• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sherif's Mentally-ill Son Beaten and Tasered to Death by 6 Rouge Cops

The video is horrible to watch not so much because of the graphic nature,but because you can hear him calling out for his dad. Terrible to listen to this man call for his father while he is being beaten and tasered to death.

A shocking video may be released allegedly showing cops tasering and beating the homeless man to passing away who they claim had been resisting arrest.

Though the video isn't clear, eye witnesses state the homeless man -- Kelly Thomas, 37 - was not able to put up any opposition and was lying on the floor on his front once the attack took place upon July 5.

His screams and whines for his father could be heard amid the tasering sounds.Video of Cops Beating and Tasering Mentally-ill Man to Death

That is really sad. These a--holes need to be hung by their nuts tazered and beaten like they did to Thomas. Cops should not have the right to do something like that. They make good cops look bad with their action. It's like thugs getting law enforcement jobs nowadays...doesn't make sense. I thought all aspiring officers need to pass a mental diagnosis. Who passed these turds.

Well, if he was trying to resist then wouldn't it be proper police procedures to subdue the man?

You said it best...

if someone were resisting arrest... proper police procedures to subdue:
(quick take down, effective restraint, reduce harm to all parties involved, non-lethal methods, etc... arrest 101 class)

-
Undeniable fact: this human being was beaten to death

US Constitition's 5th amendment: A person is not to be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of the law.

Manslaughter is not due process. The officers must face felony charges.
-

Heard the father on the radio a couple weeks ago after it happened. They were talking about how the son who was beaten was 135lbs, and one of the officers (affectionately known as the "Terminator" in Orange County circles) was about 230lbs. Also talked about how this group and specifically that guy have had issues before, namely roughing up and slamming citizens against their squad cars for recording them on their phone during other busts. Think those are on youtube somewhere too but not sure. Dad said he didn't care about money and what they offered him in compensation... that he wouldn't stop until those involved and the chief of the Fullerton department burned for what happened. Heads will roll before he is all done, especially with his background. Good for him.

... Dad said he didn't care about money and what they offered him in compensation... that he wouldn't stop until those involved and the chief of the Fullerton department burned for what happened. Heads will roll before he is all done, especially with his background. Good for him.
+1, good for him.

I have heard that right before death in certain situations you either call out for your mommy or daddy.

It is sad to see this. and in our country.

sad sad sad. my prayers go out to his family.

to hear your son say his last words is heart wrenching

Who edits that website? The article seems very broken, and sometimes incoherent- it's like the writer is using google translate to assemble the materials.

"The video was shot with a student in Fullerton, Ca. Kelly Thomas was hit so badly he passed away in hospital several times later."

Public servants abusing tax payers and those they are charged to protect and serve?

Who woulda thought?

I hope these scumbags get what is coming to them. Condolences to the father. :(

heard the father on the radio a couple weeks ago after it happened. They were talking about how the son who was beaten was 135lbs, and one of the officers (affectionately known as the "terminator" in orange county circles) was about 230lbs. Also talked about how this group and specifically that guy have had issues before, namely roughing up and slamming citizens against their squad cars for recording them on their phone during other busts. Think those are on youtube somewhere too but not sure. Dad said he didn't care about money and what they offered him in compensation... That he wouldn't stop until those involved and the chief of the fullerton department burned for what happened. Heads will roll before he is all done, especially with his background. Good for him.

+ 1000000

I have a question. The victims Father lives nearby. Why was this man homeless?

How does that happen?

Shouldn't his Father have stepped up to help him BEFORE he was beaten to death?

I can not imagine a circumstance where I would accept my daughter living on the street. Mental illness is unbelievably sad, but there are treatments, and there are facilities to treat people right? Isn't that what we are supposed to do for our kids?

How does that happen?

I can not imagine a circumstance where I would accept my daughter living on the street. Mental illness is unbelievably sad, but there are treatments, and there are facilities to treat people right? Isn't that what we are supposed to do for our kids?

