• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

size of the factory speaker ?

hi , 95 nsx. looking at audio upgrade, at least speaker/amp/sub...

what size is the factory speaker.... would like to do at least a high quality 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 mid and put tweeters on the door panel up top or by the front of the side window....

also, i have no sound from the mid center speaker... amp problem?

gotta do sub/amp... reviewing the threads...

thanks for inputs....

j.rho
95 nsx-t - need upgraded audio system !
02 sc430 - descent factory sound system/left alone for now. could use more sub still....
02 s500 S - not as good audio system as lexus' mark levinson. aweful nav. system - never use it.

jjrho said:
what size is the factory speaker....
All the Bose speakers(including the one often referred to as "the sub" - it's not) are approx the same size, ~ 3.5"

would like to do at least a high quality 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 mid and put tweeters on the door panel up top or by the front of the side window....
Absolutely - You can put 6.5" mids in the doors comfortably and it's relatively easy to accommodate
wink.gif

You can also locate the tweets up in the area you suggest - it gets a little crowded up there at the top of the door because of the vent duct for the window de-frost, but it will accomdate a shallow tweeter with no modification to the duct. Or, you can mount them in pods on the Sail panels (the triangular trim pieces at the front of the window). The best location for imaging/sound-stage is probably in the "A" pillars.

also, i have no sound from the mid center speaker... amp problem?
Even at the best of times it is very difficult to discern any sound coming from that speaker, which is fed by the amp in the fotwell box, common to the speaker in that module also.
Typically, the the indications of failure are popping or wailing noises or just crackles & static. Amps may be OK (& less likely, although not impossible, to be already bad on '95) if there is good quality (at least as-designed) sound from each of the doors & the footwell speaker

While the center speaker seems silly to have due to the lack of volume, you can definitely hear it if you put your ear right to it. If you don't hear anything from that, then the odds are that your sub is not working either. It is hard to tell if it is working or not because I didn't realize mine was dead for a while. The both run on the same amp.

spkr mod

thanks.
i'm gonna PM you for your mounting plates.... other info.
i'm gonna keep the stock head for now but put some 6 1/2 with tweeter and do the sub.
i've seen new sub enclosure mods here but...
i'd like to do a sealed enclosure for 8" high excursion sub, and use my old RF 4ch amp; bridge it for sub and do left /right with the other 2 channel...

is there any way to keep the antenna height down a bit? too high, r/c car look.... will get dali mod to start with but....

j.rho

Re: spkr mod

jjrho said:

is there any way to keep the antenna height down a bit? too high, r/c car look.... will get dali mod to start with but....
Smartenna will lower it during CD play, but won't control height

See here for instructions on installing a manual switch - you won't need Smartenna if you go this route.

Back