• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Science of Speed Twin Turbo

Science of Speed Twin Turbo. OK, who is going to be the first?

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/twin_turbo_system/

I can't believe I am the first to post this. :eek:

ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbocharger System for NSX

twinturbo_engineqtr2_900.jpg

ScienceofSpeed releases the new twin turbo system for the Acura NSX. A culmination of years of experience with the NSX and forced induction tuning has contributed to this clean slate design to build an optimum - no compromise turbocharger system for the NSX. Our system is designed to prove that a reliable, high performance, factory quality turbocharger system can exist for the NSX.

twinturbo_stockrearqtr_900.jpg

factory quality performance
The system stands alone in design and construction to best represent what we feel is in essence the most factory approach to the design and execution of a turbocharger system for the V6 powered NSX. Unlike single turbocharger systems which merge the twin cylinder banks into one manifold, the ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbo System is designed like all parallel factory style turbocharger systems for V engines - with one turbocharger per cylinder bank. This allows the turbocharger to be optimally placed as close as possible to the engine's exhaust ports for best transient boost response, reducing the "boost lag" found with other turbocharger systems. In addition, separating the cylinder banks eliminates exhaust reversion seen in merged single turbo systems increasing turbocharger response and decreasing backpressure. The smaller turbochargers are optimized for low and mid range power, yet collectively allow a significant amount of exhaust volume to pass at high RPM to increase top end power yield.

twinturbo_frontturbo_900.jpg

factory quality fitment and reliability
In addition to performance, a significant emphasis was placed on designing a system that does not require permanent modification to the vehicle and emphasizes reliable performance. Positioning of the turbochargers was carefully analyzed to place the turbocharger in an optimal location with custom thick wall forged stainless steel tubular manifolds while still allowing the turbocharger to fit within the constraints of the factory engine bay. Despite the two separate turbocharger systems, overall complexity has been reduced in comparison to other systems available. The turbochargers mounted above the oil pan eliminates the need to run external scavenge pumps - exposing the engine's oil system to reliability of electrical components. In addition, the turbochargers use built-in reliable internal wastegates which reduce complexity, increase reliability, and promote a quiet livable exhaust sound. The design and layout is stealthy and mostly hidden. The engine bay looks mostly stock with the exception of the aluminum charge pipe - which may be covered for the ultimate sleeper presentation.

twinturbo_enginebrace_900.jpg

no compromise material and craftsmanship quality
An exceptional amount of emphasis was placed on quality to yield not only a fantastic looking system, but also one that is built to last. The turbocharger exhaust manifolds are fabricated from CNC machined stainless steel flanges for a precision fit with forged stainless steel tubular exhaust manifolds that have been designed as support members as well as to provide high velocity exhaust pulses to the turbocharger for maximum performance. The exhaust manifolds and turbocharger down pipes are all TIG back-purge gas welded for the most durable high quality construction. Several components have been custom designed by ScienceofSpeed - and the proof is in the details. An example is the custom machined NSX cylinder head adaptor fittings that efficiently feed the turbochargers with oil supply. You do not need to tee into the factory oil housing with fittings that do not fit and chance cracking the housing from vibration like used on other systems.

twinturbo_chargepipe_900.jpg

a powerfully flexible design
Based on custom modified Garrett GT28 twin turbochargers that are capable of 400-600 horsepower, the ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbo System provides the widest easily expandable system available. In addition, a unique feature of the ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbo System is that the design allows the use of the factory catalytic converters and an exhaust that mounts to factory locations for emissions compliance. This combination is effective up to 400 hp and is ideal for customers who would like to retain the factory cats for emissions purposes and who already own a good performing aftermarket exhaust. A separate high flow exhaust system is offered by ScienceofSpeed with and without integrated high flow cats for customers who have power goals in excess of 400 up to 600 horsepower depending on engine configuration.

STAGE1-8PSI.jpg

The use of twin turbochargers allows a significantly wide performance envelope. The system is ideal for a customer with a factory engine with goals of 400 horsepower all the way to a customer who is interested in expanding the factory engine with goals in excess of 600 horsepower.

The use of proven industry standard turbochargers result in a high quality and reliable system with excellent expandable options.

