• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shifter lubricant

My CCU recently failed in my 1991. After removing the console to send the unit to BrianK I thought I would research what all needed to be lubricated while I it all apart. I noticed the service manual notes multiple lubrication points on the shifter mechanism. However, I cannot find the recommended lubricant - Silicone grease with molybdenum disulfide. I can find silicone grease alone & moly containing grease but can't seem to find a blended combination. I've check local autoshops (ie. O'Reilly) and hardware stores to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea of where to find the recommended grease? Or have any recommendations for a comparable alternative?

My CCU recently failed in my 1991. After removing the console to send the unit to BrianK I thought I would research what all needed to be lubricated while I it all apart. I noticed the service manual notes multiple lubrication points on the shifter mechanism. However, I cannot find the recommended lubricant - Silicone grease with molybdenum disulfide. I can find silicone grease alone & moly containing grease but can't seem to find a blended combination. I've check local autoshops (ie. O'Reilly) and hardware stores to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea of where to find the recommended grease? Or have any recommendations for a comparable alternative?

I'm not sure what everyone else used but I just used some of that greenish/blueish honda grease for the windows. Or I think any bearing high temp grease would work just fine. Just my view.

Just make sure you clean all the gunk out before putting fresh grease inside.

Stephen

Hi guys, I'm bringing this thread back from the grave. I recently noticed my shifter is getting a bit stiff to move and I think I'm going to have to lubricate it. I was trying to figure out what kind of grease to use. Reading through the service manual there's only mention of silicone grease for the shifter cable ends (on the transmission side) but for the shifter itself it just says "grease with molybdenum disulfide." I've also seen posts where some people just use white lithium grease.

I'm thinking I can use something like "Liqui Moly MoS2 long life grease". I would embed a pic but the website is rejecting my file.

81cedjGjSqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If anyone has better advice I would be interested in hearing it.

For what it is worth, Honda publishes a service bulletin # 99-030 which sets out the recommended materials for all Honda products. The last version of this bulletin that I have is dated 2018 Feb 18

A99-030 (carmd.com)

The bulletin lists lubricants and the two likely candidates for the shifter appear to be Moly 60 Paste and our favorite Mr Stinky Urea Grease. The part number for the Moly 60 used to be 08734-0001. However, that part number is no longer active and has been superseded by part # 08798-9010 which is the same part number for Molykote M77

08734-0001 - Genuine Honda Paste (Moly 60) (hondapartsnow.com)

Molykote M77 is a silicone based carrier with Moly in suspension so it seems to tick the silicone and moly boxes.

MOLYKOTE® M-77 Paste (dupont.com)

However, the service bulletin describes it for use on the back of brake pads so go figure!. Being silicone based it is more plastic / rubber friendly and I seem to recall that there are plastic bushes in the shift mechanism.

The part number for the urea grease is 08798-9002. In the the service bulletin Honda describes the urea grease as "used to lubricate parts with metal to metal and metal to plastic contact" so it would also appear to be plastic compatible. Urea was the lube used in this video

AHC Shop Hours - Acura NSX NA1 OEM Zanardi Shifter Upgrades with Science of Speed Type-S Knob - YouTube

As a suggestion, if you purchase either Honda listed product purchase it directly from a Honda discount parts vendor. The listings that I have seen on Amazon and EBay are generally higher price than the authorized Honda parts sources.

IIRC, when I rebuilt my shifter, I used PTFE Silicone grease (Super Lube) for the shifter ball and Aeroshell 33MS moly lube on the square piece. The 33MS is a lithium complex grease with 5% molybdenum disulphide- it is used for AR-15 barrel nuts, but I thought I would try it here since it has a good amount of moly like the Honda grease that was there before (likely the unobtanium gray Urea, which is fortified with moly- same stuff as in the window rails)

I have had great success with Mobil1 red synthetic grease. I used it on the bearings and slides in my Corvette door about 10 years ago. I had to take the door apart to fix a switch and found the grease was as new. I also use it in my tapered wheel bearings. I also used it on the shifter linkage in the NSX. Jerry

Thanks [MENTION=26435]Old Guy[/MENTION] for the link to the service bulletin. I have to say it's still hard to tell what exactly the right choice is. I ordered M77 and Urea just to have my bases covered.

Question on how to actually get the grease into the shifter--does the shifter need to come out of the car? Or can it somehow get applied as is?

I have never done it; but, from the video if you want to lubricate that central 'ball' and its surrounding bush that the actual shift lever pivots on I say the shifter has to come out and completely apart. I don't know whether the service manual calls for lubricating the swivel joints on the cable ends; but, if it does I don't know how you are going to do that without at least unbolting the mechanism from the car to access those points.

If you could somehow manage to swab grease on to the link ends and the central pivot you would still be dealing with new grease mixed with grunge. If you want to eliminate lubrication as a possible cause of stiff shifting, I think you pretty much need to completely remove, disassemble, clean and regrease.

Back