• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I get the Skip Barber insurance?

So skip barber is telling me if I pay them $500, they will limit my liability in a car crash to $4000. Is this worth it? I am a pretty careful driver, and I am looking at this thinking.... whats the odds I will crash, then that crash will cost significantly more than 4K that I have to pay $500 for....

I mean I suppose it is all personal but would you guys buy this? I have to decide tomorrow morning.

So skip barber is telling me if I pay them $500, they will limit my liability in a car crash to $4000. Is this worth it? I am a pretty careful driver, and I am looking at this thinking.... whats the odds I will crash, then that crash will cost significantly more than 4K that I have to pay $500 for....

I mean I suppose it is all personal but would you guys buy this? I have to decide tomorrow morning.

Is this the basic 3 day school? My tuition included insurance so we had no liability. My advanced school didn't charge insurance for a $4k "deductible" over which they were responsible.

Check out the Chinese menu of prices for your crash damage expenses. They add up very quickly.

Is this the basic 3 day school? My tuition included insurance so we had no liability. My advanced school didn't charge insurance for a $4k "deductible" over which they were responsible.

Check out the Chinese menu of prices for your crash damage expenses. They add up very quickly.

Bob its the 3-day Mazda Miata racing school. There is definitely nothing free... they want $500 to limit to $4000. I did this because I got a deal through christmas now I am giving all the savings right back? It's a 3 sunny days temps 60-70. At Laguna Seca.

I did the formula racing schools but I see they charge $500 for a 3k deductible policy now for them also so I guess times have changed since I came up through their ranks.

I think its BS. I think if they charge 4K for a class they need to self insure. Or tell us the real price up front. Not make me sign up then nickel and dime me later. I am already spending another K on travel and hotel. With inusrance I am getting close to 6K for 3 days of driving... $2000/day? I mean come on...

I made sure I asked all those questions before I signed up. You should also check about liability for car to car contact. We had to pay for every car involved in an incident if we were the cause. The "non-responsible" driver would also still get hit for 1k as a way of impressing upon everyone the risks involved.

I think its BS. I think if they charge 4K for a class they need to self insure. Or tell us the real price up front. Not make me sign up then nickel and dime me later. I am already spending another K on travel and hotel. With inusrance I am getting close to 6K for 3 days of driving... $2000/day? I mean come on...

I wonder if I can get an employee discount? I didn't know that Delta Airlines bought Skip Barber. :biggrin: Spend millions in advertising and marketing and then nickel and dime your customer to piss them off so much they won't be back.

Last edited:
Re: Gravel: love it and hate it?

The chances of causing more than $4k damage is small IMHO. I don't know what they could charge for bodywork or those "zoom-zoom" stock parts, but $4k sounds pretty high especially for Laguna.

Think about all that gravel that will get you stopped before you can even see a wall. I saw a Formula Atlantic with a stuck throttle going straight off in the T-2 hairpin at a very high speed. He never got to the wall. And he's much lighter with much wider tires than a Miata; never mind the speed difference.

So maybe your worst case scenario is somehow going into a gravel trap fast enough and sideways and rolling. Lots of mildly dented bodywork and ruined paint but not much mechanical damage. But you got to be wildly out of control to have that happen.

JMHOWTFDIK? :rolleyes:

Enough worrying; go have fun. :wink:

So maybe your worst case scenario is somehow going into a gravel trap fast enough and sideways and rolling. Lots of mildly dented bodywork and ruined paint but not much mechanical damage. But you got to be wildly out of control to have that happen.

If that happens, then do this....

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YArlFKDFq6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just completed the 2-day HPDE at Laguna Seca a few weeks back. The insurance was I think $300 and limited your liability to $3000. The cars we were driving on the track were 911, M3, ISF, Evora and it could be expensive to start having to pay to replace things that might get damaged in an excursion off course so I paid but I never needed it.

However at the end of the 2nd day it started to rain on the track and a young kid (maybe 19) went off the track in the M3 coupe and into the mud but didn't hit anything.

After they pulled the car in and checked everything out (busted wheel and tire, had to replace rocker panels and I think a few suspension pieces) the bill came out to just under $3,000 and the father of the kid was writing a check on that last day. He had the insurance but the damage was just under the deductible.

From my point of view I figured I was here to learn and intended to drive their cars hard and If i put the 997 into a wall I didn't want to be on the hook for the full amount.

If that happens, then do this....

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YArlFKDFq6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LOL... thanks for the tip. I just might....

The track is A LOT safer than it use to be. Just don't be stupid in Turn 6 and DO NOT have an ego. Listen to your instructors no matter how basic or fundamental the information might be.

***The more you ask for them to keep an eye on you, and the more you bug them for feedback, the more feedback you will get/get out of the program. Just simply tell them "hey, can you keep a close eye on me, I really want to learn to get better..." -They will take that very positively and will help you out even more. The LS instructors are pretty good as a whole (compared to other regions -but I may be biased ;)), but SB is FAR better (IMO) than many schools ive seen.

