• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Silly Season

Drama queens all of them!!! Just give all the technical data to Honda F1 so they can be competetive and they can cry, sue, and switch teams all they want. :tongue: :biggrin:

Re: Not so fast......

Might be a bit premature. All the other forums and gossip mongering sites I've checked indicate the deal is not done and that Flavio may yet outbid Ferrari.

Any one else think the giddy high of the off-track melodrama has worn off? Fred said today he's staying at McLaren. :rolleyes: Yeah right. That phuqin crap is getting old.

I'm ready for some good on-track sportsmanlike action this weekend, not a bunch of petty BS. Here's hopin'.........

I'm sure Renault will pony up what they can for Alonso. Ferrari has deep pockets though, I don't think it will be decided on the cheap. Kimi and Alonso on one team would be quite the lineup though.

Todt has stated that there is "zero" chance of Alonso joining Ferrari and that the Ferrari team will honor the contracts of both drivers.

I think the tifosi breathed a collective sigh of relief with that statement.

I'm more interested in who's going to fill Alonso's spot at Macca. Button's name was mentioned but he's entrenched in his Honda contract up to his eyeballs.

I doubt Alonso will go to Ferrari. The whole reason why he's not getting along at Mclaren is because he wants the sole #1 driver position.(he would have been if Lewis Hamilton wasn't so unexpectedly good) He would not get that at Ferrarri unless Ferrari cuts both Raikinen and Massa. Besides, Ferrari is doing decently with the two drivers they have(without any apparent issues between the two drivers). I feel that the issues with Ferrari this year is more car related than driver. If they didn't have the mid-season performance issues(monaco-US) Raikinnen would be up there with Hamilton right now.

Alonso really should just go back to Renault...they both need it.

As for Mclaren, maybe they'll pick up Ralph...that might be a decent 1-2 punch...like Ferrari with Schumacher and Barrichelo days.

Re: Where's the smiley?

As for Mclaren, maybe they'll pick up Ralph...
Ralph, as in Ralf? You're kidding, right? If I were Ron, I wouldn't have Ralf if he paid $20 mill to drive. Am I just a lemming jumping on the "Ralf Sucks" bandwagon? What has he done right in the last 3 years?

Re: Where's the smiley?

Ralph, as in Ralf? You're kidding, right? If I were Ron, I wouldn't have Ralf if he paid $20 mill to drive. Am I just a lemming jumping on the "Ralf Sucks" bandwagon? What has he done right in the last 3 years?

yes Ralf. :D I'm sure he's willing to settle for a lot less than 20mil and I'm sure he can still race decently given a good car. Toyota is no good, almost as bad as honda. Mclaren doesn't need another super driver, but rather a good supporter driver. Ralf is def past his prime but maybe he can still act as a good 2nd driver.

Re: Lewey and Fred; best buds !!

Here's what they had to say today at the press conference: (some portions deleted for brevity)

Q: (Dan Knutson – National Speed Sport News) For Lewis and Fernando; you guys have had your ups and downs this year. Coming to the season finale, how would you describe your relationship?
LH: I think it’s as good as ever. I think we have got on quite well all year, despite what the media says. They always try to make a big gap between us and they haven’t really succeeded. We just get on quite well and got on with our jobs and we continue to do that.
FA: As Lewis said, the media has been saying many many things about us that weren’t true. We never had problems with each other. We are obviously fighting on the track but off the track we have had a very good relationship from day one and it’s still the same.

Q: (Bob McKenzie – The Daily Express) Fernando, the FIA has appointed an observer in the McLaren team this weekend to ensure equality. Is this something that pleases you? Do you feel comforted by this?
FA: Not really, not really. I probably don’t agree with that decision but you know it’s not up to us. I think if they decide to do that, it’s OK, but we don’t need anything like that in the garage.

Q: (Bob McKenzie – The Daily Express) So you trust the team?
FA: Yes. As I said in China, I think I was disappointed with the qualifying performance and I felt it was a very strange result after Q1 and Q2, being a little bit closer to fight for pole position, not in Q3 anymore, but we realised that the tyre pressures were a little bit too high and this can happen in any of the qualifying sessions, so I just want to think that it was coincidence and a little bad luck, so this race should be OK.

