• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Secret Tire Revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
everything is in my post. Your time would be spent more diligently by re-reading it instead of typing wild speculations about unsafe products and conspiracy theories.

Opinions without facts to back them up are useless.

Recognize this quote? So you have the facts, but you're not tellin', because the facts are "proprietary". I would love to have the facts here, but I take it that you are unwilling to name the company.

Last edited:
it's none of your business.

If a company has information on a potentially unsafe product that I am considering using, then it is my business. I need that data because my life may depend on it. If I were to beg for information that could save my life, would you give it to me? I am willing to beg. Please, please, sir, I am begging you, will you show me the data? You could sneak it to me. I wouldn't even know who you were. We could arrange for a drop somewhere, I would never even see you. Or would you rather let me die?

Recognize this quote? So you have the facts, but you're not tellin', because the facts are "proprietary". I would love to have the facts here, but I take it that you are unwilling to name the company. It wouldn't be IMSA, would it?

yes I do and agree with it. I hope you understand the difference between not having facts and not divulging proprietary informaiton on a public forum.

to go back on the topic, putting cheap tires on your NSX is your call. Choosing not to on mine or any of my vehicles is my call. As a general rule, you get what you paid for. Let's just say that cheap tires will only satisfy your wallet and take away from the "NSX experience".

If a company has information on a potentially unsafe product that I am considering using, then it is my business. I just need that data because my life may depend on it. If I were to beg for information that may save my life, would you give it to me? I am willing to beg. Please, please, sir, I am begging you, will you show me the data? You could sneak it to me. I wouldn't even know who you were. We could arrange for a drop somewhere, I would never even see you. Or would you rather let me die?

I never said these tire were unsafe. I fail to understand were/how and why you came up with this. I test tires for their handling performance, not their safety. So all your discussion about safety with me is a moot point.

I never said these tire were unsafe. I fail to understand were/how and why you came up with this. I test tires for their handling performance, not their safety. So all your discussion about safety with me is a moot point.

Oh, that's different then! I apologize for thinking that your company was endangering public safety by withholding information from NHTSA. Why didn't you just say in the beginning that discussing tire safety with you was a moot point? If you had told me in the beginning that that you had no expertise whatsoever with regard to tire safety, all of this unpleasantness could have been avoided! Please accept my sincere apology, sir, and thank you for putting things back on topic! (I will also remove the company reference to protect your privacy. You might also consider editing post number five on page two of this thread.)

Last edited:
Oh, that's different then! Why didn't you just say so in the beginning? If you had told me in the beginning that that you didn't know anything about tire safety, all of this unpleasantness could have been avoided!

Sorry, but I'm not responsible nor required to spell everything out to you. IMHO, you are really assuming too much too often. As a friendly advice, I would strongly advise you to come off your high horse with folks like nsxtasy and others. FWIW, these guys have been around for a LONG time and have contributed to the NSX community more than you and I combined will ever will. Plus, they dont mind sharing their experience, all you have to do is ask and listen. Their answer you might not like, but then why did you ask in the first place. If it's confirmation that you're looking for, then you need to look elsewhere. This is a forum where healthy discussion is held. If everyone would agree all the time, then there'd be no discussion.
Good luck with your tires, and please do share your experience with them after a few months of ownership.

Oh, that's different then! I apologize for thinking that your company was endangering public safety by withholding information from NHTSA. Why didn't you just say in the beginning that discussing tire safety with you was a moot point? If you had told me in the beginning that that you didn't know anything at all whatsoever about tire safety, all of this unpleasantness could have been avoided! Please accept my sincere apology, sir, and thank you for putting things back on topic!

there is no need to apologize to me. I think all we had was a misunderstanding which is now resolved. Good luck

Sorry, but I'm not responsible nor required to spell everything out to you. IMHO, you are really assuming too much too often. As a friendly advice, I would strongly advise you to come off your high horse with folks like nsxtasy and others. FWIW, these guys have been around for a LONG time and have contributed to the NSX community more than you and I combined will ever will. Plus, they dont mind sharing their experience, all you have to do is ask and listen. Their answer you might not like, but then why did you ask in the first place. If it's confirmation that you're looking for, then you need to look elsewhere. This is a forum where healthy discussion is held. If everyone would agree all the time, then there'd be no discussion.
Good luck with your tires, and please do share your experience with them after a few months of ownership.