I just completed the 2-day HPDE at Laguna Seca a few weeks back. The insurance was I think $300 and limited your liability to $3000. The cars we were driving on the track were 911, M3, ISF, Evora and it could be expensive to start having to pay to replace things that might get damaged in an excursion off course so I paid but I never needed it.

However at the end of the 2nd day it started to rain on the track and a young kid (maybe 19) went off the track in the M3 coupe and into the mud but didn't hit anything.

After they pulled the car in and checked everything out (busted wheel and tire, had to replace rocker panels and I think a few suspension pieces) the bill came out to just under $3,000 and the father of the kid was writing a check on that last day. He had the insurance but the damage was just under the deductible.

From my point of view I figured I was here to learn and intended to drive their cars hard and If i put the 997 into a wall I didn't want to be on the hook for the full amount.

Well said, I will also be getting the insurance when i go to my Skip Barber course.

BTW how was that turn at Leguna, as easy as it is while playing a game?

Under those terms I would self insure without too much thought about it.

The track is A LOT safer than it use to be. Just don't be stupid in Turn 6 and DO NOT have an ego. Listen to your instructors no matter how basic or fundamental the information might be.

Turn 6 is exactly where the kid went off the track.....But he went off just left of the turn before he got to it, which I thought was a strange place to go off at. I didn't see it happen so I don't know how he did it.

Well said, I will also be getting the insurance when i go to my Skip Barber course.

BTW how was that turn at Leguna, as easy as it is while playing a game?

Which turn? 6? I have never thought turn 6 was that difficult. Turn 2 and 9 (for some reason) is where I have the most trouble. But at the SB course you ride with the instructor first around the track a few laps and they show the line. I got a seat up front with the instructor and asked a bunch of questions about each turn.....when to be on the brakes.....gas....etc.

Which turn? 6? I have never thought turn 6 was that difficult. Turn 2 and 9 (for some reason) is where I have the most trouble. But at the SB course you ride with the instructor first around the track a few laps and they show the line. I got a seat up front with the instructor and asked a bunch of questions about each turn.....when to be on the brakes.....gas....etc.
6 is probably the most difficult corner on the track -and the hardest to get time out of. It's also one of the most common areas where cars crash. Now that the walls have been pushed back a good 40 feet, it is far more safe but even so, cars still find the inside wall there.

In november I did the 3-day open wheel course at Road Atlanta. Day 2 was heavy rain and 40 degrees with tires never heating up and of course a different wet line than dry.

Take it from me, get the insurance. I slammed into a wall and maxed the deductible. My insurance cost $500 and the deductible was $2k. Total damage was north of $8500.

They just put me in Another car and off I went. Get the insurance.

Re: As they say, Wreckers or Checkers

Jesus, how can this even be enjoyable? .....
I go back and forth between saying 1) this very thing and 2) "if you have to ask, you'll never understand." :wink:

The other thing they say is: "My wife wishes I was doing heroin..........it'd be cheaper."

Well I didn't take it and was lucky as there were only 6 of us in class and no clowns. I didn't push crazy hard and tried to stay safe and I was. The 4K deductible just is not worth it to me.

I asked many people many times if I should do the Mazda MX5 3-day race school or the Formula car 3 day. Never got a real answer... but since there were 4 guys already in formula, we decided to do the same and that gave everyone more track time.

What no one mentioned to me was this tidbit that an instructor there told me: The Formula cars are MUCH LESS expensive to repair should you cause damage. They were also a TON MORE fun. To anyone doing Skip Barber I recommend the Formula car over the MX5 for the 3-day race school.

What no one mentioned to me was this tidbit that an instructor there told me: The Formula cars are MUCH LESS expensive to repair should you cause damage. They were also a TON MORE fun. To anyone doing Skip Barber I recommend the Formula car over the MX5 for the 3-day race school.
I started to make a "dollars per corner" cost comment but since you were committed to the Miata, it was a meaningless comparison. And would likely be met with skepticism on any fendered car site. The main reason is that they are designed to be wrecked and quickly repaired with sacrificial bolt on parts. I'm no mechanical genius, but I replace a corner at the track in a few hours. The cost has been $1200 to $2500 per corner and I've done about 6 of them in 7 years. One reason the cost is low is that the bodywork is fiberglass and there's much less of it.

Glad you enjoyed it. I happened to be driving by Laguna on my way home about 430PM that day and wondered how you had done.

Ted, after this I am seriously considering stopping to track the NSX, and buying a Formula Mazda. They are light enough that my everyday Honda Element can probably pull on a trailer and fixing them seems cheap. They are a ton of fun and I am thinking overall even better than a Miata. My only worry is that I would never want to be mixed on the track with fendered cars, is it difficult finding days for cars like this to run on the track? Would I be OK as a beginner Formula driver for instruction? I've heard 10K will get you a good used one. I actually heard 6K but I am sure that is a junk car, if 10-20K will get a good one, that is really cheap. I am really concerned with damaging the NSX so I never push very hard in it, 8/10 max and that limits my learning.