Q: (Flavio Gomes – Warm Up) You are two young guys, very talented and you could be the best friends in the world, in an ideal world, but you are almost enemies and from a human point of view do you think Formula One, because of this, is a waste of time?
FA: I didn’t understand the question. (laughter)
Q: (Flavio Gomes – Warm Up) You are two young guys, drivers, talented, everything else, but you are almost enemies…
FM: No, you can see they are best friends…
Q: (Flavio Gomes – Warm Up) From this human point of view, would you say that this is a waste of time?
FA: I still don’t understand…(aside to Lewis, aloud) I hear your answer and then I... (laughter)
LH: I don’t think it is a waste of time otherwise I wouldn’t be here.
FM: Brazilian people are very difficult to understand. (laughter)
LH: Maybe Felipe should answer it…
FM: No, I’m fine.
Q: (MC) I think one part of the question was, is it taking away your youth in a way that at this early age of your lives that you are having this battle, this conflict?
FA: I don’t think so. ………….
LH: We are competitive people, you know, and that is where we get our energy. It doesn’t make us immediately become… look at these guys, they are a little bit older than me and Fernando has started to grow his hair a little bit – because he is worried about losing it! You know, we enjoy it and we want to continue to do it for as long as we can.

Q: (Livio Oricchio – O Estado de Sao Paulo) To Fernando. What was your reaction after hearing what Ron Dennis said in China? He said our competitor is not Kimi but Alonso…
FA: I was surprised. It is difficult to say what is true or what are just normal words that you say after the race and that you can take in a different way. You can put some problems asking me these questions and not him. So I don’t see anything strange, just surprise, but not really worried.

Q: (Ian Parkes – The Press Association) Fernando and Lewis, just looking at you here you look more at ease than we have seen you for some time, is that true?
FA: I think it is the same as always. I think when you see us together it is only on the Saturday afternoon and at the Meet the Team press conference and then it is just after qualifying and we are very focussed on the race, the strategy, the result of the qualifying, so it is maybe not a very relaxed moment. And here on this Thursday I don’t see any change from the last 10 months.
LH: I agree with that. I think like any relationship just through time spent together, and I have known Fernando since Turkey of last year, I think it is and just since then the relationship has grown and we have more respect for each other automatically. We are not here now in competition, trying to answer more questions than each other, but on Saturday, it is a little different because we are in competition.

I certainly enjoyed Bernie's puppet show today, didn't you? :rolleyes:

Mercedes releases Alonzo
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/18/report-mercedes-releases-alonso/

'You don't want us, and we don't want you.' That seems to be the consensus at Mercedes-Benz regarding Fernando Alonso, who has openly stated his displeasure over the course of the season with McLaren, the F1 team principally owned and powered by Mercedes.

According to emerging reports, the majority of the German automaker's executive board voted that Alonso is no longer a suitable representative of their company, and that his services should not be retained for an additional season. This despite the contract that binds the Spanish driver to the British team through 2008, but if neither party has any desire to uphold the conditions, the contract is rendered rather meaningless.

Mercedes motorsport chief Norbert Haug has also dismissed the speculation that they could prevent Alonso from going to a competing team next season by forcing him into a sabbatical until the contract has run out, saying, "That's not our style." Guess that means the one hurdle between the two-time world champion and a return to happier days at Renault, where he won said titles, has just been conveniently removed.

Re: Mercedes opinion versus McLaren's contract

I keep waiting for the other gossip mongering sites to pick this story up and extrapolate it to when and how Fred will depart (will it be him quitting, getting released, or put on sabbatical....etc) but it didn't happen today. McLaren and Fred have a delicate legal dance to do, so Mercedes' opinion, as strong as it is, is not bringing this mess to an easy or quick conclusion. In fact, one would question if this has helped or hurt McLaren's bargaining position. A lot is at stake here.

Re: So, where are we today?