Thank you for your sage advice, sir. I know you mean well. I am not intentionally being mean to NSXtasy, and believe it or not I rarely engage in a discussion with him, although you can't swing a cat around here without bumping into one of his opinions. I don't go looking for him, try to navigate around him, and usually only say anything to him when he expresses an uninformed opinion on one of my personal threads about a topic which he knows nothing about. I mostly leave him alone on his other threads, and boy, there are a lot of them, sir, and I have a life and have other things to do, like work and stuff, so who has the time? Anyway, he gets mad when I point out exactly why he doesn't know anything about the topic he is discussing. So then he gets his feelings hurt and lashes out, verbally speaking. And then his buddies come along to protect him. Kinda like that group of kids in the old neighborhood growing up, only the one kid was retarded, so his brother and his brother's buddies kinda looked after him, because he wasn't severely retarded, just a little bit retarded but not so much that anybody would notice right away, so he tended to get himself in trouble by running off at the mouth when he really didn't know what he was talking about sometimes, but he didn't really mean anything by it, you know? Kinda like that. But we will just keep that between you and me. Anyway, thank you again for your expert advice because I consider yours an expert opinion and I will certainly give some thought to the matter. And I won't say anything again about where you work or anything, so don't worry, there aren't gonna be any subpoenas showing up at your door at work or anything, okay? So have a good night and God Bless...

Last edited:
Thank you for your sage advice, sir. I know you mean well. I am not intentionally being mean to NSXtasy, and believe it or not I rarely engage in a discussion with him, although you can't swing a cat around here without bumping into one of his opinions. I don't go looking for him and usually only say anything to him when he expresses an uninformed opinion on one of my personal threads about a topic which he knows nothing about. I mostly leave him alone on his other threads, and boy, there are a lot of them, sir. He gets mad when I point out exactly why he doesn't know anything about the topic he is discussing. So then he gets his feelings hurt and lashes out, verbally speaking. And then his buddies come along to protect him. Kinda like that group of kids in the neighborhood where you grew up, only the one kid was retarded, so his brother and his brother's buddies kinda watched his back, because he wasn't severely retarded, just a little bit retarded but not so much that anybody would notice right away, so he tended to get himself in trouble by running off at the mouth when he don't really know what he is talking about sometimes, but he didn't really mean anything by it, you know? Kinda like that. But we will just keep that between you and me. Anyway, thank you again for your expert advice because I consider yours an expert opinion and I will certainly give some thought to the matter. And I won't say anything again about where you work or anything, so don't worry, there aren't gonna be any subpoenas showing up at your door at work or anything, okay? So have a good night and God Bless...
Talk about "sensitivity" and brainless bullshit, you've just shown yourself to be "king", your reference to "retarded" shows your full mental capacity and comprehension of things that you are expert in. I will make sure not to fly into whatever airport that you're an air traffic controller in, please let us know which facility to avoid.

What? I was just offering my apology to apapada. Can't a guy offer an apology around here without being attacked? Let's take apapada's advice and get this thread back on topic.

I don't discuss ATC.

Last edited:
Jett man you lost me to:rolleyes: Smugness goes only so far,but you obviously like to really break em.:frown:

Jett man you lost me to Smugness goes only so far,but you obviously like to really break em.

