• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Secret Tire Revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about the first one. Jett has a Nexen tire in his Avatar, so he must be 'convinced' of this tire.

I do really like them so far...

It could also be, just guessing, that he's related to Nexen tires in any way, that's what his Avatar could stand for. In this case it would be advertising (in the wrong forum IMO). That's what I think is the case.

...to me, it's clear that Jett has some kind of agenda trying to promote those Nexen tires. Maybe he works for that company or he's linked to the sales of that brand. who knows ? Jett also does not know much about tracks or autocrosses for that matter, basing this from his own comments.

You've got to be kidding...I would think you weren't serious except there are TWO of you making these hillbilly comments. These are the kind of arguments politicians make when they are playing on your emotions to get you to vote for them.

It's no miracle that some people contradict (harshly) the stated experience with Nexen tires.

I don't see how anyone here can contradict the stated experience - no one on this board has ever owned them, and thus have no experience with them. The few new comments I see that have been made recently on other boards are favorable, such as this comment:

"I've got the 215/35/ZR18 Nexens on my Tenzo's and they are working good, traction is decent and they seem to be wearing really well. They are a very quiet tire and even in wet conditions they have worked good for me. Just my opinion... I wonder how they'll do in snow... just kidding."

Jett also does not know much about tracks or autocrosses for that matter, basing this from his own comments.

You have actually been reading the material, haven't you? I don't know anything about tracks or autocrosses. I have set a lifetime goal for myself of not knowing anything about them. So far I am "on track" to reach my life goals...

To each his own, ok but there's no reason to overreact if somebody is not with the Nexen tires.

I agree.

And I do get my oil changed at Jiffy Lube. Maybe I missed something. Do they pour the oil wrong?

Jett: at what speed do you tke "fun curves", lets say an "S" curve through a mountain road near NC on your memorial day trip.

Or that tunnel through a downtown area?

You mentioned you have taken the car to 130mph, I have done that in my daily driven 4 dr Civic LX (base model). I drive on cheap Kuhmo's on that car. i have had that car at speed, but i would never take a corner with those tires at more than 50.

However, on my NSX i spent the amount my rear tires that you did on all 4!!! (almost $250 each for 275/35/19 BFG KDW NT2) but i do push that car- There are several S bends on my way home on back roads that i take at 80mph.

Not only that but i would like to know how well they stop. A large part of braking involves the co-efficient of friction between the ground and the point of contact with the tire. This goes back to the R-compound mentioned above. And thus the stickier the tire the better braking ability.

I'm Sure you are well aware of this due to the ENORMOUS amounts of research you have probably done to back yourself on this thread- I would just like your insight....

See guys - you can ask questions in a logical way and not fight- there is too much love between us owners to fight- we should be commrades.... lol:smile: :wink:

I must say Jett you are one of the few members here who takes the time to pointedly respond to each individuals comments that matters to you most,which is nice,and helps keep the discussion on point.I think you and Hugh should have a discusssion about tire wear as he puts like 40k /yr on his car.In fact I think the folks who really drive the car all year should have a ongoing thread about thier tire experience.Guys like me who put less that 5k /yr can go for a long time between tire changes.

You've got to be kidding...I would think you weren't serious except there are TWO of you making these hillbilly comments. These are the kind of arguments politicians make when they are playing on your emotions to get you to vote for them.
I don't see how anyone here can contradict the stated experience - no one on this board has ever owned them, and thus have no experience with them.

LOL! This thread gets more and more amusing. I hoped to calm things down but this was obiously not the case. :D

Are you going to tell us that those who state a comment about the Nexen tires have to buy a set and try it out? Why don't you arrange a test drive with the Nexen tires so we don't have to buy them first (with the potential risk of throwing our money out of the window) as I still assume that you're very close to Nexen tires and this thread is pure advertisement. :wink:

My very personal opinion about any other tire than top-end brands like Bridgestone and others: If you like to drive the car fast all other tires like Wan-Li or Rubi-Rubi or Radiergummi are not what the NSX deserves. Kumho for example: That has been with Kumho this way and changed a little bit (but only by a little) by their effort to do racing.

Which still lets me assume that this thread is so long just because it's an advertisement for Nexen tires and the more contradictionary the thread gets the more it's advertisement. :wink:

As I've said to each his own. :)

95gsrturbo, you are a girl, aren't you? You must be one of the few girls on this board since your other car is a 4 dr Civic LX and you use phrases like "fun curves". I will go easy on you since you are a girl.

at what speed do you take "fun curves", lets say an "S" curve through a mountain road near NC on your memorial day trip.

Varies depending on the curve.

Or that tunnel through a downtown area?

The only tunnel I traverse regularly is the one at the end of I-66 in Rosslyn, VA. It is a sweeping right-hander. I usually come through there at 70 at 11:30 pm, then merge right to take the 110 South exit.

You mentioned you have taken the car to 130mph, I have done that in my daily driven 4 dr Civic LX (base model).

Honey, are you sure you did 130mph in the Civic? This sounds a little exaggerated to me, particularly for a stock base model Civic. Okay, for a moment I will assume it is literally true. The fact is that 130mph can be done safely in an NSX in the right location, but not in a Civic. You really shouldn't drive a car like that so fast - it is just too lightweight of a car. Your dad would be sick about it if he knew - since I am a dad, I know how I would feel. Also, have you asked your dad if he would buy you a safer car for a daily driver? I wouldn't feel right about it if my daughter was driving one of those beer cans.

