• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Shigeru Uehara speaking about new NSX concept

Hey guys so this morning I saw on youtube some sort of conference or something where Shigeru Uehara was talking about the NSX concept. Here's the video below. I have no clue what the was saying and it appears it may be related to the interior since he keeps touching that black roll of fabric.

Anyone who knows Japanese willing to give us a brief summer of what he was talking about?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6Y2IrP53ZOo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey guys so this morning I saw on youtube some sort of conference or something where Shigeru Uehara was talking about the NSX concept. Here's the video below. I have no clue what the was saying and it appears it may be related to the interior since he keeps touching that black roll of fabric.

Anyone who knows Japanese willing to give us a brief summer of what he was talking about?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6Y2IrP53ZOo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seems that this video was taken after the NSX concept was revealed to a group of people who are about to have a Q&A session.

The video starts while he is taking about the fact that there are still several clubs that are still active and successful within Japan (not sure if he is making references to racing teams, or regional car clubs), and that activities like reunions of clubs had been taking place prior to the incident in Fukushima.

Then he goes on talking about how he himself at one point was wondering what would happen to the NSX. With the prior announcement of the NSX and the introduction/presentation of the concept vehicle that was shown moments ago he feels that the NSX's legacy will be continued.

Then he rambles for close to 30-45 seconds without saying much, then he continues saying that after these 7 years since the NSX stopped being manufactured/sold he feels comforted by the fact that there are still owners who still drive their NSX's in stock form.

Then he goes on stating that typically when time passes vehicles tend to be modified/altered, and his impression is that the NSX seems to be the exception and that many owners still drive them in stock form and that he's glad for that fact.

Then he goes on making a cultural reference to bosozoku, saying that he's also glad that there are not many NSX's that have been modified to fit that mold/culture.

Then he goes on addressing that in general modding vehicles will affect reliability and that the desire for being able to drive the vehicle for a long time should be goal #1.

Then he goes on using engine's as an example, stating that manufacturers design the engines such that it won't encounter catastrophic failures when left in stock form, once the engines are modified the manufacturers can't make any guarantees in regards to the reliability of the engines.

As long as engines are left in stock form they are usually reliable for tens of thousands of kilometers, but when they are modified the balance is broken/tipped and the engine's life is compromised/shortened.

And his personal belief/philosophy that he has been sharing when he speaks is that leaving things stock is the better way to go, and that instead of modifying engines the money would be better spent becoming a better driver by attending track events or attending club activities.

As he mentioned earlier with the introduction of the NSX concept he feels that the original NSX's legacy will be continued, but from his generation point of view (as a member of the original NSX team) he feels that everything that they wanted to do with the first generation of the NSX was accomplished with the culmination of the NA2 NSX-R. So there is nothing left to do regarding that platform.

As such he feels that there is nothing that needs to be passed on from the 1st generation to the 2nd generation of the NSX.

So his wish has been that the NSX2.0 team be given full freedom, as a new car designed by a new set of engineers.

He personally has had zero contact with the NSX2.0 team, so he can't answer any questions regarding how the NSX2.0 itself is progressing.

Since the car is being designed in the US, his own thoughts is that it is a large/challenging undertaking for a new vehicle that follows a new line of thinking by a new set of designers/engineers, and that their desire (Honda Corporate Japan) is to not to interfere/burden that effort.

Then he goes on to say that he personally would support that effort, but then he retracts that statement saying that not providing his own feedback/opinions might be the best way given that it is a completely new vehicle that he does not want to disturb.

He finishes by stating that he's looking forward to the Q&A session that will be following and he finishes that portion of the presentation.

Yes thank you. What is bosozoku?

Probably hellaflush... :)

As he mentioned earlier with the introduction of the NSX concept he feels that the original NSX's legacy will be continued, but from his generation point of view (as a member of the original NSX team) he feels that everything that they wanted to do with the first generation of the NSX was accomplished with the culmination of the NA2 NSX-R. So there is nothing left to do regarding that platform.

As such he feels that there is nothing that needs to be passed on from the 1st generation to the 2nd generation of the NSX.

So his wish has been that the NSX2.0 team be given full freedom, as a new car designed by a new set of engineers.

He personally has had zero contact with the NSX2.0 team, so he can't answer any questions regarding how the NSX2.0 itself is progressing.

Since the car is being designed in the US, his own thoughts is that it is a large/challenging undertaking for a new vehicle that follows a new line of thinking by a new set of designers/engineers, and that their desire (Honda Corporate Japan) is to not to interfere/burden that effort.

Then he goes on to say that he personally would support that effort, but then he retracts that statement saying that not providing his own feedback/opinions might be the best way given that it is a completely new vehicle that he does not want to disturb.

This may be a very nice way of saying that he doesn't want anything to do with the new car...

While there is definitely something to be said about stock, and I appreciate his feelings, one of the beauties of the NSX is that the chassis is so well balanced and the car is all aluminum. So it responds very well to mods. And since Honda didn't update the car much, the aftermarket did it for them. If I had to keep my car bone stock, I'd have moved onto something else. So I added a Comptech supercharger, a titanium exhaust, a set of KW competitions and a stoptech BBK. This car is no longer the same. It feels like a very different car, and I can say, for sure, I like it better than it was.

I do however totally get his point regarding him wanting to see more people see the track instead or modifying their cars. He's basically saying "look, we engineered something that's already beyond your capability", and that does hold true for 98% of all sports car owners that modify their cars.

But there are goofs. I am not sure he's aware the engine has oiling issues at the limit, that the oil pump gears break, that the harmonic balancer can seperate, that the car suddenly changes toe under pressure, or that the chassis on T's flexes. So as good as the engineering was, it wasn't perfect. He's probably more frustrated with hellaflush than he is with non compliance beam bushings.

