• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SMOG - can't get a Tachometer reading

jwc

Registered Member
Hi,

I went to get my NSX smogged last Saturday and the technician couldn't get a tachometer reading after hooking up his tester to the battery terminals. If he connects to the + Positive terminal in the Main Fuse Box in the engine compartment and grounds out the other lead will that give a tachometer reading? I noticed in the Service Manual that there is a Tachometer connector plug by the engine compartment fan. When is that used?

Thanks,

John :confused:

Take your car somewhere else. The only thing that will give you is a 12V power source. To get a tach reading you need to use an inductive clamp(on cars with plug wires) or the tach connector plug on cars with individual coils.

There are other ways to get a tach reading besides those listed by EdinKali but the main point is to go somewhere else since the smog guy you went to couldn't figure it out or didn't have the right tools.

I recommend going to another smog station. Their should be a device they can put over the steering column and get the tach reading. It is inductive something like that. No connection, simply put on the steering wheel console.

I recommend going to another smog station. Their should be a device they can put over the steering column and get the tach reading. It is inductive something like that. No connection, simply put on the steering wheel console.

I could have used that one when getting my car inspected in Austin last year. The clamp-on kept falling off the pickup in the engine bay. :wink:

Mark

Back