's discontent.

It's a bit exaggerated but the point remains true.

Scenario: deedubb writes a few jokes to illustrate the problems of our overreaching government and police.
2007 - deedubb's thread turns into a 5 page argument on Prime because some members in law enforcement take it as a slight, and then decide to point out all the good they do despite everyone's discontent.

:rolleyes:

LOL.

At my high school when I was there a kid accidental shot himself in the parking lot while cleaning his gun. Nothing ever happened to him except for a small bullet hole.

Scenario: Jack goes duck hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.
1977- Vice principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his own shotgun to show Jack.
2007 - School goes into lockdown, the Feds and ATF are called, Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors are called in to assist traumatized students and teachers.

This one really struck home with me. Sophomore year in HS, I did a demonstration speech on "How to clean a shotgun". Yes, I actually brought my .410 pump shotgun into school to do a speech. In hindsight, it's hard to believe, but that was the climate back then.

If I tried that today it would have been all over the news.

^^ Edit: I'm NOT the guy in the previous post!! ^^^

You know, even though that was tongue and cheek, it is pretty darn close to the truth. Is America becoming an oppressive government? That is how it happens-incrementally so no one really takes notice. One right at a time-

I just flew to AZ this week and on the return flight back to CA I was pulled out of line at the security check point and my bag searched. I was OK with that I guess since it is important to do random checks. I was told my hair gel- Crew, was not permitted and I was subject to some Federal crime because it was.... now get this.... 3.5 ounces and the limit for these types of items is 3.4 ounces. The TSA employee got all stern with me and I said "Fine, sorry, my mistake, throw it away". They swabbed it for explosives first and then threw my new $10 hair gel in the garbage. Oh, I guess I look like a terrorist too - early fifties, white, short hair, clean shaven, business man, dressed accordingly on a business trip. 4th Amendment....what 4th Amendment?

At my high school in the early 80's they supplied the weapons to us in gym. We had archery with real bows and arrows, and we also had an indoor rifle range. I got in a little trouble for pointing the rifle in the wrong direction once, but it wasn't loaded. :D

You know, even though that was tongue and cheek, it is pretty darn close to the truth. Is America becoming an oppressive government? That is how it happens-incrementally so no one really takes notice. One right at a time-

I just flew to AZ this week and on the return flight back to CA I was pulled out of line at the security check point and my bag searched. I was OK with that I guess since it is important to do random checks. I was told my hair gel- Crew, was not permitted and I was subject to some Federal crime because it was.... now get this.... 3.5 ounces and the limit for these types of items is 3.4 ounces. The TSA employee got all stern with me and I said "Fine, sorry, my mistake, throw it away". They swabbed it for explosives first and then threw my new $10 hair gel in the garbage. Oh, I guess I look like a terrorist too - early fifties, white, short hair, clean shaven, business man, dressed accordingly on a business trip. 4th Amendment....what 4th Amendment?
So glad you realize the absurdities of modern day TSA.

Join us here to voice your disapproval of this madness.

Teen gets detention for hugging friends

Megan Coulter, an eighth-grader in Mascoutah, Ill., finished a second after-school detention today. That was her punishment for hugging friends Friday, which her school forbids.

"I feel it is crazy. I was just giving them a hug goodbye for the weekend," Megan, 13, told the Associated Press .

According to school policy, "Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved."

District Superintendent Sam McGowen said that administrators were simply enforcing the student handbook and that the penalty is fair.

Megan's parents plan to be at the next school board meeting. They said they'll ask the board to reword the policy or be more specific about what constitutes a display of affection.

We're pretty f***ed these days to have schools enact this kind of BS.

Let's add some more. I'm pretty middle-of-the-road on most issues - like a Republicrat or a Demopublican (I guess that's what I get for one parent being a Republican and the other one a Democrat).

Scenario:
1977: Kid screws up at school. Parents are called and pick up kid. Parents handle it at home; they either toast the kids @ss w/ a belt, ground him/her, etc, whatever works in that household. Kid now knows that if he/she screws up again, there will be consequences at home.

2007: Kid screws up at school. Parents are called and are unable to pick up kid because they can't leave work, so kid sits in office until 5:30pm. Parents get there and blame everyone but themselves or the kid for the problem. Parents contend the kid is a "good kid". Something else must be the cause of the behaviour. Kid now knows that if he/she screws up again, all that will happen is that they will have to sit in the office for the rest of the day before they get to go home and play with their Wii on their plasma TV in the bedroom. Parents pour themselves a drink and complain to their friends about the school system.

Yes, it's exaggerated, but based on how I see kids treating parents these days, it seems like the kid is the adult in the relationship and they are running things.

Last edited:
Yes, it's exaggerated, but based on how I see kids treating parents these days, it seems like the kid is the adult in the relationship and they are running things.

+1

Bring back the belt!! And if parents are too soft to do so belt them and their psychiatrists too!! I too am sick of hearing "he/she is a good kid", MUST be something else. Thats right, the something else is the parents not paying attention!

Sad as it sounds but I think it was Bill Cosby that made a comment way way back during one of his specials, which at the time was very funny. But today, just kid of sad. It went something like parents aren't concerned about justice or the right thing, they are concerned with QUIET. It has something to do with his kids crying about a toy and Cosby gave the toy to the child knowing it belonged to his other child.

These days parents would rather buy their kids attention/respect than earn it. They make excuses like work, schedule etc, ummm sorry, your kid should be on top of that schedule, period. Otherwise you shouldn't have had a kid.

Last edited:
I distinctly remember taking my .22 caliber single shot rifle to school (minus bullets) to school for show and tell in the early 60's.

I distinctly remember taking my .22 caliber single shot rifle to school (minus bullets) to school for show and tell in the early 60's.