OK, so we've got Pedro DLR spouting off about how Fred shouldn't be leaving and on and on. (Shouldn't a test driver be a little more circumspect?) Not that he knows anything, but let's just say that Fred and Ron are stuck with each other and, like a pending divorce, can't get the deal done for them to split gracefully (profitably). Things would then be quite simple wouldn't they? Assuming Fred somehow stays, winter should be fairly boring and look like this:

McLaren
Lewis
Fred

Ferrari set
Kimi
Felipe

BMW probably set?
Nick Heidfeld
Robert Kubica

Renault
Heikki probable
____________ Nelson Piquet Jr?

Williams 50% set
Nico Rosberg a keeper to Frank
_____________ Nakijema is in?

Red Bull probably set
David Coulthard
Mark Webber

Toyota 50% set?
Jarno Trulli
_____________Timo Glock?

Toro Rosso loaded with SeaBass
Sebastian Vettel
Sebastien Bourdais

Honda probably set
Jenson Button
Rubens Barrichello

Super Aguri probably set
Takuma Sato
Anthony Davidson

Spyker (Pride of India) 50% set
Adrian Sutil
____________ Rodrigues for $15 mill ?? Karthikeyan? Ralf??

ProDrive - not in the picture for 2008

Of course all this goes into a cocked hat if Fred does leave. I'm guessing we've got a couple more weeks til we find out. <Yawn>

Re: Silly Season- Yee haw !!!

Ahhhhh, yes, it will be fascinating to see which way the dominoes fall. With the Spanish sponsors allegedly staying, I wonder if they are exerting some influence to bring Pedro DLR up to the 2nd seat.

One would naturally expect Fred to "go home" to Flavio, but this Red Bull speculation involving Ross Brawn, could draw him that way. I'm not sure I understand the Ross Brawn-Red Bull connection other than Ross wouldn't be king back at Ferrari, and/or he may highly respect Fred's development talent as well as Adrian Newey and think the 3 of them could make a serious charge in the next coupla years????

Silly season's getting seriouos now !!

Wow, well, we knew it was coming I guess. Lewis isn't going anywhere...

Hmm, where will Fernando go? I have no doubt that Massa wants out of Ferrari and can get any seat he wants at this point. Kimi and Massa is a bad combo for Massa. Kimi is just the better driver and Massa knows he's too good to be obeying team orders like Barrichello had to. Toyota seems like a smart, logical choice for him. Trulli would be a great #2 and with the money and resources they're pouring into F1 it would seem they will have their day. Massa is certainly good enough to take them to the promised land.

I am very interested in who McLaren is going to go with. If I were Button, I'd get the hell out of Honda right now if there's any chance of going to McLaren. He's one of the few drivers I think McLaren would want. I could also see Heidfeld or Kubica going there. But what established veteran is going to want to drive with Hamilton? I think everyone now sees how difficult it will be as his teammate.

But Fernando and Kimi on the same team? Wow. Maybe now that Kimi finally has a title he'll be a little less insecure about Alonso coming on board. I'm sure Fernando doesn't want to go back to Renault after their poor season with a slow car. Clearly the only two teams in the hunt are Ferrari and McLaren. I don't see any other team Fernando would want to join.

Also, I'm sure Michael Schumacher would try and persuade Alonso to join Ferrari. I can't believe Michael doesn't have an enormous amount of respect for him and we know that Alonso always considered MS the best. If Kimi can get on board which he might now that the monkey's off his back, that would be the best (and only) choice for Alonso.

Re: Fred as Savior?

I don't see any other team Fernando would want to join.
One would think Fred would go for the safe/secure/immediate-results type team such as Ferrari or BMW. But OTOH, maybe Fred sees himself as the Savior to some well funded team that's hopelessly adrift just as Ferrari was when Schumi rescued them. I've always thought MS was far more the complete package (such as leadership, promotion and team-building) than just driving and developing (which IMHO, is primarily all FA is good for). But Fred may see himself as capable of leadership, promotion and team-building and think he can rescue a Toyota or bring Renault back to previous glory. Just a thought.

