• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Short Video of Cano at the AROSC Time Trials at Willow Springs 1/17/16

This is my first video draft. I'll post a better, and a bit longer, version over the weekend!

https://youtu.be/K878azt-HcE

My best time was a 1:44 min. lap, which is not very fast when you have cars clocking 1:37's, but I did beat my 2015 best lap by 10 seconds. I'm still learning the fastest line and gear changes. I don't have Turns 3, 4 & 5 down yet. I need to downshift before turn 3 and carry a little more speed into 3, swing a little wider in preparation for turn 4 and let the car tack out after hitting the apex on turn 5. I also need to be in higher gear between turns 4 and 5 (was hitting the rev limiter which you could hear in the video) As for turn 8, I need to increase my speed from 110 to 120 if and when I can find the guts. Turn 9 is still a challenge since it is a decreasing radius curve. I still need to stay wide longer so that I can be on the gas before hitting the apex, so as give me more speed down the front straight.

I have one year of time trials under my belt, but I still have a lot to learn. My latest success in improving my driving skills has been due to some really helpful instruction from Jonathan (Track Addict) when he accompanied me at Chuckwalla a couple of months ago.

The next two AROSC track events includes their high performance driving school February 20th and 21st and their time trials at Spring Mountain on April 23 & 24.

Bring you car out! The AROSC events are safe, well run and most of all, a lot of fun!

Click on link link below to see the results for all car classes on Sunday. I came in 6th of all cars in all classes (Fourth if you eliminate the two Radical that they let on the track with us novices). Most satisfying part was, that I was faster that some cars in the faster car classes.

Last edited:
So this is at willow springs, but it says Spring Mountain. Also I thought you had a supercharger, was your bbk on for this? Were you using those Z2's?

My mistake, I don't know why I typed Spring Mountain. It's Willow Springs (Big Willow).

- - - Updated - - -

Mario,
The link doesn't work on my iphone. Not sure about any other browser, or on full size screen.
Congrats on setting a personal best.

Thanks Miner, I fixed the link so that you should be able to see the video. I'm still working on the improved video. I'll let you know when it is posted.

- - - Updated - - -

So this is at willow springs, but it says Spring Mountain. Also I thought you had a supercharger, was your bbk on for this? Were you using those Z2's?

Hey Michael,

No, I have a stock engine. Yes, the Brembo BBK were on the car, and they work great. I can now break much deeper into a turn, which helps lap times. I have the car in the shop now having new seat covers and a slot installed in the seat pad to allow the use of the sub-belt for my 5-point harness system. Now, I'm also pondering installing coil-overs, at the suggestion of a coupe of, people in-the-know! LOL

Join me at Spring Mountain?

Thats awesome your using you car out there on the track and putting to use that BBK. Much nicer to appreciate the expensive parts we buy. Would love to go but tracking cars are just too expensive. Too much for tires, will need to get pads and resurface rotors and such. My wheels are heavy and shitty and bangin up my old ass transmission. Next time im going to the track I am taking my motorcycles, it needs no upgrades or swap outs. It already has track/street tires, awesome brembo brakes/pads, top of the line suspension and is already super fast, ready to go out of the box. Will only have to spend money for the track day.

Thats awesome your using you car out there on the track and putting to use that BBK. Much nicer to appreciate the expensive parts we buy. Would love to go but tracking cars are just too expensive. Too much for tires, will need to get pads and resurface rotors and such. My wheels are heavy and shitty and bangin up my old ass transmission. Next time im going to the track I am taking my motorcycles, it needs no upgrades or swap outs. It already has track/street tires, awesome brembo brakes/pads, top of the line suspension and is already super fast, ready to go out of the box. Will only have to spend money for the track day.

Yes, you are right, it is expensive, particularly if you go all out! The Alfa Clubs has about 4-5 tracks event a year. Let me know if you change your mind!

- - - Updated - - -

Look fast and smooth Mario, way to go! Looks like you've done a great job on the car.
bc

Thanks Butch. I still have a few more mods and then I'm out of money:

Install the OS Geiken LSD, if they ever make them again. I have my fingers crossed.

Install my OS Geiken clutch, I have that part in hand.

Install Dave T's harmonic balancer

I'm thinking of replacing my Bilstien shocks, Zanardi springs, the Dali Street/Race front sway bar, and get coil-overs and a stiffer front sway bar.
Then have the car corner balanced.

PS, check your PM"s i re-sent the link to register for Spring Mountain

- - - Updated - - -

nice job Mario. I hope to be able to join you sometime.

Thanks Roger,

PS: The Alfa Club is running at Spring Mountain in Nevada April 23rd & 24th. It would great to have you join me! Let me know if you are interested and I will send you a link to register. If that is too far, they are running at Laguna Seca New Years weekend. However, its a 92 db limit on sound. I'm going to try and find my OEM exhaust unit an put it on for Laguna Seca

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Mario,

Great video, car sounds real nice, keep on improving.

Cheers from down under.

Ian Q.

Hello Ian, How are you doing down there? I believe it is summer down there right now. Have you been on any group drives or attended any meets lately? You need to post some pics of you and your car!Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

You are too nice of a guy to put your life in danger tracking a motor cycle! Tracking a motor cycle is too dangerous in my opinion. You have no protection in a crash except a helmet and some protective clothing/gear. But, I know you are going to go anyway, so be carefull!

Last edited:
Good stuff Mario! Looks like you're having a lot of fun with the car on track these days. Be safe out there. Can't wait for the next SoCal NSX trackday.

Good stuff Mario! Looks like you're having a lot of fun with the car on track these days. Be safe out there. Can't wait for the next SoCal NSX trackday.

Hey Kenny, yes having fun, particularly now that I know why I have a tendency to spin out. When I start to get squirly, I need to stay on then gas, because when I have let up on the gas in the past, the tail end of my car swings out, and by that time I'm not skilled enough yet to save it. Yes, I'm looking forward the NSX track day, particularly since I missed last years run.

And, yes I will be careful, I'm a bit older than most guys out on the track, and the older you get, the more you want to get to the finish line!

Last edited:
Your car sounds great Mario! Glad to see you are out there enjoying yourself.

Your car sounds great Mario! Glad to see you are out there enjoying yourself.

Hey Dennis, how are you and the family?

The video was made using an external microphone taped to the bumper. The exhaust sound a little raspy in that I placed the mic too close to the exhaust pipes, but it still sounds pretty good. I have a Pride II exhaust system with OEM cats and headers.

I'm trying to make a longer better video, but I can't get the video application I have to work properly. Oh well!

Mario, nice to see you still getting out there! Mike

Hey Dennis, how are you and the family?

The video was made using an external microphone taped to the bumper. The exhaust sound a little raspy in that I placed the mic too close to the exhaust pipes, but it still sounds pretty good. I have a Pride II exhaust system with OEM cats and headers.

I'm trying to make a longer better video, but I can't get the video application I have to work properly. Oh well!

It all sounds good to me. Cant go wrong with the Pride exhaust.

Family is doing well, thanks! Say Hi to Sally for us.

Back