Sorry, docjohn, I know you to be a wise individual. At first I thought that just the tires would get flamed, but boy was I wrong! Frankly, I have been very surprised at how nasty and personal the discussion became. I would leave them alone if they didn't keep showing up to help their buddies by attacking me instead of just discussing the topic. I was willing to listen to apapada because he indicated having genuine expertise. I will still accept any data or actual experience, either positive or negative, which relates to the topic. I honestly don't care if someone provides negative feedback about the tires, other than just to say they suck. However, I won't lay down for nasty personal slurs that have nothing to do with anything. If they want to dish it out they should be able to take it. I have never said anything to anyone who hasn't offered their opinion as fact or simply attacked me first. I have tried really hard to steer this thread back to the topic, but won't countenance anyone who shows up to say nasty things to me, then accuse me of being mean. They punch me in the nose, then cry foul because I give them two black eyes? What did they think was going to happen? No double standards.

By the way, I like all the yellow trim on your car. Is it still like that? It looks really cool.

Last edited:
Talk about "sensitivity" and brainless bullshit, you've just shown yourself to be "king", your reference to "retarded" shows your full mental capacity and comprehension of things that you are expert in.

This reminds me of your first contribution. You show up just to make nasty comments. Nonetheless, I am glad you have shared your feelings. Sometimes it is better to just let it all out. You get that emotional release and all. I hope you feel better now that you have gotten that off your chest.

Now, do you have any data, test reports, comparison charts, or reviews of the Nexen N3000 to offer? It wouldn't have to be your own review, you could post a link to someone else's.

Last edited:
If you do not push the car too hard it probably does not matter what tires you use.This car can snap oversteer if provoked and I would venture to say lesser tires than oem would lower the threshold to "loosing it". That could be a very expensive lesson to learn.The secret is be careful with lesser tires.

Jett, you don't listen to any of the Nsx Prime comments and do your own thing,
so why do you even ask for advise?
And your Threads are like essays. Get a life.

You get what you pay for. -not always true, but most of the time is.

Keep in mind:

Tires are the only safety/performance part on your car that is in direct contact with the ground.

No matter how good your suspension, brakes, HP, etc.. you have, if you cannot control the car or change it's direction, you cannot do anything.

Always get good tires.

wow all this drama sounds like an episode from honda-tech...:biggrin:

Honestly it comes down to what you want to do in life Jett. If it makes you happy that you saved some dough and got some long lasting tires... so be it. But I will say this... if you do track your car, which every NSX owner should... buy some good tires that will grip...

If you do not push the car too hard it probably does not matter what tires you use.This car can snap oversteer if provoked and I would venture to say lesser tires than oem would lower the threshold to "loosing it". That could be a very expensive lesson to learn.The secret is be careful with lesser tires.

I think this person means well. When taken at face value this appears to be "good advice". At the same time, it seems to imply that the tires are "lesser". The tires are W-rated and the design has been manufacturer tested and apparently meets US specs for safety. I am willing to try them and see if they perform well, not just okay, but perform well compared to other tires within their category.

You get what you pay for. -not always true, but most of the time is.
Keep in mind: Tires are the only safety/performance part on your car that is in direct contact with the ground. No matter how good your suspension, brakes, HP, etc.. you have, if you cannot control the car or change it's direction, you cannot do anything. Always get good tires.

Well, I believe that the first sentence is true except when it isn't. So we are in agreement except when we aren't. As for the rest, it is advice which I feel I have been taking all along. I researched the tires as thoroughly as possible before I bought them. I don't think anyone has ever done more research on the topic of any one particular tire as I have on these. I have never researched a tire more. The tires are rated for their application, have been manufacturer tested and apparently meet US specs for safety. I am trying them to see if they perform well, not just okay, but perform well compared to other tires which I have owned in the high-performance category. Experience will tell if they actually perform well, not just okay, but perform well within the category.

Honestly it comes down to what you want to do in life Jett. If it makes you happy that you saved some dough and got some long lasting tires... so be it. But I will say this... if you do track your car, which every NSX owner should... buy some good tires that will grip...

