• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Single DIN to control Neuxs 7 in my navpod?

I have a 2013 Nexus 7 that I am going to install in my navpod but am having a hard time with the next step. Which one of these options to use to connect to my aftermarket amps/speakers? I am using a hifimediy USB DAC.

Here are the issues:
- I do not want to modify my single DIN (also don't want 2 big screens in my console) cutout in my center console which currently has an old Alpine Ida-x001. Can I control the volume of my nexus that way?

- I also own a Clarion 746EQS (1/2 DIN), I love that I have a physical volume button because I don't want to use gestures to control the volume on the nexus. The clarion has blue illumination while the car's interior lights are orange. The Clarion will also leave a space because it's a only a 1/2 DIN.

-I began to think maybe there is a new generation of single DIN headunit that will allow me to control the volume of my nexus tablet? Maybe also allow me to use the basic next & prev track buttons (which are currently set as gestures, which is fine by me)? If I use a newer headunit with my Nexus, I should be able to use Viper4Android's equalizer on my tablet but then time alignment on the unit if has those options available.

What would you guys suggest?

Easiest way to use the N7 with the OEM headunit is to use a GROM unit and use the 3.5MM cable plugged into the GROM. The N7 install is not as easy as it seems. You will have to take the back cover off and also modify the charging port and Aux port to fit in the NAVPOD. You will also have to root the N7 or use a app to turn off and on with the car. Make sure to use a rapid charger in order to keep up with the N7 battery drain.

That is not necessarily true. The 2nd Gen does fit into the NavPod without removal of the rear cover nor modification of the charging and Aux ports. You can if you wish but it's not necessary. I use a Samsung wireless charger taped to the back of my Nexus to charge it. I did not want to tap into the fuse box and I drilled a small hole into the top of the NavPod to turn it off when the car is not in use. I simply ran the USB cable to the cigarette lighter through the ashtray for power. I also have a bluetooth cassette that I pair with the Nexus for audio through the stock speakers so you should be fine.

Last edited:
I have the nexus and have one all the programming with a paid-for kernel made by "timur" for the 2013 nexus. Really all covered. I actually run the nexus without a battery & it turns on & off just like a regular radio (with a power up & powerdown video that I cut out from a new NSX commercial for the NSX logo)

If anybody wants more info. PM me. I'm just too lazy to really do a write up but should one day.

edit:
Here is link to youtube on how to remove the battery from the N7 2013 model
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N2Bh4fI8Bo

Last edited:
since you have a Ida-x001 in your car currently does i have an aux input?

I currently have my nexus 7 2013 in my nsx navpod and have it on a usb otg along with a usb dac which goes output to a 3.5mm to a 3.5mm aux cable and connected to my pioneer avic 8100 nex (i know you dont want a double din but if your alpine unit have aux input you can connect as its the same thing) i have the volume preset on the nexus 7 and when i want to go to my nexus 7 volume i just switch the audio input on my pioneer headunit and have full control volume of the nexus tablet

since you have a Ida-x001 in your car currently does i have an aux input?

I currently have my nexus 7 2013 in my nsx navpod and have it on a usb otg along with a usb dac which goes output to a 3.5mm to a 3.5mm aux cable and connected to my pioneer avic 8100 nex (i know you dont want a double din but if your alpine unit have aux input you can connect as its the same thing) i have the volume preset on the nexus 7 and when i want to go to my nexus 7 volume i just switch the audio input on my pioneer headunit and have full control volume of the nexus tablet

I'm going to be buying a new a new HU. This is what i posted elsewhere

"JVC Arsenal KD-R975BTS or Pioneer 80PRS. I know 80PRs is better BUT.....
I'm using Nexus 7 2013 tablet,hifimediy U2, kicker kx 650.4 amp & CDT es62i speakers.

Here's the issue:
Pioneer:
-The one everybody loves BUT with my tablet (usb, otg, usb hub & SSD drive) the only way to get ALL audio out of my tablet will be by using 3.5mm from my DAC into a rear AUX on the pioneer.

JVC:
-Will not have Auto EQ & processing power 80PRS.
-Will be able to connect my tablet via USB for AOA 2.0 control.

So will the Pioneer still sound better because of its more powerful EQ? Remember I'm using my DAC to convert the sound. So no internal DAC/headphone connection.

Will JVC be better because it's using an all digital signal?"

Back