• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Secret Tire Revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked the car up from the installer today. The odometer read 106130. My first trip consisted of about 30 miles of mixed driving, both around-town and interstate. Here are my initial impressions of the tires:

Fit: These tires are only one size larger than stock on both front and rear, so they aren't that much bigger. They do fill out the fender wells a little bit more than the oem tires, which I like. Both front and rear fit fine, and cause no problems with the TCS. I had read an assertion before that size P22545WR16 is too large in the front and would rub, so I tried a few full-lock turns to test it. I can report with confidence that the fronts did not rub and are not too large.

Handling: The car handled well and predictably up to 75mph on the interstate and around town, with no TCS problems or other issues. I did detect a bit of tread "squirm", which seems normal. I usually notice a little tread squirm on any new set of tires I have owned. The new, taller tread flexes more than a tire with less tread and some wear. Nothing unusual.

Ride Comfort: The tires seem to provide a much more comfortable, less harsh ride than the tires they replaced. Maybe it is deceiving because they are quieter, or because the thick new tread provides a bit more cushion, but the ride seemed a lot smoother.

Noise: MUCH quieter than the FM901s on the rear. I am glad to have that whine gone, although as I recall the FM901s were also quiet when they were new. They only started whining after several thousand miles. The Nexens seem equal in quietness to the MXX3s, which have a very conventional tread pattern and are nice and quiet.

Appearance: Handsome sidewalls, not quite as sexy as the FM901s, but somewhat more attractive than the Michelin Pilot SX MXX3s, which are great tires but kind of plain jane in the looks department. The tread design isn't my favorite look but it is acceptable. This tread design seems to be the "latest thing" in tire engineering and supposedly sheds water well, so I will defer to wet-weather performance over looks.

Cost: I ended up ordering the tires from two different sources to get the sizes I wanted. The rears were purchased from Ebay Seller "Tiresfast" and cost $184 delivered, shipping took five business days. The fronts were purchased from eastcoasttires.com in Asheboro, NC and cost $139.41 delivered, shipping took three business days. Installation cost $114.25, for a total cost of $437.66. Note: I could have purchased the rear tires from eastcoasttires.com for a little less than through the Ebay seller, and they would have all been delivered at the same time. I only discovered eastcoasttires.com after I had already ordered the rears, but either seller is a good source, for these tires and others.

I will pick up this thread later to discuss how well the tires actually perform.

On a side note, the installer deflated and collapsed the inflatable spare and replaced it under the hood, but I had to put the bolt back in which holds it down. While I was doing this, I noticed that the spare tire had a crack running around one edge, apparently due to age and dry rot. I will need to replace it. Maybe others should have a close look at their spare tire also? I am also in the process of replacing the air pump, as the one I have (not the original but an aftermarket pump) has a universal-type connector which wouldn't inflate the spare when I tried it. After doing some research, I learned the BMW M5 doesn't have a spare tire at all, and comes with an air pump instead. When I had a look at the BMW pump I saw that it doesn't have a universal-type connector, but an actual screw-on connector, so I intend to acquire a BMW pump as a replacement.

Last edited:
Please be careful while driving on new tires. New tires are known to be more slippery at the begining due to mold release and oils migrating to the surface depending on how long they were in storage (and the storage conditions). Let us know your experience after a few months).

Come on, Jett, we know you're lying. Since certain NSXers can't possibly be wrong in the help they gave and you were still foolish enough to refuse such help, then its obvious your non-stock tires exploded within 150ft of the installer and you crashed into a ditch. You typed that last message from the cab of a tow truck while it winched out your car, didn't you?

Actualy nexen is a subsidiary of Willie Wonka inc. and those tires will last for EVER!:tongue:

Just kidding!:smile: I didn't end up in a ditch and my car is fine. (My sincere condolences to whoever owned that car.)

Thanks to apapada for the cautionary about mold release. I am aware of this issue and have been taking it easy, but thank you all the same.

I am going to take some pictures of the car with the Nexen tires and e-mail them along with a letter to the manufacturer. Who knows, they might use it in their advertising or something.

My daughter got her learner's permit today. She wanted me to bring the "black car" for her first time driving, so that's what we did. (Here is one example of why I like the automatic.) After she got her permit, I let her drive home on country roads. She took it easy at low to moderate speeds while learning, and we got to share some quality time. (I took some pictures; now I have to figure out how to get them off the cell phone.) She/I will have a story to tell for the rest of her life - that the first time she ever drove she was driving an Acura NSX. How cool is that for her? Plus I got to make some memories with my daughter. How cool is that for me? She gets a lot of attention whenever I pick her up at school in the black car. Below is an older picture from when we went to a Shania Twain concert together. Am I playing the proud father to the max or what?