System contents:

* ScienceofSpeed modified twin GT28R turbochargers: ball bearing, oil lubricated, water cooled
* front & rear exhaust manifolds: CNC machined stainless steel flanges, forged stainless steel tubular TIG back-purged welded
* front & rear turbocharger down pipes with separated wastegate dump tubes: stainless steel tubular TIG back-purged welded
* liquid-air intercooler, heat exchanger, water pump, and reservoir
* aluminum TIG welded intake charge tubes (4)
* twin intake system with AEM Dry-Flow air filters
* TIAL 50mm vent to atmosphere blow-off valve or twin recirculation valves
* high quality 4-ply silicone hose coupler, stainless steel band clamps, and all required installation hardware
* turbocharger water cooling installation kit
* oil feed & oil drain installation kit with custom dual cylinder head feed fittings
* AEM engine management system
(AEM EMS 1991-94 NSX, AEM F/IC 1995-2005 NSX)
* electronic boost controller
* fuel injector set
* high flow fuel pump

ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbo System for NSX
turbochargers ScienceofSpeed modified twin Garrett GT28R turbochargers: ball bearing, oil lubricated, water cooled
intercooler liquid-air intercooler, bar & plate core, high capacity front-mount heat exchanger
blow off valve TIAL 50mm atmosphere vent or twin recirculation
material forged stainless steel pipe exhaust manifolds, stainless steel down pipe assemblies, aluminum charge pipe assemblies, TIG back-purge welded
power capacity 400-600++ horsepower (400 is the recommended limit for the factory engine)
compatibility all NSX years with factory catalytic converters & cat back exhaust (up to 400 horsepower) or ScienceofSpeed Turbo Exhaust
installation notes compatible w/ factory engine cover & brace
options HPC coated manifolds & down pipes, powdercoated charge tube

Please contact ScienceofSpeed for pre-order details.

ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbocharger System for NSX - NSX, 1991-94
[enpp-2010] $11,900.00
ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbocharger System for NSX - NSX, 1995-99
[enpp-2011] $11,900.00
ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbocharger System for NSX - NSX, 2000-05
[enpp-2012] $11,900.00

Science of Speed Twin Turbo. OK, who is going to be the first?

Judging by the car, looks like someone already is "the first." ;)

This should be a great option for FI prospects. Looking forward to some video.

O M G

I'm in trouble.

No. No. No.

A house comes before a turbocharger system.
Take a deep breadth....remember: Food ,Clothing,Shelter,then turbo system for your sports car:wink:

So which is better? Twin turbos or Comptech supercharger?

Not sure which technically is better for reliability and longevity and which one has the best punch... You would think the twin turbos would be easier on the engine, but I am a n00b in such matters and have no clue.

What if I already have all three.... :biggrin:

Well then you must not be using the public libraries computer:wink: If you can write the check,then go for it.If a car mod means cutting back somewhere else or you have to borrow the $ don't do it. PS my comments are meant for the younger readers who need to be reminded how to budget :smile:

Well then you must not be using the public libraries computer:wink: If you can write the check,then go for it.If a car mod means cutting back somewhere else or you have to borrow the $ don't do it. PS my comments are meant for the younger readers who need to be reminded how to budget :smile:

Hehehe, I know. I'm just being silly.

So which is better? Twin turbos or Comptech supercharger?......

For California and emission-nazi states the Supercharger is more likely to pass the visual inspection than any turbo applications out there.

one can fake a CARB EO# for a supercharger. There are no known CARB EO# for any turbo solutions for the NSX.

As for power and performance - it's pretty dame close.

For California and emission-nazi states the Supercharger is more likely to pass the visual inspection than any turbo applications out there.

one can fake a CARB EO# for a supercharger. There are no known CARB EO# for any turbo solutions for the NSX.

As for power and performance - it's pretty dame close.

Most CTSC are putting down 370RWHP on a 3.2 vs 400 for the Turbo and the Turbo makes more TQ. I would think the turbo would be faster than a CTSC.

Most CTSC are putting down 370RWHP on a 3.2 vs 400 for the Turbo and the Turbo makes more TQ. I would think the turbo would be faster than a CTSC.

I was thinking of the SOS supercharger with an after cooler since this kit includes one:

SOS Supercharger:

ScienceofSpeed-10psi-3.2L.gif

VS.

SOS Twin Turbos:

STAGE1-8PSI.jpg

Notice how the TQ curve is more ideal in the Supercharger application.

Last edited:
I was thinking of the SOS supercharger with an after cooler since this kit includes one:

Right but you are coming a low comp build 3.2 at 10psi vs a stock motor with 8psi on a 3.0 or 3.2L? I don't know which.

This is a kit I was talking about that I preferred a while ago.....finally someone has come out and made one......good job. I bet it sounds wicked with the gtlw muffler.....this is very hard to resist.

The 2x turbo is listed as SOS Stage 1 engine - which would be a low comp engine.

OK, so we are at $6,000 for the low comp build and $12,000 for the turbo. So that set-up on the dyno is $18,000 for 416RWHP? Is that right? Looks like it could do 500RWHP with Stage 1.

I would like to know what it does on a stock 3.2L motor.

Is the talk about factory reliability on a stock motor or built motor?

Last edited:
I believe hugh is already going this route. I could be wrong but he has posted many times about going twin turbo.:smile:

Interesting that it doesn't address low compression builds. I would think a twin or compound design would work in the favor of a 3.5 low comp system. I wonder if this was an in-house design or maybe adapted from another natorious NSX Turbo builder. Cough...Cody..cough.cough.

Sent from my Droid

Back