• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smog Referee Ticket?

Hey guys, I recently recieved a smog referee ticket in the RL, for my short ram Apexi intake. They cited me for modified emissions VC. 27156(b).... does anyone have any experience with referee tickets, and can offer some insight? Thanks.

you have 2 choices...

1. If you have the OEM intake and everything else that's associated with performance mods, swap it/them out, get it inspected by a state referee (charge), then go to court and pay fine (~$20)

2. Say "F the Police," show up to court, and pay $200-$400 for not fixing the car.

I've always done #2 because i no longer have my stock headers and exhaust. and it would cost me about the same to get the parts removed, then put back on. So i say screw it and pay the fine/bail.

In your case, since it's only for air intake, i'd swap it out, get it inspected, go to court and pay the small fine there.

So if I got a ticket for havin nos And no cats can I jut pay the full
ticket and not remove my headers intake exhaust tb testpipes etc??
If so please let me know, save me alot of headache..

So if I got a ticket for havin nos And no cats can I jut pay the full
ticket and not remove my headers intake exhaust tb testpipes etc??
If so please let me know, save me alot of headache..

ok, so the first time i got a state ref, it was for air intake on my nsx. paid it off at court.

second state ref was for air intake and illegal exhaust (freakin bel canto), went to the court both and paid it off.

at the larger court offices, u can pay the person at the booth the "bail" amount. other places, u will have to see the judge. just tell him that u weren't able to get the car fixed and would like to pay the bail amount. that's it...

sicarius82, thanks for the info. I'll go with #1 and just slap my stock intake box and exhaust on.

Erick,

What were you doing which resulted a cop in asking you to pop your hood on your ka9?? :confused: Hows that thing setup?:biggrin: haha

It's Eric, Rico:tongue: How's everything going man? All I have for performance... lol if you can even call it that, is a custom Apexi short ram and a custom axleback exhaust.

Real briefly, nice version of the story went down like this.....

Left a Friday night meet with Lexus people, and headed back to the shop to drop a car back before heading home. Right when we were getting ready to close the gates and go home, 3 cop cars came out... they asked if we were street racing, because they received a call from someone stating cars were street racing. How could we be street racing when we were closing up the shop? Our cars are too low to drive fast... Stupid crap.. anyways they held us, searched us, and then we popped our hoods.... gave us ref tickets. Wasted 3 good hours I could have used to sleep.

F the irwindale PD. Those cops are seriously on power trips, especially this cop named Alva with the K9 unit. This past week we had two cars out on the street for less than a minute with hazard lights on because we were opening the gate. The cop got out and instantly started writing tickets without even asking what why they were parked there.. and he decided he needed 5 more cop cars to come out to watch him give the two parking tickets. Talk about power trip.

Last edited:
Irwindale does have a lot of street racing, but those are usually late at night when the police aren't even around. It sounds suspicious to me. I would put in a complaint with the city as it sounds like they are targeting your business for easy revenue. Maybe they can get some answers as to why your area is targeted. The problem is if they keep doing that, it may hurt your business and ultimately your ability to stay in the city. In the end, keeping their business matters most. Especially in a primarily industrial city like Irwindale.

Sending 5 cars to issue tickets sounds ridiculous as well and it sounds like they don't have anything better to do. The only time I see 5 LA county sheriff cars show up at the same location is when they are raiding gang houses or other very dangerous arrests.

Omega3 is correct. I had this issue happen to me and a few friends years ago. From what I hear it's actually illegal for them to camp out and do that. I would file a compliant with the city. In my case one of the parents knew the police chief and got the officers to back off and stop profiling the cars we were driving. If that doesn't work get a lawyer... It's amazing how they listen to lawyers when the law is thrown at them.

Back