• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I replace the intake manifold gaskets?

I'm "deleting" my VVIS so I have my intake manifold aout at the moment. I initially just thought to myself that I should have my gaskets replaced but found out that they are very expensive (about $120 for both). Experiences?

<table width="780" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#F4F4F4"><td align="left" width="8%" height="2"> 002</td> <td align="left" width="13%" height="2">17105-PR7-A01 </td> <td width="30%" height="2">GASKET, IN. MANIFOLD</td> <td align="center" width="7%" height="2">002</td> <td align="center" width="6%" height="2">1991</td> <td align="left" width="7%" height="2">NSX</td> <td align="right" width="6%" height="2">76.41</td> <td align="right" width="6%" height="2">57.31</td> <td align="right" valign="middle" width="20%" height="2"> Qty:<input class="outlineTxtBox" maxlength="3" size="2" value="1" name="qty2">
buy.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>
You need two. Number two in the pic below:
13sl001_e03.png

These are reusable, as long as they are in good condition.

Regards,
LarryB

Once you have your intake manifold apart be sure to check the VIS plate screws! if they are lose tighten them and secure them with loctitie

That is very important indeed! I'm actually deleting my VVIS completely in order to eliminate the risk of having my engine eating these screws. Don't care about the few hp I loose, it's worth it. Besides, I'm planning to go FI.

That is very important indeed! I'm actually deleting my VVIS completely in order to eliminate the risk of having my engine eating these screws. Don't care about the few hp I loose, it's worth it. Besides, I'm planning to go FI.
Seriously i so do not recommend removing the system unless your running serious boost.

You will lose quite some mid range torque.

Seriously i so do not recommend removing the system unless your running serious boost.

You will lose quite some mid range torque.

I am aware of that, however, I value reliability higher than loosing some power. I'll guess I'll just have to see how it will affect, maybe it's not even noticable, hopefully :tongue:

Sometimes you just have to get "on top of the problem"! :wink:

Working with the engine of a widebody NSX that is up on jackstands is not easy. I had to remove the filter housing and climb up there. I'm actually sitting on my engine, wrenching.

Intake manifold out! Man that's a lot of dirt crumbled up beneath it. I'm getting the vacuum cleaner out for this. Branding every piece of connector and vacuum tube and collecting all screws and bolts in marked plastic bags.

Blower motor, intake manifold, fuel rail, air filter housing and the evap at top of pic:

I'm sending these babies off for some well deserved cleaning:

I just love pics.

VVIS deletion.

With:

Look at all that crap! WTF? Is my motor breathing this sh*t?

My screws were there, and none were loose:

Intake manifold:

Without VVIS (I cleaned it out before assembly, of course)

Did you add a spacer plate??
Now you have decreased your plenum volume as well which will hurt engine breathing at higher rpm.

No. I believe you. But I hope the reduction in performance will be negligable, but it's not a big concern for me, as previously stated since I'm planning to FI.

If it's not tolerable I'll just clean up the VVIS and follow your advice, reapply some loctite and hope for the best.

Thanks.

Back