• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed introduces new ProFormance Audiophile System for the NSX

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=319811&postcount=6

or

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=324557&postcount=14

These posts I think you are referring to have pics of where a small JL tweeter has been added to the OEM bose set-up by mounting in the front sail-panel. As Chris points out this is perhaps not necessarily as simple as it might appear. Those pics are of inexpensive 3/4" tweeters and not in the same league as the D6 items.

There are obviously many personal choices you can make when installing this system - some will depend on your own preferences or compromises. pt91 has had some custom "A" pillars made to mount his if you search for those or check his personal gallery.

Mine are mounted just below the sail panel in the actual door panel itself.

5957tweet_012.jpg

Of course some people won't want to cut a hole in their panel - personally I don't think that's a big deal, even from re-sale (as long as the tweeters are left in there!)

The great thing is that this kit will give you everything you require to make the conversion, but you'll still have some personal choices for individualism, depending on skillset and preference. The amp location also comes into that category - even between Chris, Marc & myself we all have different ideas about what our preference is! :)

On the question re interior amp mount, I would suggest that if you are short (like me!) then you could consider location vertically on the firewall behind the driver's seat is a possibility - I would not consider behind the passenger seat, as there is much less available space (not because of the sub-box - even with the std. set-up). However, I would also generally advise against the interior mount because of invitation for crime.

Last edited:
goldNSX said:
I think the system would be perfect if:

- the amplifier sould be placed behind the drivers seat to keep weight distribution short/perfect :) But that's a only a matter of preference I know. :)

Regards,
Thomas
You've got to be kidding right? WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION?? Were talking about a 5 lb amplifier. You gave me my laugh for the day, thanks.

SNDSOUL said:
You've got to be kidding right? WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION?? Were talking about a 5 lb amplifier. You gave me my laugh for the day, thanks.

You're right, I'm kidding. :) Maybe it's better to place the amp on the hood to get more downforce! :D

I just ordered the sub and enclosure today (thanks Chris!). I've had my car all wired and ready for weeks now just waiting for a decent sub/box combo. I trust the SOS guys so I was on pins and needles waiting for them to come out with this. Hopefully it will arrive either late this week or early next week. I'll be sure to do a whole write up with pictures once I get it and installed.

Chris@SoS said:
3. Tweeter placement: The stage 1 allows mounting of the tweeter over the main driver. The stage 2 tweeter can be placed on the speaker panel for users that do not wish to modify the door panel. We prefer to place this in the upper front corner of the door panel for imaging. Our instructions illustrate where on the door panel this fits in nicely.

Just let us know if you have any questions.

best regards,
-- Chris
Chris,

Can you clarify this paragraph a bit. I'm somewhat at a loss as to what happens with the Stage 2 tweeter in various scenarios.

Thanks,
-Randy

FuryNSX said:
Chris,

Can you clarify this paragraph a bit. I'm somewhat at a loss as to what happens with the Stage 2 tweeter in various scenarios.

Thanks,
-Randy

hi Randy --

No problem. The stage 1 and stage 2 package include different door speaker / tweeter / crossover components. The stage 1 components allow the tweeters to be mounted over the speaker in a co-axial placement or they can be mounted in the door panel for best sound quality. The stage 2 tweeters are larger, and can not be placed over the speaker. We recommend to place the tweeter in the door panel for best sound imaging. However, if a user of the stage 2 package does not want to install the tweeter in the door panel, it can be placed down on the speaker panel in the corner at a slight compromise to sound quality. I hope this clarifies. Here's a picture of the tweeter mounted in the door panel as part of a stage 2 package we have installed:

tweeterdoormount.jpg

For example this is how I mounted mine (I did this last year, this is not SOS stuff!) on the speaker panel. I did not want to cut into the upper area.

tweetercloseup.jpg

dooropen.jpg

That was another really innovative idea Tom - I might be more inclined to have placed it at the upper front of the grille, if on there at all. (as per altered image below) The NSX is particularly challenged by the limited space at the bottom of the driver compartment & the tweeter frequencies don't get the ideal free path that would be most beneficial - at least moving them forward & up helps this a little. It should be noted however purists maintain that the best imaging will actually come from a "point"source, as in the co-axial mounting of the Stage 1 components - this assumes a perfect path length unimpeded & equal from both channels, hence the popularity of kick panels, which are obviously not a consideration on the NSX.
Chris means to mount directly on the speaker mounting plate, so no cutting of the door panel or grille is required, to retain the integrity of the stock trim.
I agree that his location shown above in the upper door area is probably the optimum one.
Another great choice would be on the face of the dash panel as per the red location but I don't think there will be too many who will want to cut a hole in that! It's all about compromises.

Once again, this demonstrates there are many great ideas out there & no one is a stand-out recommendation for your personal conditions - you have fabulous options available and all will give slight differences that many will find the subtleties indiscernible.
A tip would be to try some options with your tweeter placement using blue tack or similar & listen to your system before you finally decide to cut something that cannot be undone!