Afterward, I took the NSX to a local independent garage, Crofton Automotive, for some new bulbs and a Mobil1 oil change. When the oil change was done, I offered to let the young tech take the car for a "test drive" to "make sure the oil change went okay." He accepted, and while he was gone, the manager told me I had made the tech's week with that gesture, because the tech was a huge import fan and was tricking out his own car in his spare time. Not a problem, the tech earned it by doing a good job with my car. I like guys who like cars to work on my car. After the oil change, I took the car to a full-service car wash.

I like Crofton Automotive because you can watch and assist and they are not too proud for you to show them something on a car that is not that familiar to them. I would rather help out a little than have someone guessing because they didn't want to ask for assistance. They pride themselves on being family owned and not being satisfied until the customer is satisfied. The owner advertises his home phone number and states that you can call him at home directly at any time day or night if you are not satisfied and that he will make it right. Although I have never had any problems, they seem to be good to their word.

http://croftonautomotive.com/

As usual, too much information. Sorry to get so far off topic.

Attachments

• NSX1.jpg
    NSX1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Mobil 1 oil? Since this is not Honda oil, its crap. How dare you degrade the NSX's performance with non-Honda oil. Don't you know you could wind up in a ditch when this crap oil seizes your engine? Do you really know more than Honda engineers who specified Honda oil? Really, I'm just trying to help.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c23MFIKiVdE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c23MFIKiVdE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

All of this reminds me of an old Car and Driver or Road and Track, can't remember which. However on the last page was a photo of a Ferrari in a ditch with a guy standing next to it. The caption was "Good tires yes, great tires no".:rolleyes:

1000 mile update

Well, after putting 1000 miles on the car (which didn't take long) here is how it is going so far.

The ride seemed a little harsh in the front, so after the first hundred miles or so I checked the inflation and discovered that the installer had inflated all four tires to 40psi. Using a very accurate gauge, I reduced the pressure in the fronts to 33 psi and the rears to 35 psi. I tried this for a couple of days, but the rear seemed mushy so I reinflated the rears to 40psi, leaving the fronts at 33psi. After experimenting a little and really paying close attention to the effect of different pressures, these pressures feel just right for the car.

Gee, imagine that. Could the engineers at Honda actually have known a thing or two? You bet. I am now also of the opinion that 40psi in the rear provides a bit more essential wheel protection with the narrow 40-series sidewalls on the rear, although I do expect accelerated wear in the center of the rear tires.

I also had detected a bit of shake in the steering wheel at speeds of more than 60mph, so at about 500 miles I stopped into an independent tire shop (Piedmont Tire and Auto, 14202 Lee Hwy, Gainesville, VA, 20155) near where I work a few days ago to have them check the balancing on the fronts. Their specialty is tires and they have a very modern facility, but they are very laid back and let me follow the tech around while he did the balancing. He discovered that the original installer had left the stick-on weights inside the wheels and just added more weight via lead weights to the outside. So the tech stripped off all the old weights and balanced ALL the tires again using stick-on weights. Problem solved. All four corners are nicely balanced now, no steering wheel shake, handling is normal.

Finally, we had rain tonight on my drive home, so I was able to evaluate wet weather performance. My commute is 70 pretty hard miles one-way, with a variety of road surfaces, both concrete and asphalt. Pavement conditions range from nearly new interstate segments in Virginia, to absolutely atrocious potholes, surface irregularites, and rain-filled grooves to navigate in the Dictrict of Columbia. The rain was moderate with a lot of spray from other cars and a lot of pools of water standing in different places. The tires performed well at speeds of up to 70mph on a variety of surfaces. The tires gripped extremely well throughout the trip and I detected no slippage in sweeping turns or after skittering across irregular surfaces. I experienced maybe just the slightest amount of hydroplaning from a few of the small pools of water, but nothing that would cause any concern. The tires seem to shed water very well.

The feel of the car now is just right. It handles great, is agile and fast, and the tires are nice and quiet. A guy in a Honda S2000 raced me home one night at speeds of up to 125mph before he let off the throttle.

I won't be going back to the original installer, but I am really happy with the tires so far.