Re: Rosberg, Sutil & Heikki

Hamilton supposedly told reporters at Mercedes event that he thought those 3 guys are possibilities for McLaren. Of course you guys all knew that was coming, :wink: but naming Sutil was a bit of a surprise to me.

Oh and Flavio announced he's only interested in a long term deal. And it's publicly on the table for Fred's consideration.

Re: Rosberg, Sutil & Heikki

Hamilton supposedly told reporters at Mercedes event that he thought those 3 guys are possibilities for McLaren. Of course you guys all knew that was coming, :wink: but naming Sutil was a bit of a surprise to me.

Oh and Flavio announced he's only interested in a long term deal. And it's publicly on the table for Fred's consideration.

I just don't see McLaren going after Sutil. And Heikki's rookie year was less than stellar. I think signing either would be a step backwards. Only Rosberg has the goods of those three. I expected more from him but it does seem he is slowly improving over time and might be a top 5 driver in a year or so. Right now, both Heidfeld and Kubica are better than him.

I think McLaren has the power to pry just about anyone from contract at this point. I could certainly see McLaren going with a 1-year stopgap until a contract opens up in 2009 though, in which case Sutil would be an option, but not Heikki. I don't think he'd sign a 1-year deal with them. I think he knows Renault is probably the best place for him at this point. Going to McLaren and possibly underperforming and getting cut after 08 would hurt his stock long-term.

I have no doubt that Massa wants out of Ferrari and can get any seat he wants at this point.

Whoa...no doubt Massa wants out of Ferrari? That's a bit far out, wouldnt you say? Why would any driver want out of a team that can give him an excellent chance at the DC? Massa has the total support of Ferrari mngmnt going all the way to Montezomolo (who personally made sure FM was signed). And he has shown great competitiveness in terms of outright speed compared to Kimi. Massa has 6 pole positions and 6 fastest laps vs. Kimi's 3 poles and 6 fastest laps in 07

Massa (as any F1 driver) wants to win the DC and will want to drive for a competitive team. I'm sure he remembers his time at an uncompetitive Sauber.

But I guess anything can happen...

Whoa...no doubt Massa wants out of Ferrari? That's a bit far out, wouldnt you say? Why would any driver want out of a team that can give him an excellent chance at the DC? Massa has the total support of Ferrari mngmnt going all the way to Montezomolo (who personally made sure FM was signed). And he has shown great competitiveness in terms of outright speed compared to Kimi. Massa has 6 pole positions and 6 fastest laps vs. Kimi's 3 poles and 6 fastest laps in 07

Massa (as any F1 driver) wants to win the DC and will want to drive for a competitive team. I'm sure he remembers his time at an uncompetitive Sauber.

But I guess anything can happen...

Did you see the press conference after Brazil? Massa did not look happy and even Kimi acknowledged it. Massa was putting winning his home race over following team orders to let Kimi pass for a DC Massa couldn't win. I don't think Massa is going to be happy with any team orders and now that Kimi has won the title Massa's got the label of #2 even though their seasons were very similar. All reports indicate Massa isn't the most modest man and I think it's not implausible to think he would move to a team that would allow him to be the #1 even if it's not a sure winner. Now that McLaren has an open seat that would be ideal for him as they are the best team and he would not necessarily be considered a #2 even with Hamilton there. He'd be as much of a #2 as Alonso was--and I don't think anyone considered him the #2.

I just question someone's ego when they are upset at having to concede a personally important race to secure a teammate's DC that they have no chance at winning themselves. I would have absolutely conceded the position and been happy to do it even if it meant not winning my home race. He stated he was fine with it but you could tell he was not. His ego might dictate his career. Welcome to the life of being a Ferrari champ's teammate. Barrichello held the spot for a long, long time but knew that was as good as it was going to get. Massa's best days are ahead of him. I think Massa was fine with being #2 with Schumacher in the other car but he surely views Kimi as a peer or even inferior, unlike MS who was clearly superior. His ego might not be able to handle being a #2 to Kimi.

Will Massa leave? Probably not but stranger things have happened.

Back