Last edited:
Re: Formula Mazda

Turbo, I would be happy to help you do a due diligence on buying a race car in general and an FM specifically. We should do some Emails to discuss your particular situation, but for others who want answers to your questions, I’ll pontificate briefly here.

First, let me say that there are a lot of details and obstacles to having a racecar that should not be underestimated but can be overcome depending on an individual’s desire, resources and personality. I say that as a caution for both the cavalier individual who thinks it’s no big deal and for the somewhat more reserved individual who fears it’s too daunting. There is a wide spectrum of racers and racing budgets; each person needs to be realistic as to where they are now and where they can comfortably go in the spectrum.

Towing: yes you can tow on an open trailer; I started out on an open trailer using my wife’s Subaru Outback, pulling almost 3000 #. But......No hills and I was careful, so never had a problem. I held out longer than most (3 years) before buying an enclosed trailer and the required bigger tow vehicle.

Where to drive and how to learn;

• I had never been in a purpose built race car before I bought this FM; not even a Skippy Miata. All my experience had been track days in the NSX. I learned how to drive it in Trackmasters and NCRC events. I still race with NCRC (ARC) and have never had a close call on track. However, your concern for being on track with large sedans is justified and I don’t race 10/10’s with them. The older I get, the lower the testosterone and the more I think about what could happen, so risk avoidance can vary.

• Maybe I’ve been lucky but I’ve found the experienced drivers to be aware of where I am on track and being polite about not blocking. Most of the time you can pass on the straights easily, but there are big powerful cars who sometimes cannot resist the urge to pass you on the straights then hold you up through the twisty bits. But that’s possible and will eventually be anyone’s track experience; racing or otherwise.

• It is possible to just race and do open test days with other similar race cars on track. But the number of days will seem limited compared to your early novice desire to just get on track as much as you can.

Cost of an FM:

• Initial cost: For a beginner, you should definitely stay away from a $10K “project” car. You want to drive, not tinker, so a good solid car is going to be closer to $20K. You can find some OK cars for a few K less, but they’ll like need some work; may not be hard work, but it’ll involve some money and parts. I was fortunate to luck into a virtually new car; had 5 hours on it driven by a clueless geek who barely got it warmed up. So I drove my ass off for a couple of years before I had to really do much work; and of course, I was pretty easy on it too since I didn’t know how to push it hard.

• Ops budget: My race car experience parallels my airplane experience: buying it is one thing; operating and maintaining it is another. But the good thing about a hobby race car like the FM is that you can safely cut corners. Here’s a few examples:

o Tires; $900+/set delivered to the track, mounted and balanced. The fast guys use a set a race weekend (2 races or 2.4 hours on track). When I was racing frequently with those guys, I’d run a set for 2 weekends. Now, racing with ARC for the last year, I safely run tires long after the fast guys are done with them and I sometimes use their cast offs. I may be a full second a lap slower than sticker tires, but I’m having fun and don’t hardly care. Walter Mitty type racing can sometimes be like golf; you’re fast or slow any given day and don’t really know why.

o Engine rebuild: The engine never blows up, it just progressively loses HP. Now the fast guys of yesteryear (Joey Hand, Scott Speed) would rebuild every year, maybe twice a year. Nobody does that now; at least not the track record holders I race with. Rebuild cost now is $5500 plus shipping and R&R. I’m on my 6th year and my motor is not the main thing holding me back.

o Spark plugs; they are $140/set, but like the engine, they are not critical, you can replace frequently or every couple of years; or starting out, you can run $5 plugs from Pep Boys; the car will run fine for learning.

o Gas: 91 pump gas; add a bit of 100 octane if it’s hot, but $8/gallon gas won’t get you any noticeable power.

o Brake pads; the real good ones (Ferodos) are $240 for all 4 corners and last anywhere from one race weekend to 2. Or you can run cheaper Hawk Blues or Cobalts that will last all year; I used those the first year or 2.

o Video, data, pit-car radios. These are fun and add to the experience but not necessary to start out obviously.

o Extras: the fast guys carry a bunch of inventory and can rebuild almost anything at the track. I don’t do that and am prepared to put it in the trailer and go home if I wreck or break. However, when I’m racing with my FM buddies, most of the time I can get the parts from one of them there, so frequently I do fix the car at the track and only miss a session or two. That’s the beauty of a spec car.

Anyway, this is just scratching the surface of things you have or will need to think about. There are some great threads on “getting started” in both the ApexSpeed and the FM forum. In fact you might get some answers and some laughs in my clueless newbie threads from late 03 thru 04 in the FM forum. I was exactly in your shoes 7 years ago. My handle on there is NSXted.

You can EM me at tidlof (at) sbcglobal (dot) com.

Back