I totally agree with you and that was my thought. I heard the dad has hired the best lawyer in town and is now suing the city and the police department. But he doesn't care about the money!!!!

How does that happen?

only speculation and only to play devil's advocate...

But it's possible family didn't know where the son was at and what his situation was/is. I didn't read too much about the father and the family, but, you never know.

Let me go out on a limb here.... WHY don't you guys wait until the investigation is done BEFORE you pass judgement and crucify the cops??? The news has reported the security camera caught the whole thing on video... not PART...not just audible.... there WILL be an investigation and if they are to be found in the wrong, they will be dealt with... I WILL BE the FIRST in line and call for their jobs if they IN FACT did wrong.... Even drug dealers, murderers and pedophiles get their days in court.... why not give these cops the same benefit...innocent until PROVEN guilty....

It kills me when people post some (possibly edited) half ass video then all the cop haters start wanting all cops crucified....

I think its pretty safe for me to say that 6 cops didn't just decide to walk up and kill an innocent homeless person.... I would bet the guy did SOMETHING illegal to attract the cops to him....

AGAIN..... if the cops were wrong.... they deserve to be punished and don't deserve to wear the badge..... BUT... at least wait and let the justice system work... IT WILL WORK !!!!

And by the way.... they will eventually release the security video.... There is an internal affairs investigation going on and they WONT jeopardize the investigation by releasing the video until the investigation is over... one way or another it will be released... either to show vindication for the cops... or to show evidence of wrong doing.... it will be seen.....

OK.. off my soap box...

only speculation and only to play devil's advocate...

But it's possible family didn't know where the son was at and what his situation was/is. I didn't read too much about the father and the family, but, you never know.

I'm a parent- and a pretty naive one at that (my daughter is only 2) but I know what my relationship with my parents is, and a week doesn't pass that we don't talk. I can't imagine a circumstance where my relationship with my daughter would be different.

I'm not trying to insinuate the father is after something other than justice for his son- but the fact that his son was homeless tells me that his life was tragic well before he was beaten to death. It just seems like the time for action was before the boy became indigent.

It's a sad story. Perhaps it could have been prevented.

P

I'm a parent- and a pretty naive one at that (my daughter is only 2) but I know what my relationship with my parents is, and a week doesn't pass that we don't talk. I can't imagine a circumstance where my relationship with my daughter would be different.

I'm not trying to insinuate the father is after something other than justice for his son- but the fact that his son was homeless tells me that his life was tragic well before he was beaten to death. It just seems like the time for action was before the boy became indigent.

It's a sad story. Perhaps it could have been prevented.

P

I was going to remain silent on this thread, but I now feel that recent replies have warranted a response from me.
I consider Ron Thomas (the father) a friend, although I have not seen or talked with him for some time.....
In 1999 I was getting out of an ugly divorce that left my 6 year old daughter somehat shy and withdrawn. I have always liked Martial Arts and I had recently started taking a Juijitsu class at a local community center. Ron Thomas was one of the instructors. The center opened up a concurrent kid's class, so I signed my daughter up for it so we could go to the classes together.
I started to get to know Ron and shared with him that my daughter was going through a tough time. Although he barely knew us, he invited us both to go on a nighttime Christmas cruise with him on his boat at a local harbor where his boat was docked.
Needless to say, my daughter had a great time and if I recall Ron even let her sit in the Captain's chair and steer.
When news of the tragedy first broke, I had lunch with my daughter (who's now 18) and told her the details. I asked her if she remembered Ron and her first words were "Y'mean the guy with the boat ?"
Yes, she still remembered.
The last time I saw Ron was 2003. I stopped by to visit a dojo where he was teaching.
Ron was always the strong, silent type with a heart of gold. I always knew him to be very pro military, pro law enforcement. In fact, there was a young man in the dojo who had recently become a local police officer. Ron always acted like this kid's big brother and would give him special one on one training in arrest tactics. The irony of this is now sickening.
Ron has a great relationship with his other kids, and apart from physically restraining someone in a locked room, how do you keep a 37 year old adult off the streets if that's where they want to be ?
The news seems to be full of absentee parents who suddenly appear to cash in on wrongdoings of others, but I can tell you that Ron Thomas is not that type of person.

