• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed Sport Engine Mounts - all four now available

engine_mounts_800.jpg

As many know, ScienceofSpeed offers replacement engine mounts for the NSX. We've added the right side mount to our catalog - now offering all four mounts for the NSX. The new right side engine mount replaces the factory heavy cast iron engine mount with a lightweight mount machined from 6061 aluminum.

ScienceofSpeed Sport Engine Mounts
The ScienceofSpeed Engine & Transmission mounts are high performance alternatives to the more expensive factory mounts. Our approach to engine mounts for the NSX has been unique, and was achieved by testing various options and considering the factory aluminum mount housings.

The factory front, left, and rear mounts use elaborate solid aluminum housings which are extremely lightweight - more advanced of a design seen in most vehicles. You may notice other mounts available contain much more mass and lack the advanced webbing and hollow centers of the factory mount in order to reduce machine time. This can be seen in this photo:
rear_800.jpg

Our approach was to retain the solid factory aluminum housings because of this superior design.

In order to produce a mount that results in increased chassis stability while minimizing unwanted vibration and noise, a unique design was employed. The lightweight factory aluminum mount housing is retained (except for the cast iron right side mount, see note below) and the center is machined out. Grooves are machined into the mount and an aluminum casing machined from 6061 aluminum is installed that encapsulates replaceable synthetic rubber bushings that are pressed in by force into the housing allowing a higher tolerance than a single floating busing. This design reduces deflection compared to the factory mount by nearly 75%. The design allows bushings to be used that are only slightly harder than the factory bushing (a durometer increase of approximately 10 on the Shore A scale). The six encapsulated bushings result in decreased torsion flex (twisting) from force applied from the engine. The synthetic rubber bushings are designed to be replaced, however, due to the durability of the material, we do not expect that most customers will ever require replacement of these components.

new right side engine mount:
Rather than using the heavy factory cast iron housing used in the factory right engine mount, we have designed a complete replacement machined from 6061 aluminum. This mount is a direct replacement for the factory mount - no core exchange required.

pricing:
A large driver for producing these mounts was the expense of the factory mounts and other mounts available.

factory front engine mount: $312.25 (ScienceofSpeed: $199.00)
factory rear engine mount: $375.98 (ScienceofSpeed: $199.00)
factory left side engine mount: $375.28 (ScienceofSpeed: $224.00)
factory right side engine mount: $281.83 (ScienceofSpeed: $239.00)

For more information:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/engine_mounts/

best regards,
-- Chris

:eek: I am in for a set as soon as my car gets back on the lift for clutch and gears. Holly cow, those parts are awesome.
What kind of weight savings are we talking here Chris?

:eek: I am in for a set as soon as my car gets back on the lift for clutch and gears. Holly cow, those parts are awesome.
What kind of weight savings are we talking here Chris?

The only one I think that would have significant weight savings is the Right side Mount (as it's a brand new mount).
The others (left, front & rear) are the factory original housings with a SOS machined & installed center bushing.

Going to add these to my "to buy" list right now. :)

Chris .. how would you characterize the install effort? Is this a fairly simple DIY install project or do you have to spend hours removing other stuff in order to even get to them?

Does that makes any vibrations noise? I know I had an innovative street motor mounts on my dc5(rsx) and it makes vibrations noise all around the dash LOL

Hi Chris,

I would like to know how much is the core deposit should I order front and rear mounts sometimes this year. I have old spares of front and rear that I could exhange but the gearbox side I have to order new.

Thanks and regards.

Chris .. how would you characterize the install effort? Is this a fairly simple DIY install project or do you have to spend hours removing other stuff in order to even get to them?

I'm sorry I missed this question some time ago: installation is the same as factory. All of the mounts with the exception of the front mount are very easy. The front mount requires removal of the front beam, which while not difficult, does take about a half hour to remove the beam if you have not done so before.

regards,
-- Chris

Does that makes any vibrations noise? I know I had an innovative street motor mounts on my dc5(rsx) and it makes vibrations noise all around the dash LOL

Doing the front and rear mounts (the most popular ones that tear the most) produces a minimal amount of vibration increase (you have to really be paying attention to feel it). Doing all four will produce more vibration, but still allows the car to be comfortable.

-- Chris

Hi Chris,

I would like to know how much is the core deposit should I order front and rear mounts sometimes this year. I have old spares of front and rear that I could exhange but the gearbox side I have to order new.

Thanks and regards.

The left side (gear box side) mount has a core price of $175.00.

cheers,
-- Chris

Just wondering if Honda had a valid reason for making the right side mount in Cast Iron while the others are in Cast Aluminium?

What is it that causes the increase in vibration when using the SOS replacement mounts? And can this vibration issue be addressed?

Woon

Thanks Chris. Will order towards end of the year. Thank you. :smile:

Just wondering if Honda had a valid reason for making the right side mount in Cast Iron while the others are in Cast Aluminium?

What is it that causes the increase in vibration when using the SOS replacement mounts? And can this vibration issue be addressed?

Woon

Probably due to dimensions making an aluminum casting not possible. With a much high tensile strength of the 6061 alum billet, we're able to produce a strong lighter part. The vibration is from increased stiffness. If this is a concern, I would keep the factory part in place on the side mounts.

-- Chris

Back