I think this person means well, while at the same time seems to imply that the tires aren't any good. They are designed, tested and rated as high-performance tires. I think I mentioned that I don't track my car, and really don't have any track intentions, but if I were to track my car, I would buy racing tires and an extra set of wheels.

Jett, you don't listen to any of the Nsx Prime comments and do your own thing, so why do you even ask for advise? And your Threads are like essays. Get a life.

Now this one is a little shrill. First of all, I really didn't ask for advice, I merely posted what I was thinking, on the now disproved theory that someone might actually have some advice on the tires being discussed. So far, no actual information has yet been presented which reflects on the actual tires in question. No one has yet been able to tell me anything either bad or good about the tires. So listen to what? Don't buy them because they suck, because I said so? This is advice? This doesn't even rise to the level of an opinion, let alone advice. I researched these tires as thoroughly as possible. I am very receptive to informed, insightful comments when available. Which part of your comments is informative or insightful? What do these types of comments do to advance the tire discussion? What did I do to upset you so much? I am completely serious about this question. Are you upset because I bought a set of tires that are rated for their application? Are you upset because I bought a set of tires that are rated for their application after someone told me not to? Are you upset because I bought a set of tires that are different than yours? Are you upset because I bought them after someone who didn't know anything whatsoever about them told me not to? Please specify exactly what is so upsetting to you.

Last edited:
When you see the word NSX, you think high, superior performance, exotic sports car, porsche, ferarri, Senna, etc.

To put anything "budget" on this pure performance machine would be a shame. These are just my opinion.

Jon

If they turned out to be really great, but cost a lot more, would it no longer be a shame?

When I was at the shopping center today, I came across an NSX sitting in the back of the parking lot. Of course, I had to drive over and have a look. It was an early coupe, red with black top, really nice condition. As I was looking the owner walked up. He was a bit younger than me, and had his small daughter with him. As we were talking, I noticed he was running an unfamiliar brand of tire I had never even heard of. So I asked him why he was willing to degrade the performance of his car just to save a few bucks. He seemed surprised, and said his friend had run them on a BMW once and had said that they were great. I told him that he was being ignorant, that you get what you pay for and that he should pay more more for a tire that didn't last as long, because those are always better. Why was he taking a chance on a tire that isn't specifically recommended by Honda? Did he think he knew more than the Honda engineers? I told him that he shouldn't be such a poser, trying to fool people into thinking he was rich with a fine car like that, but with inexpensive tires on the car, how does he expect to pull that off? Everybody's gonna know that he is just a working stiff. He asked me what I knew about the tires, so I told him. "Nothing. I have never even heard of them before." He kept insisting that the tires had been performing well in the short time he had owned them. Finally, I had to warn him that if he wasn't careful he could end up dead in a ditch somewhere. His little girl started crying when I told him that, and he got angry, but it was for her own good. I was trying to help him. I do that a lot. I go around helping people. No need to thank me, that's just the kind of guy I am, a guy that likes helping people. Still, some people never listen.

Last edited:
Hi Jon,
No, I really meant to say "if they turned out to be great and cost a lot more". I think it loses something in the translation. (You are from another country, aren't you?) Your previous post implies that they are "budget", and therefore inferior, because they cost less than the usual recommendations. So if they are automatically inferior by being less expensive, then are they automatically superior by being more expensive?

I have about 106,000 miles on my car, and I am currently racking up about 12,000 miles a year, but I will probably end up putting 24,000 or more on the car in the next 12 months.

Thanks for the total lack of personal insults. I'm not used to it...

Well, for the one guy who actually cares (don't worry, I won't tell anyone who you are), I just dropped the car off at the installer. I will miss seeing that beautiful orange spare, which was already beginning to lose inflation. I should get the car back tomorrow, so we shall see how it goes.

The stock market must have heard that I intended to install Nexen tires on my car. How else can you explain Tuesday's sudden drop? I also expect global warming to accelerate.

I walked home from the installer, for humility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back