You sure about this?...I mean it was the 60's...might have been an illegal substance induced hallucination. :tongue: :wink: :biggrin:

1977 - Johnny likes Suzie, asks Suzie out, they go have a good time, Johnny gets lucky and is a hero among his friends.

2007 - Johnny likes Suzie, but the voices in his head tell him he should get high before he asks her out. After weeks of self torment, he asks her out, they go to the mall and eat at the food court. Johnny gets lucky in the back seat of the cab, Suzie gets AIDS and dies. The end.

Senario 2

1977 - We play murder ball and whip balls at each other, leaving with bloody noses and welts on our legs. We have fun.

2007 - We can't even have a snowball fight on school property without the police getting called and all the students involved being suspended. No one has fun.

You telling me there is a generation of people that thinks things have gotten worse since they were younger?

Stop the presses!

:tongue:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FkHE0KjPzMQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FkHE0KjPzMQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

This is the best I can come up with.

Scenario: Jimmy asks his neighborhood friends if they would like to play some football.
1977: Jimmy and his friends go to the local park and play football.
2007: Jimmy and his friends go home and pop in Madden NFL 07 on their XBOX360.

Who here had to pick their own switch off a tree??

I have a hard time swallowing what is considered child abuse now-a-days. Not that Im an advocate of beating children but i feel that a good smack on the butt is a good deterrent for most of us. My parents used to tell me that there was nothing that a good ol fashioned ass whoopin couldn't fix.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FkHE0KjPzMQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FkHE0KjPzMQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Ah Mike so you remember the movie. Man that is a great flick.

1984 last day of school. Steveny brings a whole duffle bag of water balloons to school and stashes them in his girlfriend's locker. Later that day he hands them out to a few of his friends. They proceed to have a huge water balloon fight. The principal creeps up behind Steveny and is scolding him. At the same time Steveny's buddy John is sneaking around a bank of lockers. John launches the balloon at full force right at where he believes Steveny is. Unfortunately John blasts the balloon right on the principal's face. Steveny watches the balloon stretch around the principals face almost as if it is in slow motion. The balloon doesn't break so John waddles around the bank of lockers not knowing he has hit the principal in the face. John bends down to pick up the water balloon only to see the shiny tips of the principals shoes. As he looks up I couldn't help but to drop to my knees in uncontrolable laughter.

A couple of things I did for science fair projects in the late 70s might not go over well today.

1. Cloud chamber which involved bringing something radioactive to school, in this case I used a plate that was manufactured in the 30s with a paint that contained uranium (these are probably still floating around today, as I recall it was primarily used in orange paint). I also used dry ice in that same project.

2. A vial of mercury that magnetized when you passed current through it, attracting a coiled wire, when the wire made contact, current was shut off, when the wire wasn't in contact, power would turn back on, essentially creating a bouncing spring. This project used A LOT of mercury (loaned to me by a local college), in fact I had no idea how toxic it was nor did other kids and we were pouring it out onto our desks and playing with it with our bare hands. Duh.

These days I'm not sure how well it would go over bring mercury or radioactive materials to a school :).

Here we go, Fiestaware dishes:
http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/consumer products/fiesta.htm
fiesta.jpg

The red color [I have no idea why they call this red, it's friggin orange!! -robr] was achieved by adding uranium oxide in the glaze - measurements have indicated that by weight, up to 14 % of the glaze might be uranium. How much glaze was employed per plate is unclear but it has been estimated that a single plate contains 4.5 grams of uranium (Buckley et al). Piesch et al estimated the glaze thickness at 0.2 mm.

Since this uranium could be used in the production of an atomic bomb, Fiesta red became a victim of World War II when the US government confiscated the company’s stocks of uranium. Fiesta red disappeared until 1959 when production resumed, this time using depleted uranium (DU) rather than the original natural uranium. The Fiesta red plate in the above photo was made from depleted uranium while the ivory plate was made from natural uranium.

Last edited:
Who here had to pick their own switch off a tree??

I have a hard time swallowing what is considered child abuse now-a-days. Not that Im an advocate of beating children but i feel that a good smack on the butt is a good deterrent for most of us. My parents used to tell me that there was nothing that a good ol fashioned ass whoopin couldn't fix.

For me it was the friggen hot wheel track instead of the belt or switch. That hot wheel track hurt like hell.
Beaten with one of my own toys.:frown: :biggrin: I deserved it most of the time.

A couple of things I did for science fair projects in the late 70s might not go over well today.

1. Cloud chamber which involved bringing something radioactive to school, in this case I used a plate that was manufactured in the 60s with a paint that contained radium (these are probably still floating around today, as I recall it was primarily used in orange paint). I also used dry ice in that same project.

2. A vial of mercury that magnetized when you passed current through it, attracting a coiled wire, when the wire made contact, current was shut off, when the wire wasn't in contact, power would turn back on, essentially creating a bouncing spring. This project used A LOT of mercury (loaned to me by a local college), in fact I had no idea how toxic it was nor did other kids and we were pouring it out onto our desks and playing with it with our bare hands. Duh.

These days I'm not sure how well it would go over bring mercury or radioactive materials to a school :).

Oh man in science class my buddy Lance and I built this huge volcano. it was built to scale and really looked great. We put trees on it and it actually erupted using rocket engines. At the last minute I decided to put some fire crackers in it. Well needless to say I got in a bunch of trouble for that.

1. Cloud chamber which involved bringing something radioactive to school, in this case I used a plate that was manufactured in the 60s with a paint that contained radium (these are probably still floating around today, as I recall it was primarily used in orange paint). I also used dry ice in that same project.

That's ok, you can find it in your flu shot!

Back