• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Slow oil leak by VTEC solenoid

So theres been this slow oil leak it seems right by the rear valve cover of the car, right next to the cam seals and by the vtec solenoid. It doesn't hit the ground because it gets burnt up by the exhaust.

I'm thinking of replacing valve cover gaskets and the rubber cam seals, any ideas on what else should be replaced in that area?

Your leak is probably the cam plug (cam seals are a different part). This happens on all of these engines. Also, there are 2 gaskets that need to be replaced on each of the VTEC solenoids (spool valves). These will also leak oil - eventually.

Last edited:
cylinder-head-rr-223503.png

As for the cam plugs, you mean #10 right?

Which are the gaskets for the spool valves, #10 and #16?

spool-valve-223505.png

Great thread. I have the same problem, got under the car last night an seen that it was leaking from looked like the vtec soliniod. Ill be getting those replaced when I take the car in for service.

Be 100% sure about the cam plugs before you begin. It's a "not so small" job and it would be a waste of time if not. Personally I would clean it with brakleener and drive it a week. This will give you a better idea of where it's leaking from.

FWIW, I have spoken to larryB at length about various oil leaks and he has almost never seen a cam plug that is actually leaking. 9 times out of 10 it is the valve covers or spool valves. As mentioned, while the cam plugs themselves are cheap, the replacement procedure requires lifting or removing the cams- not an easy job.

Before you head down this complex route, clean off the head around the cam plugs with brake cleaner and wipe completely clean. Drive the car hard for a few days and check the area. I betting it is your valve cover gasket- mine was pouring oil on my rear manifold too. :wink:

Back