Thank you for the translation, 2slow2speed. It's interesting how passionate he is about keeping NSXs stock, and it's understandable as it was his baby and he poured his heart into it. I agree that the car in stock form is above most people's abilities, and as such I have not felt compelled to modify mine much other than a couple of minor cosmetic changes. :)

So would type-r conversions be ok with Mr. Uehara? Basicly owners here in the US are trying to build something that wasn't offered to them from Japan.

While there is definitely something to be said about stock, and I appreciate his feelings, one of the beauties of the NSX is that the chassis is so well balanced and the car is all aluminum. So it responds very well to mods. And since Honda didn't update the car much, the aftermarket did it for them. If I had to keep my car bone stock, I'd have moved onto something else. So I added a Comptech supercharger, a titanium exhaust, a set of KW competitions and a stoptech BBK. This car is no longer the same. It feels like a very different car, and I can say, for sure, I like it better than it was.

I do however totally get his point regarding him wanting to see more people see the track instead or modifying their cars. He's basically saying "look, we engineered something that's already beyond your capability", and that does hold true for 98% of all sports car owners that modify their cars.

But there are goofs. I am not sure he's aware the engine has oiling issues at the limit, that the oil pump gears break, that the harmonic balancer can seperate, that the car suddenly changes toe under pressure, or that the chassis on T's flexes. So as good as the engineering was, it wasn't perfect. He's probably more frustrated with hellaflush than he is with non compliance beam bushings.

I agree with some of the things you wrote but not everything. I think Mr Uehara was referring to balance, as you said it yourself - your car feels different from stock. I'm O.K. with upgrading my car a little in all departments equally so that way the car still feels the same but is better. If I can't change everything at the same rate I will not start.

Conversation at NSX Fiesta 2010:

Me: so tell me about the next gen NSX, Mr. Uehara?

Uehara: there will be no new NSX. there are no more plans.

Me: that's a shame. what did you think of the front engine ASC that was just cancelled?

Uehara: it was not NSX.

Me: understand. well, everyone here from the US would love another mid engine NSX.

Uehara: no new NSX.

Me: thank you, Mr. Uehara. I'm honored to talk with you again.

And then Ito comes out with news of the next gen NSX and all of the above turns out to be inaccurate. I wouldn't be surprised if Uehara is, in some respect, in touch with the present NSX 2.0 designers. It may be nice to have some linkage with the previous model.

Frankly, while I understand that driving lessons will make for a better driver and is the best use of money when it concerns a sports car like the NSX, surely there can be some accommodation for owners that enjoy tinkering with their toys. Especially in the hopes of making good, better. Case in point, Soichiro Honda's whole career.

IMHO, that attitude is part of the reason why there wasn't a consistent remodel/refresh, sales stunted, and the model eventually shut down. Maybe it's good that the US is having such a dominant role? Maybe we'll get a Type R?

I am not sure he's aware the engine has oiling issues at the limit, that the oil pump gears break, that the harmonic balancer can seperate, that the car suddenly changes toe under pressure, or that the chassis on T's flexes.
I'm pretty sure at least a couple of those issues were well understood by the engineering development team - not only understood, but measured.

Wow! I was way off on my assumption lol. Well thanks 2slow2speed for the summary. It's interesting, I would of thought he would of been heavily involved in the next NSX concept.

Yes thank you. What is bosozoku?

Just thought I'd make a clarification. As much as I hate Hellaflush. Bosozoku is much worse... Yes, be very glad that there aren't more bosozoku NSX's...

images

images

images

images

So would type-r conversions be ok with Mr. Uehara? Basicly owners here in the US are trying to build something that wasn't offered to them from Japan.

When I interacted with him he was keen on my conversion. He did mention that he likes the softer suspension for most applications.

Oh God.. What the.. I love hellaflush suddenly

Just thought I'd make a clarification. As much as I hate Hellaflush. Bosozoku is much worse... Yes, be very glad that there aren't more bosozoku NSX's...

I can't even imagine f'ing up an NSX into one of those abominations!

No wonder Uehara expressed relief.

Surely, these Bosozuko deserve their own Top Gear episode. I can easily imagine them turning one into a space shuttle or a submarine that they end up shooting.

The bosozoku are the wanabe gangsters. these are the idiots driving around mosquito sounding motorcycles, crossing red lights and all kinda traffic violations, some w/ bats, chains, just bad kids. They also drive (especially) VIP and low end drift/drag/sound cars. Just because you see plumbing exhaust doesnt mean they're bosozoku. Only seen a few U.S. idiots mess with them, ended up getting beat up pretty bad most the time. Its not one youre dealing with. Theyre really frowned on by the rest of society, but not much is done about it. THey personally pissed me off a number of times... once you live in japan long enough you'll see stuff like this. If you every pay a visit, stay away from these, especially if youre in the city (Kanagawa, tokyo, etc).

Last edited:
The bosozoku are the wanabe gangsters. these are the idiots driving around mosquito sounding motorcycles, crossing red lights and all kinda traffic violations, some w/ bats, chains, just bad kids. They also drive (especially) VIP and low end drift/drag/sound cars. Just because you see plumbing exhaust doesnt mean they're bosozoku. Only seen a few U.S. idiots mess with them, ended up getting beat up pretty bad most the time. Its not one youre dealing with. Theyre really frowned on by the rest of society, but not much is done about it. THey personally pissed me off a number of times... once you live in japan long enough you'll see stuff like this. If you every pay a visit, stay away from these, especially if youre in the city (Kanagawa, tokyo, etc).

they're everywhere, my small town, hiroshima, personally i'd like them all to be hit by buses, police do nothing.

Back