• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Searched, but can't find an answer on suspension setup (bilstein+?springs?)

After a bit of searching, I am confused as to the proper setup for my 91 nsx. I want to replace the 20 year old shocks with something a bit firmer, and want to go with a bilstein setup (had them on my M3 and loved them) but cannot decide on the spring. I would like a minor drop as well, nothing "slammed" or anything, I'd just like to close the gap a bit.

My setup is the following: 17x8/18x9 OZ ultraleggera, w/ 215/40/17 front and 275/35/18 rear.

Now, from the posts that I have read, it seems that most people reuse the stock springs and run the bilsteins on the lower perch. My confusion lies in spring selection and the appropriate perch. Which spring do you guys suggest for a firm, yet comfortable ride, and which perch should I run?

Thanks for any input, guys!

Dali or Eibach's on the upper perch (bilsteins) sounds about what you are looking for.

1.25" drop for the Dali or Eibach's vs a ~ 7/8" drop with the stock springs on the lower perch.

It's what I did (Dali on Bilsteins upper perch), I like it closes the gap well, still comfortable on most streets. Cobblestone sucks no matter what your set-up:frown:

Last edited:
Ok, on my first NSX (1991), I had the Bilsteins on the lower perch with the stock springs. I thought that was an excellent setup, best ride and best handling setup, though when I was running the 18/19" wheels it looked like it should be lower.

On my current NSX (1995) I'm running on Eibach springs (~1.5" drop) with Bilsteins on the upper perch (stock setting, no drop). The ride is good for touring and cruising, but because the springs are progressive rate, I feel that handling suffers a little. The ride feels softer and a little less controlled than the above setup. However the drop and look is much better IMO. If I truly wanted to "slam" it I could always put the Bilsteins on the lower perch and keep the Eibachs, so it's be almost a 2.5" drop. . . I don't ever plan to do that. .

I've read in the NSX Wiki that the 1991-1994 had firmer suspension than the 1995 and up, but I'm not exactly sure if the spring rates have changed or just the struts. . . in either case, you're better off with the 1991 springs.

If you don't want the slammed look, I would just go Bilstein struts and put them on the lower perch when you install it. It is the easiest, cheapest, best overall option for what you're looking to do IMO. I highly recommend this setup.

Eibach's are 1.25" drop, Dali's are 1.25" as well, H & R are 1.5", , looks great but could be a pain depending on what your roads are like, if I remember correctly, Atlanta does not have the best roads.

Here's some good spring info:

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/info/article_read.cfm?articleID=415

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/suspension/more_springs_matrix.cfm

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Suspension#Spring_rates

Another option that many people are not aware of is that you could get perch heights cut at any custom height on your Bilsteins and then use your stock springs. Just need to find a place to do it, CGI Motorsports used to do it. If you like the current springs, then I suggest the above as a cheap option where you are already comfortable with the spring rate. If you want something higher you may have to decide how high of a spring rate you want to live with and that may take some rides in other members cars.

Stance with Bilstein and stock springs.

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 143
Mine are Swift Sports (.8"f/.6"R) on OEM Struts....probably not firm enough for you, but a great touring/cruising setup and I didn't give up any handling....

4608518345_d4fa786a35_o.jpg

If you want firmer than OEM with a moderate drop, I'd suggest Bilsteins on the lower perch and Zanardi Springs. This will drop the car about 1.25" total and give you a firmer suspension over stock. That's my $0.02 for the drop/firmness you are looking for.

Eibachs with Bilsteins on the upper perch (stock setting)
IMG_05172.jpg

IMG_0901_sm.jpg

Just Bilsteins on Lower perch with stock springs
11581IMG_2100.jpg

Back