Attachments

• tweet.jpg
    tweet.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 936
D'Ecosse said:
Another great choice would be on the face of the dash panel as per the red location but I don't think there will be too many who will want to cut a hole in that! It's all about compromises.
I disagree 100%. It's actually a BAD idea. That location will put the mid & tweeter too far apart causing some degree frequency seperation which will make it very obvious as to the speaker locations. If you're trying to move the tweeter around to achieve better imaging, this is not going to do it. You also may experience poor results with reflections from the side windows, windshield, & dash.

Good imaging comes mostly from the location and direction of the MID driver. Keeping the mids in the stock locations will not produce great imaging regardless of where you place the tweeter. Like I said, imaging and soundstage information comes from the midrange frequencies. But from a staging and imaging perspective, you need to install the midrange as far away from the listening position as possible putting more effort on that rather than the tweeter placement. You want equal pathlengths, and putting them as far forward as possible makes the differences in pathlengths less.

If you're only goal is tonality (and NOT imaging), than speakers in stock locations is fine and really has no bearing. You can install speakers ALMOST anywhere and have great tonality.

If you're goal is good sound with limited imaging (and MUST use the factory speaker locations in the NSX - which will suck but there's not a whole lot of options), I'd put the mid in there with the tweeter as close as possible (mounted in the factory grill in the forward area), and aim the drivers door tweeter at the passengers left ear with the passengers side tweeter aimed at the drivers right ear to help with any left/right bias. However, using the stock door locations, I would not expect to ever achieve great imaging.

But I'd NEVER cut into the dash to install a tweeter there that just won't produce good results at all.

Guys,

Thanks for the information. Just for clarification, in the situation where the stage 2 tweeter is mounted on the mounting plate, would it be sitting in a position similar to Inexcess's example, but behind the OEM mesh?

-Randy

D'Ecosse said:
at least moving them forward & up helps this a little.

I think I played with the various positions of the tweeter around the speaker panel and for some reason (probably no obvious obstructions) I chose were I eventually put them. I did attempt to position them termporarily to see if I could tell any difference in locating the tweeters on the speaker plate and at least I did not notice any difference. I think where I put them is just easier. My tweeters (Infinity) seemed like they needed a lot of room behind them so I was worried about depth issues.

Oh well It sounds great to me so I'm happy. Way better than stock in any case.

Here is what I did, the imaging is great. A 1" tweeter in the dash, a 3" mid in the upper door panel with the 6" in the stock locaton, and the sub in the
box (similar to Chris').

Attachments

• DSC00016.JPG
    DSC00016.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 778
WOW!!!!! My Diamond Audio stage II set up is UNBELIEVABLE!!!! SOS hooked my car up with all the good stuff. The amp delivers way more than enough power. The subwoofer hit really hard.... The install had precise attention to detail...The subwoofer only takes about a inch of leg room off and is really unnoticeable.

I have a JL audio set up in my other car and I have to admit I was very skeptical of going with the Diamond Audio package but I am a believer now.

At several stop lights plenty of people could hear the bass.... I know the NSX already attracts a lot of attention but everyone knows my presence is there now. :biggrin: The little kid in me starts up at traffic lights now....

If quality and a turn key system that sounds good out of the box you just can't go wrong. The pricing and everything you need to sound great have been put into this package. I think it is great that the NSX community has people like SOS and Diamond audio who come together to create cutting edge products that they stand behind.

Quality and customer service will always stand the test of time. Think of all the vendors the NSX community has seen come and go... The creme always rises to the top!!!!

Last edited:
Here's a quick preview of the install currently under way - the box prepped and covered with carpet ready to install.
There will be a full report on the install coming but wanted to share some more box shots with you:

Attachments

• sub3.JPG
    sub3.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 457
  • sub4.JPG
    sub4.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 451
and a couple installed in the car ....

(Man, I'd better clean those fingerprints off the glove box before I give car back to Jonathan ........ )

Attachments

• box5.JPG
    box5.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 441
  • box7.JPG
    box7.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 459
Hi

This looks really nice. I just have to save money now to be able to afford this upgrade. It will be a lot of fun to again be able to play some music too and not only listen to the Tubi :)

My rugs are worn so maybe a change to some nice new ones too. You had to cut to make them fit didn't you?

Regards

Martin I made a pattern for a new passenger side mat for my own so it is a perfect fit - another pattern could be to have it cut flush with the bottom of the box, for those who want to show it off.
I'll be supplying that pattern to Hrant & SOS so they can offer this as an option. If you check back to my own system install thread (the last one anyway!) you'll see the Hrant mats in there. They are very nice quality & you have much more selection of colours/combinations too.
There are different choice with the base carpet - in the case above I actually trimmed it off just under the base of the box, but it's not necessary to do this if you don't want - it will fit much deeper & more secure this way however & looks neater in my opinion too.

Ken, we found your old pattern. So if the pattern is the same with SoS' fitting, we can have a go of the floor mats with a group buy of 6 sets. Otherwise, we would need a new template.

Easiest test is for me to try my custom mat in the new install & see if it matches up.
Either way, won't be difficult to do another one - I was going to do a cut-off (shorty) one for you too, for those who might like to leave the box exposed, (but still have a bound-edged mat on the flat floor section) which I could foresee.

Back