Last edited:
10,000 Mile Update

At over ten thousand miles, the Nexen N3000s are performing flawlessly. In the last five months I have been driving at speeds ranging from creeping through DC beltway backups in oppressive heat to 130mph plus sprints late at night on well-lit expressways. I have been doing my usual 70mileoneway70mph commute, to include driving in the rain (a little, been kinda dry) and dodging a few highway hazards along the way. I even logged about 40 miles on dirt roads* when I visited my aunt at her cabin in NC back around memorial day, to include a few climbs up a steep mountainside to get to the cabin. (The TCS light would blink like a christmas tree but the car just kept climbing.) The memorial day trip was approximately 1500 miles round trip including additional driving. I have also been pulled over once for speeding (he let me go - thanks officer!). So the car hasn't been chilling in the garage or anything. The car continues to handle predictably and well, with great wet-weather traction, and the tires remain smooth and quiet. No flats or nails or loss of inflation or anything. I have had absolutely no problems with the tires so far.

At this point, I would rate these tires as equal to the best tire I have previously had on my car - the Michelin Pilot SX MXX3. I can't say that they are better, but so far I consider them to be as good. The Nexens are better than the other tires that I have ran before, including such overrated tires as Pirelli Pzeros.

I hope to get at least 30,000 miles out of this set of tires. They seem to offer great performance, reliability, a nice quiet ride, and longevity, all at a great price. At this point, I would buy them again. I might try to go 10 or 20 mm wider on the back next time, just for looks. I wouldn't try any larger on the front though. I am maxxed out on tire size in the front.

*Not recommended; it took two weeks to get most of the dust out of the car. The engine is still dusty - I am afraid to have it steam cleaned and fry the electronics.

Last edited:
15,000 mile Update

Once again, the NSX hasn't been chilling in the garage. It has been working hard on my rough-and-tumble commute, even serving duty in my 16.5 year-old daughter's driver's test (she passed), while it endures my agonizingly slow stereo/climate control/interior upgrade. And now that my daughter is driving my Mustang, the NSX is going to see even more annual mileage.

The last 5000 miles have been mostly in dry weather, with only two days of heavy rain. At 15,000 plus miles, the tires are performing great. No weird handling, funky wear, flats, low pressure, etc. They perform well and are wonderfully quiet. I am absolutely satisfied with these tires - the only tires that I have ever owned that I will probably buy again.

If you don't drive your car very much, just buy some expensive, low-treadlife, soft performance tires for your NSX - there are several fine choices and you won't be driving it that much anyway. But if you want tough performance tires that perform well under demanding conditions, have long treadlife, and are inexpensive as well, so far the Nexen N3000s seem to be a great choice.

Still not convinced that they are good enough for the NSX? Fair enough...but at least consider them for your other car.

Last edited:
I would say that any tire that lasts 30k on ANY vehicle are crappy performace tires.

Doesn't mean that they're terrible tires, but they belong on a minivan, NOT AN NSX.

But it's your car. Clearly grip isn't important to you. To each his own.

I guess when road noise and wear are what you report on, that it what is important to you. Those tires are probably a good choice then!

Last edited:
Maybe they last THAT long because you don't dare to drive them a little bit faster through the turns like other tires. :wink:

Maybe they last THAT long because you don't dare to drive them a little bit faster through the turns

Here we go with the snide, punk-a** comments again. You know nothing whatsoever about these tires. If you read through the reviews of actual use, you would see that I have been above 130mph on these tires.

I would say that any tire that lasts 30k on ANY vehicle are crappy performance tires. Doesnt meant that theyre terrible tires, but they belong on a minivan, NOT AN NSX.

These are W-rated high-performance tires about which you know absolutely nothing. Please refrain from commenting on topics about which you know absolutely nothing.

Clearly grip isn't important to you.

Please point out where exactly I say this. If you bother to read the thread, you will see where I state the opposite.

I guess when road noise and wear are what you report on, that it what is important to you.

Those qualities are important to me - they're not the only qualities, but they are important qualities.

Those tires are probably a good choice then!

They have been so far.

Biobanker, below you state (I can predict the future) that you drive your NSX nine months out of the year and that you only run R-compound tires. So you drive on R-compound tires in the snow? Or do you live downtown and take the train on the bad days?

Last edited:
Jett - if you think that grippy tires can possibly last 30k, you should stop sniffing the 87 octane that you have probably also been putting in your car. It is a physical impossibility. I drive on R compound tires, which ARE grippy and which dont last more than a few thousand kms on the street and maybe about 1000 km on the track, at absolute most (track dependant).

What makes a tire grip is its compound, and clearly you know absolutely jack about tires if you believe that a tire with a hard compound, which any tire that lasts over 15k miles has, can grip as well as a softer tire. They may not be horrible tires, but no hard tire is that good of a performance tire. It just defies physics.