I drive on cheap Kuhmo's on that car. i have had that car at speed, but i would never take a corner with those tires at more than 50.

Well, there are good Kumho tires, and there are cheap Kumho tires. I had Kumho ASXs on my Mustang; they were great all-weather tires. But if your dad makes you drive on the cheap ones, and he won't get you a decent car for a daily driver, maybe he would buy you better ones for Christmas?

However, on my NSX i spent the amount my rear tires that you did on all 4!!! (almost $250 each for 275/35/19 BFG KDW NT2)

You wouldn't be exaggerating again, would you? On the one hand you drive a base-model Civic, on the other hand you drive an NSX? Are you sure the NSX isn't your Dad's car? Okay, for a moment I will assume that you are being truthful, since you say you bought the tires. You must have saved your babysitting money a long time to buy those. I am not trying to be mean, but you could have spent that money a lot more wisely. Here's a tip for when you grow up: It's not how much money you spend that counts, what counts is spending your money wisely.

...but i do push that car- There are several S bends on my way home on back roads that i take at 80mph.

My normal max speed on my drive home late at night is 90mph on the best section of highway - a concrete section on Maryland rte 50 that starts about 3/4 mile before the 197 interchange.) I really don't have any S-curves that I normally encounter - my commute is too urban.

Sweetie, you really should be more careful. When I mention going fast "in the right location", 80mph on back roads isn't the right location. Just because you have an NSX doesn't mean you should drive irresponsibly. You could end up in the trees easily, and your parents would be heartbroken.

Not only that but i would like to know how well they stop.

Now you are thinking like a smart girl! Braking hasn't been a problem with these tires. I have had absolute no episodes of poor stopping performance, to include wet weather performance. I am impressed with your concern for safety here, but I still wish you would be more careful.

I'm Sure you are well aware of this due to the ENORMOUS amounts of research you have probably done to back yourself on this thread- I would just like your insight....

I attempted to research them quite extensively. I won't bore you with repeating the details of it though, you can go back and read them yourself if you want to. But If you look back you will see that these tires were (and are) very new to the market, and very little objective data was (or is) available, this being even more true at the time I installed them. I welcome either objective data or subjective reviews of the tires themselves from anyone who has actually owned them. So far I have only my own subjective experience and a few generally positive but brief comments made by others who have actually owned the Nexen N3000s.

Honey, please write me back and tell me you will slow down.

Last edited:
I must say Jett you are one of the few members here who takes the time to pointedly respond to each individuals comments that matters to you most,which is nice,and helps keep the discussion on point.I think you and Hugh should have a discusssion about tire wear as he puts like 40k /yr on his car.In fact I think the folks who really drive the car all year should have a ongoing thread about thier tire experience.Guys like me who put less that 5k /yr can go for a long time between tire changes.

Docjohn, an ongoing discussion about longer-mileage tires would be great, but I don't think Hugh would want to endure the punishment I endure just for talking about it. Sometimes it is fun, but sometimes the ignorant comments just get old.

I do think you hit the core point of the discussion here. What is right for someone who does less than 5000 miles a year is very different than what is right for someone who does 40000 miles a year (which may be me from here on out). If someone else runs R-compound tires on their garage queen, that can be a good choice, it is perfectly fine for them. I don't have a problem with it.

The whole point of this tire review is just to present something that might work for us high-annual-miles drivers. It isn't even a recommendation. It is just: here it is, here is how it worked out - nothing more, nothing less.

LOL! This thread gets more and more amusing.

I agree

Are you going to tell us that those who state a comment about the Nexen tires have to buy a set and try it out?

No, but you should be able to point to objective data or a review by someone who actually owns the Nexen N3000s. To comment on them based on how you feel isn't an opinion, it's an emotion.

Why don't you arrange a test drive with the Nexen tires so we don't have to buy them first (with the potential risk of throwing our money out of the window)...

That is exactly what I am doing right now. It is taking me months and months to wear them out, so it is tough sledding, to borrow a swiss phrase. But I am driving on them as much as possible.

...as I still assume that you're very close to Nexen tires and this thread is pure advertisement.

You are incorrect. I am just a guy who bought them. I have no affiliation whatsoever with Nexen tire company.

My very personal opinion about any other tire than top-end brands like Bridgestone and others: If you like to drive the car fast all other tires like Wan-Li or Rubi-Rubi or Radiergummi are not what the NSX deserves. Kumho for example: That has been with Kumho this way and changed a little bit (but only by a little) by their effort to do racing.

Yours is not an opinion, it is an emotion, based on how you feel. You have absolutely no data or review information to back up your assertion.

Which still lets me assume that this thread is so long just because it's an advertisement for Nexen tires and the more contradictionary* the thread gets the more it's advertisement.

The thread is so long because men are downright emotional about tires. And oil filters. And transmissions. We are a bunch of girls.

*By "contradictionary" I assume you were thinking "contradictory" but meant "controversial". Language barrier, but I think you have invented a new word! I like it! Contradictionary. I like the sound of it. I like the way it rolls off the tongue. Those clever Swiss! Why the Swiss are the people who brought us the, uh, neutrality! So clearly the Swiss have superior logical abilities. But since the Swiss are the ones who invented neutrality, much like Al Gore and the internet, it seems very contradictionary that GoldNSX has an emotion about a tire he has never owned. How very unSwiss.

Last edited:
Well, gotta go to work now. My goal for this evening is to use the word "contradictionary" in a sentence as a part of natural conversation.

I ran by Barnes & Nobles this afternoon and picked up Oliver North's new book called Contradictionary. Ha! :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back