I was going to remain silent on this thread, but I now feel that recent replies have warranted a response from me.
I consider Ron Thomas (the father) a friend, although I have not seen or talked with him for some time.....
In 1999 I was getting out of an ugly divorce that left my 6 year old daughter somehat shy and withdrawn. I have always liked Martial Arts and I had recently started taking a Juijitsu class at a local community center. Ron Thomas was one of the instructors. The center opened up a concurrent kid's class, so I signed my daughter up for it so we could go to the classes together.
I started to get to know Ron and shared with him that my daughter was going through a tough time. Although he barely knew us, he invited us both to go on a nighttime Christmas cruise with him on his boat at a local harbor where his boat was docked.
Needless to say, my daughter had a great time and if I recall Ron even let her sit in the Captain's chair and steer.
When news of the tragedy first broke, I had lunch with my daughter (who's now 18) and told her the details. I asked her if she remembered Ron and her first words were "Y'mean the guy with the boat ?"
Yes, she still remembered.
The last time I saw Ron was 2003. I stopped by to visit a dojo where he was teaching.
Ron was always the strong, silent type with a heart of gold. I always knew him to be very pro military, pro law enforcement. In fact, there was a young man in the dojo who had recently become a local police officer. Ron always acted like this kid's big brother and would give him special one on one training in arrest tactics. The irony of this is now sickening.
Ron has a great relationship with his other kids, and apart from physically restraining someone in a locked room, how do you keep a 37 year old adult off the streets if that's where they want to be ?
The news seems to be full of absentee parents who suddenly appear to cash in on wrongdoings of others, but I can tell you that Ron Thomas is not that type of person.

Without knowing anything about your friend other than these terrible circumstances- I hope he gets the justice he is seeking.

I'd hate to be in Mr. Thomas' shoes right now- Dealing with the loss of a son, maybe second guessing my relationship with him, and probably having lots of other peanut gallery parents second guessing the circumstances under which tragedy befell him.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have a 37yr old son who wanted to live on the streets, and then losing him to violence like this. As I said before I'm not trying to insinuate that he is after anything other than justice for his son- it's just hard to understand how the kid who had such a father could end up in such a circumstance. I think at a level it scares me- because I look into the future and want to believe that if i do a great job my kids will have great lives- and here is a man whom you regard as a great guy, and a good father and he just lost his son...

For any parents here who might read this- hug your kid if you get the chance. If you are estranged for some reason- reach out.

P

Without knowing anything about your friend other than these terrible circumstances- I hope he gets the justice he is seeking.

I'd hate to be in Mr. Thomas' shoes right now- Dealing with the loss of a son, maybe second guessing my relationship with him, and probably having lots of other peanut gallery parents second guessing the circumstances under which tragedy befell him.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have a 37yr old son who wanted to live on the streets, and then losing him to violence like this. As I said before I'm not trying to insinuate that he is after anything other than justice for his son- it's just hard to understand how the kid who had such a father could end up in such a circumstance. I think at a level it scares me- because I look into the future and want to believe that if i do a great job my kids will have great lives- and here is a man whom you regard as a great guy, and a good father and he just lost his son...

For any parents here who might read this- hug your kid if you get the chance. If you are estranged for some reason- reach out.

P
I don't know the full story, but from what I understand, his son was a full blown schziophrenic whose bewildering symptoms started to appear when he was in his 20's. From what Ron says in interviews, his son could function Ok if he took his meds, but there were times when he didn't, and that's why he could be found in the streets.
Again, knowing what kind of guy Ron is, this thing is really heartwrenching for me

There's got to be a word for a system where cops are often caught on camera doing illegal things and usually don't get in trouble for it.
I know the word isn't freedom, democracy, or justice.

Back