• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smart Nitrous Oxide Kits by ZEX

I want to go NOS but I don't know witch one to pick.
*NOS wet setup
*ZEX dry setup (with managment unit
smile.gif

*Venom wooo too much $
*JG ??
The ZEX kit sounds good and for $520 as a dry kit will do for me. But my delema is that I was told that wet setup is better for engine. Is that true ??

Did anyone work with ZEX nos kit before?

Thanks.

If you absolutely HAVE to use a dry kit, the Zex system has some neat features. However, wet kits are better and more flexible. If you wanted to upgrade to a larger shot, you would end up with a wet kit at some point anyway.

Go with the NOS wet kit.

By the way, NEVER buy anything from JG. Javier Gutierez is a shady crook and I am amazed a reputable company like Edelbrock would do business with him. But, I guess money is more important than ethics for some companies.

Thanks Dave,
Yea, I wanted like NOS wet 70 shot or so. The only thing I like with ZEX is the all in one managment unit with throttle possision sensor. Less cables and what they say it supose to keep the air/fuel ratio stable.

Another question. Can you upgrade a dry kit to wet? Is it just changing the jet so it will take fuel with it and additional solinoid that will cut in to fuel rail ? Or is it more then this.

Thx

How does the wet NOS kit determines the right air/fuel mixture? Dos it just assumes and you have to watch your a/f meater?

thx

I would go with the NOS wet setup. It is safer. My experience with the ZEX dry setup was like having a few one note stands but then paying the price in the long run. ZEX was installed in my Legend and DAMN I loved it. The look on the faces of those turbo car drivers was worth a lot to me as I drove past them in my "NA"-V6. Not long after, I was leaking about 1 quart of oil per hour from somewhere??!?! Think It was cylinder #1

Originally posted by winreboot:
How does the wet NOS kit determines the right air/fuel mixture?
thx

Fuel is regulated the same way that the N2O is. You use a little "pill" that goes into the nozzle. They make a wide variety of sizes. They all have different sized holes in them and are numbered accordingly.

When you install the kit, call the tech line and tell them your fuel pressure and what size N2O nozzle you are using and they wil tell you which fuel pill to use. It will probably be the correct size, but you can make sure by doing a dyno pull and checking the A/F ratio or by cleaning a couple of plugs then doing a couple of runs and looking at them. If you know how to read the plugs, you can get it exactly right. It is really pretty simple.

I am thinking about going nos as well on my 99. How reliable is the engine once the unit is installed? Which manufacture make the wet kit and how much they go for?
Thanks for any input.
smile.gif

I have the 75 Nitrous Express kit. I had it installed in a place outside of Baltimore. I could not be more happy. The shop was awsome and really took precautions when working on my car. I will give you the name of the shop and the guy that worked on my car if you want. I am upgrading next week to the 120 shot. I have a B&M inline fuel pump on order to give it more fuel. NOS is very safe, however I would never activate it at less than 3800rpm. I have a fuel pressure cutoff if it drops below a safe fuel pressure. It also has a full throttle switch. Will only activate at full throttle. If you have any questions about it you can call me at 443-794-3563. That is my cell during the day.

Rob

Dave, Rob thanks for the replay. I live in Cali so i'll have Larry from NSX Modified do the work.

Larry did the work on my wet system a while back as well. I don't know how some people go without it, but he will recommend the same as he did for me. Two additional O2 sensors and 2 A/F gauges to mount somewhere in the car. It's perfect for the paranoid type like me that keeps thinking his engine will blow. It will allow you to keep an eye on the A/F ratio while you spray. It's no substitute for a proper dyno pull while tuning, but good to have afterward.
Autometers are about $50-60 a piece and the
O2 sensors are no more than another $100 installed.

Nice. I like the idea of the 2 A/F meaters I guess one for each exhaust side.
But why do you need two additional O2 sensors ??

David,

IYO...do you think running a ZEX kit at 75hp-shot would do any long-term damage to the NSX engine if you sprayed through one bottle a week?

Thanks... -Andie

Call me a NOS newbie... but what is the difference between WET and DRY NOS?

Originally posted by NetViper:
but what is the difference between WET and DRY NOS?
check out http://www.rpmoutlet.com/nosprod.htm

the main difference between WET and DRY has to do with "how" the NOS is sprayed
- a DRY system sprays N2O into the air intake where it changes into a gas
- a WET system sprays N2O with extra fuel into the intake

Then there's direct port, which is a bit more involved... more on this in the URL above.

[This message has been edited by cojones (edited 04 June 2002).]

Back