I daily drive my NSX for 9 months of the year. To work everyday. To the track and back. To NSXPO and back. Rain. Shine. Most of the time with R compounds on, which ARE good tires that grip BECAUSE THEY'RE SOFT.

So either you've discovered the worlds only grippy hard tire or YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I put big money on the latter.

Guys this thread should be about 80 posts shorter than it is.Jett is giving us his opinion on these tires,no less no more. are We going to convince him that his experience is wrong? Silly.I apreciate that he went ahead and put concrete tires on the car,heck his will be the only data point with these tires,but I'm psyched to see how long they do last.If you want to prove your performance /grip gripes then I think you need to convince Jett to do an autox with you and your sticky tires,and him with his.

I am really not getting the R-compound comments. Nowhere do I state that the tires were better than R-compound tires - I never compared them to R-compound tires at all. For the most part, I compare them to tires I have actually owned, and refrain from comparing them to tires I have never actually owned. (Call me crazy). I would welcome data from a test facility but there isn't any. And to repeat, I personally don't have any track ambitions, but if anyone else does, that doesn't upset me or anything. If I did, I would buy racing tires and a set of '91-'93 wheels for track purposes.

I went back and looked, and I never said, for example, that black cars are better than yellow cars, or that automatics rule and sticks drool. So what part of the actual experience portion of the review makes you so emotional? What part of that makes you so angry that you make a bunch of snide comments directed at me, related to a tire you don't and have never owned and know nothing about?

Nowhere do I say that the tires are the grippiest tires ever. I merely state that they perform extremely well relative to handling, braking, wet weather, etc. and are reliable, quiet, wear evenly, etc., and that they are long-lasting and inexpensive. I never compared them to R-compound tires at all.

These seem like great qualities to me. What is it you find so upsetting? I guarantee you that if these tires were $399 each, the few people who would buy them would swear by them and the buzz would then be, well, they cost a lot more, but they last a lot longer.

Call me crazy, but I don't jump in and tell anyone what a loser they are at say, for example, the track, not solely but mainly because it is a topic I don't know anything about. I generally stick narrowly to topics about which I have actual knowledge, preferably in the form of actual experience. I am funny that way.

Last edited:
Guys this thread should be about 80 posts shorter than it is.

Agreed

Jett is giving us his opinion on these tires, no less no more.

Someone who has really been paying attention...

I appreciate that he went ahead and put concrete tires on the car, heck his will be the only data point with these tires, but I'm psyched to see how long they do last.

The "concrete" remark stings...

If you want to prove your performance /grip gripes then I think you need to convince Jett to do an autox with you and your sticky tires,and him with his.

Now you are freaking me out. [shudder] Autocross my car? Have you lost your mind? I don't want to break it.

Last edited:
Jett is giving us his opinion on these tires,no less no more. are We going to convince him that his experience is wrong?

I'm not sure about the first one. :wink: Jett has a Nexen tire in his Avatar, so he must be 'convinced' of this tire.
It could also be, just guessing, that he's related to Nexen tires in any way, that's what his Avatar could stand for. In this case it would be advertising (in the wrong forum IMO). That's what I think is the case. It's no miracle that some people contradict (harshly :)) the stated experience with Nexen tires. To each his own, ok but there's no reason to overreact if somebody is not with the Nexen tires. :rolleyes:

I love my Toyo All-Seasons on my 15/16 and my mixed up front and rears on my 17/17's.
One day I will have lots of money to buy a better tire and see what I'm missing.
For now, It works for me and thats all that counts.
Keep her cool boys.
Trev

Thanks for retracting the lightweight comment Jett; that did upset me.

Im going to move on and accept that the tires are working well for you.

I still do not believe that tires that can last so long can be a good performance tire but I will accept that you have not perceived that they lack performance.

Im sure that none of us drive our "performance" tires to their limit on the street anyways. At least I hope not.

to me, it's clear that Jett has some kind of agenda trying to promote those Nexen tires. Maybe he works for that company or he's linked to the sales of that brand. who knows ? Jett also does not know much about tracks or autocrosses for that matter, basing this from his own comments.

Yes, it is possible to put 87 octane fuel in an NSX, have Nexens tires, autozone breakpads, jiffy lube oil changes. It's also possible to eat a Filet Mignon with plasticware, but then what's the point ?

I use mid grade and eat my steaks right on the grill!
Why use more than you need!
LOL
Try a tank or a few gallons of midgrade, then fill up with premium, Wow, what a difference, now thats got to be the cheapest h.p. upgrade for an nsx!
Trev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back